Deity Plus 1 Classic Succession Game Sign-Up

Andu Indorin

Retired Druid
Uncle Sam Wants You!

Now offering, courtesy KevD and Andu Indorin:

Deity Plus 1 Classic Succession Game

Large Map (Normal, Varied, Wet, Cool, 3 Billion)
7 Random Civs, w/ Raging Barbs
The Americans (as Teddy Roosevelt)
Civ Restart is OFF

Anticipated Starting Date (assuming sufficient interest):
Tuesday, June 4th

Attachments

• start1jpg.jpg
    start1jpg.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 455
I'm interested in joining this game if there is sufficient interest in it (i.e. if enough players join - which is starting to look a little doubtful...).

I have not been playing too much Civ in recent months but Deity shouldn't be a problem. But what's this "Deity Plus 1" thing ? A hacked SAV file changing this into a level more difficult than deity ?

TheViking

This game won't be on King or lower.

Deity plus 1 as Andu's calling it is as Viking described it. Basically the level is hacked so that the AI get better production than on deity, your research is slower and your unhappiness starts earlier. Now if that doesn't sound tempting then I'm a Dutchman... :)

GAME ON!!

Andu, thanks for starting this up. Looks like a very good starting position, thank goodness - though am I right in there only being a single settler to start? Do we have any starting techs?

Also, have you verified that those who play will not need the Deity +1 patch?

For those interested, keep in mind that you'll have to have CLASSIC Civ to participate.

It should be great fun and likely a challenge as well!

I'll be on my cruise, however, from June 2nd through June 9th - after which I'm totally free (other than my presidential duties in the Democracy Game - which interested parties who like Civ2 should definitely check out - including you, Andu).

D'oh!

I don't have Civ2 classic installed and one of my friends has the CD. I won't be able to get the CD until June 4th.

Originally posted by elibb
D'oh!

I don't have Civ2 classic installed and one of my friends has the CD. I won't be able to get the CD until June 4th.

As per Andu's first post, June 4th is when the game will begin. So the timing should be right for you (unless you meant to write "I won't be able to get the CD BY June 4th).

Originally posted by Kev
GAME ON!!

Also, have you verified that those who play will not need the Deity +1 patch?

For those interested, keep in mind that you'll have to have CLASSIC Civ to participate.

I have both Classic and MGE so the above is not a problem. However, I do not have a Deity+1 patch if that's of importance.

One thing that would be nice to know a little about in advance is the main difference between Deity+1 and regular Deity. More unhappiness shouldn't be unsurmountable but is the science rate also slower and the AI more aggressive/stronger ? Also what about the barbarians ? I seem to vaguely remember someone mentioning a few months ago a ridiculously high number (dozens) of barbarians appearing on a single turn but I don't remember the context.

In any event, should be a very interesting challenge.

Sorry that I hadn't replied earlier, I haven't checked my OTHER E-Mail in quite some time.

I will throw my hat in the ring for this one, as long as we can get most of Team Classic back!:)

P.S. I haven't played SP Civ in 5 months, all MP for me. It will be very interesting it seems...

Originally posted by TheViking

I have both Classic and MGE so the above is not a problem. However, I do not have a Deity+1 patch if that's of importance.

One thing that would be nice to know a little about in advance is the main difference between Deity+1 and regular Deity. More unhappiness shouldn't be unsurmountable but is the science rate also slower and the AI more aggressive/stronger ? Also what about the barbarians ? I seem to vaguely remember someone mentioning a few months ago a ridiculously high number (dozens) of barbarians appearing on a single turn but I don't remember the context.

In any event, should be a very interesting challenge.

FINALLY BACK FROM MY ROAD TRIP!

And it sounds like we've enough to start this with:

Andu Indorin
The Viking
Kev
elibb
Flatlander Fox.

As for Deity plus: it does not require either a "hacked" .sav file nor a patch. I learned of the Deity plus (as well as Barbarian Wrath) from Smash -- that veritable sage of all things Civ2 -- in this post. Just a question of modifying the game.txt file. Having started the game at Deity plus, everyone will be playing Deity plus once their turn is up -- one of those things that are more "universal" than the "universal" variables in the rules.txt file.

