Deconstruction of IGN article

My only problem with the religion systems is that the beliefs of that religion are *fixed*-something we've *never* seen historically. I hope that-at the least-the Piety Policy "Reformation" might allow you to change *some* of your beliefs.

The other thing that worries me is Piety itself-because you can have Free Religion *and* Theocracy at the same time, it just doesn't make any sense. I wonder how they plan to deal with issues like this!

Aussie.

Your society has Theocratic Traits, and Free religious traits. (Just like you can have an Aristocratic Oligarchy and Universal Suffrage Democracy all at the same time)

As for religious beliefs (or rather benefits) being fixed... the fact that they get added on should help that (ie You found Christianity with one prophet and then later enhance it with the Martin Luther Prophet).

Its possible the "enhancement" benefit may be specific to each civ... ie a non founding civ can choose to enhance a specific religion that it follows.

Randomly picking quotes from the last few pages (for no other reason that to do that):

Yes, but what exactly differs Christianity from Islam? Spoken in game terms, of course (say: bonuses). Who will decide, how to implement each religion? Don't you see the minefield, here?

2ndary issue is "at what point in history?" Both of those religions have had 'good' times and 'bad' times.

Oh, and that's another one: Catholics or the various Protestants? That's likely far more of a minefield.

I seriously doubt Firaxis would step into that minefield as it would make the game 'political' rather than just a game.

The names of the religions don't matter. I will probably always pick Tengriism (cool logo) and name it Pastafarianism (for fun).

Definitely. May even make it into the first LP once I figure out the system.

When they say that the importance of Religion will decline in later eras, I think they're talking about the impact it will have on Diplomatic modifiers. The actual bonuses provided by Beliefs seem just as strong in the late game as they are in the early game.

And yeah, I would expect the Piety tree to be substantially reworked.

I agree.

MadDjinn, do you think we need the extra happiness and gold bonuses that any of the generic religions (plus modifiers) give you? Do you see any penalties or trade-offs of opportunity costs by choosing such? What do you think all this extra gold and happiness would do in the course of a normal civ game at the higher difficulties?

MadDjinn, do you think we need the extra happiness and gold bonuses that any of the generic religions (plus modifiers) give you? Do you see any penalties or trade-offs of opportunity costs by choosing such? What do you think all this extra gold and happiness would do in the course of a normal civ game at the higher difficulties?

Don't know yet, would have to see their changes first.

There could be yet to be announced 'negative' effects of having a religion.

Or maybe they rebalanced the entire system to incorporate these changes, so that you might need religion to do more. (ok, haha, kinda unlikely given previous patch changes)

But, for hypothesis sake, if nothing in vanilla related to the 'gold economy' or 'happiness' changes and all of this is 'piled' onto it, then it would make the game more of a 'casual/arcade' game and not a strategy game. But I'm sure some people would disagree with that statement. :rolleyes:

Don't know yet, would have to see their changes first.

There could be yet to be announced 'negative' effects of having a religion.

Or maybe they rebalanced the entire system to incorporate these changes, so that you might need religion to do more. (ok, haha, kinda unlikely given previous patch changes)

But, for hypothesis sake, if nothing in vanilla related to the 'gold economy' or 'happiness' changes and all of this is 'piled' onto it, then it would make the game more of a 'casual/arcade' game and not a strategy game. But I'm sure some people would disagree with that statement. :rolleyes:

But...but...think about the roleplayers. Yeah, that's it.

Seriously, I really hope they add consequences of actions (choices).

About the diplomacy system. In CIV IV diplomacy was great with the +/- system is that diplomacy system making a comeback in this expansion?

http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218810p1.html

Mentions that the bizarre tank seen in the Combustion tech is referred to as a 'land ship'

Religions can be built on terrain, so nearby mountains can be benefited through religion

Religious policy 'Tithing' means all cities of the faith, regardless of civilization, generate gold for you.

Founder belief 'Just War' gives a 20% boost to military units

Civilizations with conflicting policies (I.e. Freedom & Autocracy) will have diplo hit

Spies can steal technologies

Spies can rig elections, which appears to boost your favour in city-states while penalising others

Spies can initiate coups.

Melee naval units, these can capture cities

These are what I've been looking for.

I wonder what is meant by "land ship".

Thank god for the religion benefiting land, because mountains seem to be for pure decoration as of now. The EP should make them actually useful.

SPIES! Back in Civ 4, I never used spies. They didn't seem beneficial. But with City States and their tricky diplomacy, this gives me much more incentive to spy on my neighbors and risk war.

And my favorite is the melee ships. For so long I'd have huge gunships bombarding a city that's at zero and have to wait until I could get a land unit to the falling city. This will make things much easier (hopefully).

Top Bottom