As for differences from deity: my impression -- based on but one game -- is that the science rate for the AI's is faster, while the "human" player is slower. And managing happiness is a much greater obstacle to surmount in the early game (i.e., before building the all-essential Mike's Chapel). Normally, I get away with not building temples at Deity level; the one time that I've played at Deity plus, temples and military garrisons are all but necessary. As a rule of thumb, do not build a city until you've built a road for those trade arrows!

As for those pesky barbarians. The game is set only at Raging Barbarians. For an example of Barbarian Wrath, see the file I attached in the

Barbarian Wrath thread. (I still get a kick out the "hammer & anvil" routine I played against the Mongols ... nothing like having 200+ barbarians to occupy your enemy's attention while your howitzers on the roll :lol: !)

Tonight, on The American Experience, "Origins of the American Dream: America's First 4000 Years," narrated by David MacCollough. Produced by WGBH-TV, Boston, and underwritten by the Ford Motor Corporation. The American Experience is funded locally by viewers, like you. ...

(Wide-angle, pan shot of Washington, showing various memorials and monuments dedicated to the heroes of American history.)

(Cut to narrator David MacCollough, walking along the Reflecting Pool of the Mall.)

MacCollough: "Long before the Golden Age of Democracy, when America came to rule the world; long before the early Republic that overthrew the tyranny of the King; long before American commerce reached out its mighty hands to encircle the globe; long before baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet; long before the realization the American Dream; long before all this, there was a beginning!

"In the deep mists of Time, there must have been a beginning. Only in recent years have archeologists and ethnographers successfully deciphered pre-literary records to reveal the beginnings of American Civilization."

(Cut to Dr. Fleckenstein, Prof. Emeritus of Anthropology at the University of Chicago.) Fleckenstein: "The first 4000 years of American Civilization represents one of the most fascinating periods in American History. So much advancement, so much development that would define the American Dream as we know it today. We are only beginning to understand the profound ramifications of each and every little piece of evidence that archeologists have discovered in pre-historic Washington."

(Cut to MacCollough, standing in room 3a of the subterranean caves near Washington)

MacCollough: "Here in a subterranean world near Washington, archeologists have discovered pictographs of what must be the earliest beginnings of the American Dream. The oldest of these pictographs, dating to approximately 4000 b.c., shows a mythical leader of the American people, holding in his arms a pair of tablets containing the first known Code of Law of the American people; coincidentally, it has now been determined that this is also the first instance of the practical application of the Alphabet."

"A second pictograph, also dating from around 4000 b.c., shows the early American tribe fleeing from a great beast that resembles the modern day bison. Archeologists are still uncertain as to the meaning of this pictograph. Does it mean that early Americans were vegetarians? Or that they had a primeval fear of the color brown. The controversy rages in academic circles of the so-called 'Fleeing Buffalo' pictograph."

(Camera follows MacCollough as he leaves Room 3a and enters Room 6d).

"This next pictograph is of great historical significance. Dating from around 3950 b.c., in the so-called 'First Contact' pictograph, we see the American tribe approach another tribe; and the mythical leader of the Americans is shown demonstrating their Code of Laws. In the second part of the pictograph, the warriors of that tribe join with the American people, riding fierce machines of war drawn by beasts of burden."

(Cut to Prof. Hornswoggle, Chair of Anthropology of the New School of Social Research.) Hornswoggle: "It is imperative to understand the importance of the first contact between the nascent American people and other tribes in an unknown world. With the acquisition of Chariots, the Americans quickly became a formidable power. It was perhaps regretable that the Americans still lacked the ability to tame horses and construct a wheel, since this may have led to the so-called imperium maximus reduntia ad infinitum during the early Wallamallo Period."

(Cut to MacCollough back in Room 6b). MacCollough: "Another pictograph, dating to 3900 b.c. , the "Chariot-Archer" pictograph, demonstrates the superiority of the Chariot, which cows another neighboring tribe into surrendering all the Archers."

(Camera follows MacCollough from Room 6b to Room 1d). "And here we arrive at a magnificent room of pictographs which, taken together, have been called the Washington Codex. The first, dating from 3800 b.c., depict the founding of ancient Washington. In the next, dating from 3750 b.c., the mythical leader of the American people orders the tribal shamans to develop a way of disposing of dead bodies without cremation. The next panel, dating from 3650 b.c., shows American Charioteers converting another tribe into Settlers, the first instance of imposed labor in early American society. The next two panels, dating from 3500 b.c., show American shamans conductng the first Ceremonial Burial; and the mythical leader of Americans directing the tribal sages to develop the foundations for a new form of government, so that the leadership of the American people may pass to a new leader every generation."

"Taken together, these pictographs provide the foundations for a reconstruction of the most ancient history of the Americans. In an room adjoining the site of the Washington Codex is another pictograph, contemporary with the previous panels, the meaning of which scholars continue to debate. So controversial is its topic, that government authorities refuse to allow public viewing of it. We asked Prof. Snogwort, from the University of Boise State to discuss the implications of the so-called 'Fleeing Chariot' pictograph."

(Cut to Prof. Snogwort): "Many believe the 'Fleeing Chariot' to be the work of an early heretical sect. The very idea of America's elite Charioteers fleeing from another ancient tribe is too hard to stomach for many of the power elite of this great society. However, needless to say, the liberal-left will find deeper meaning in such a pictograph; but as yet, their interpretations are, at best, fickle."

(Cut to MacCollough) MacCollough: "Here in Room 11f, we come to the 'Great Disorder' pictograph from 3250 b.c.. Here we see the growing city of Washington thrown into upheaval."

(Cut to Dr. Fleckenstein) Fleckenstein: "Among the most interesting of the early pictographs presenting a history of the early American people, the 'Great Disorder' pictograph illustrates the problems facing a growing society. We have been able to determine that growth in early Washington necessitated a change in early tax policy, resulting in the development of the first 'luxury expenditures,' which consumed up to 40% of the early income base. This resulted in the development of the first class-based society in American history, with part of the population being happy, while the remainder of the population were unhappy. A phenomenal concept!"

(Cut to MacCollough) MacCollough: "The remaining pictographs, upon which the early history of the Americans are based, represent early explorations of the American people into the wilderness around Washington. These pictographs demonstrate, dating up to 3000 b.c. ..."

STATIC

(Voiceover) PBS regrets to inform you that the Ford Motor Company has ended its sponsorship of The American Experience, due to preferential treatment given to one of its competitors during the introductory segment ...

Note: should have Monarch by the Oedo Year 2850; true to form, happiness is brutal; also, I left the hut in the north uninvaded so as not to mess up the march toward Monarch; it may also serve as "warning beacon" of any approach from the north, so keep on eye on it.

Hi Andu:

I installed the FW patch by Cedric today, and it seems to run. If this is compatible with your new game, and you need another, count me in. I won't have time until about the 7th, though.

I'll have to try loading a D+1 file, though, as all the D+1 I've treide creating with MGE run just fine until it comes time to load a saved D+1 file.... then MGE crashes and closes (but no system crash). Barb+1 works fine, just not D+1.

So I'm not 100% sure the FW would work, given what happened to MGE.

Originally posted by starlifter
Hi Andu:

I installed the FW patch by Cedric today, and it seems to run. If this is compatible with your new game, and you need another, count me in. I won't have time until about the 7th, though.

I'll have to try loading a D+1 file, though, as all the D+1 I've treide creating with MGE run just fine until it comes time to load a saved D+1 file.... then MGE crashes and closes (but no system crash). Barb+1 works fine, just not D+1.

So I'm not 100% sure the FW would work, given what happened to MGE.

It'd be cool to have you join us. As for the programming mechanics, your guess on compatibility is as good as mine. I was able to install Cedric's FW patch for Classic a-okay; but was never able to get the MGE patch running with my Classic. So, let's a try test: download the above saved game, save with FW, post the *.sav file, and let's see if we can load it without any problems. (And if that fails, maybe we can jerryrig something else.)

I have now played several turns but one thing has not been decided: How many turns should each player play and what should the limit (days) be for completing one's turns ? I noticed Andu played 20 turns.

Unhappiness is clearly a much nastier problem than at deity, and things are going slower. Founding a city makes half the nation very angry. However, luxuries are now down to 0% thanks to a temple rush bought for $$ from a hut and a warrior in each of our two cities. The science rate is very uneven. When I started playing I calculated that it should probably take 6-8 turns to discover monarchy but I discovered it *much* sooner. Probably one of the AI civs discovered something, thus speeding up our science rate (?).

I will finish playing and post a more detailed log within 24 hours.

The Viking

Originally posted by TheViking
I have now played several turns but one thing has not been decided: How many turns should each player play and what should the limit (days) be for completing one's turns ? I noticed Andu played 20 turns.

Unhappiness is clearly a much nastier problem than at deity, and things are going slower. Founding a city makes half the nation very angry.

20 turns seems like a good number for five players starting out; hopefully, Starlifter will be able to join us. As for a limit (days) for completing one's turn, I haven't really run into a problem in any of my succession games; usually if a player has been unable to completer their round, we've been notified. (By the way, any one else have business trips/vacations coming up?)

As for unhappiness: you can see why Mike's Chapel is so crucial at this level!

Nothing changed, 40% luxuries are temporarily necessary to prevent riots. The next Oedo year is in 2850 but it seemed impossible to have Monarchy by then. Then there's one in 2650 and that one should have been possible even if we get a tech out of a hut. So a hut will be popped next turn. Make a rough plan on the placement of cities.

And so it begins:

The Illustrated Guide to American History
Vol. II: 3000 BC to 2050 BC
Edited by The Viking

In 3000 BC the Americans became rich when 50 bars of gold were found in an empty hut. This caused a temporary spurt in activity throughout the empire (well, actually just one city) and in 2950 BC monarchy was unexpectedly discovered !! Seeing what was coming, all of the troublemakers in Washington (about half its population) formed a team of settlers and left the city.

2900 BC was a year of riots and chaos. The first revolution in American history took place. Lasting 50 years, it resulted in someone becoming a so called king - the first one in American history. This caused lots of confusion and misunderstanding and many people asked "Why king ?". For reasons not yet understood despite years of research by many linguists both the spelling and pronounciation of this particular phrase gradually changed to "Viking" and the king became known as Viking or The Viking. Following this was an unventful period until 2750 BC. In that year, the settlers that left Washington in 2950 BC decided to stop wandering around and founded a new city and named it New York. So contrary to popular belief, New York was founded almost 5000 years ago. Founding New York made lots of people very angry (in fact everyone on the settler team). So a special form of music referred to as Elvis was created to make the people happy. However, this was an extremely complex piece of music so everyone in the city was involved. Productivity was therefore minimal and Washington considered imposing a special tax earmarked for entertainment but when it was determined that a 60% tax was needed to make NYC happy it was finally decided to do nothing.

2700 BC was a year of victory for the religious right when it was decided to spend almost all of the US gold on a temple in Washington. This great building was completed in 2650 BC. Over this 50 year period Washington's size doubled. In 2550 BC Washington completed a warrior unit and sent it towards NYC. This caused riots and disorder in Washington, thus the warriors immediately returned to Washington. To compensate, a warrior team was bought in NYC to establish martial law and force more productivity. This greatly improved the science rate and in 2350 BC the art of writing was discovered. After a big debate it was decided to start researching pottery after someone mentioned something about a big garden.

2300 BC was a good year for America's army when a tribe consisting of a legion joined us. However, the fact that these were not free (they needed support from Washington) caused the "Free Army Now Society" to protest in Washington. At a similar time, lots of entertainers were hired in NYC to prepare for the influx of lots of unhappy people. In 2200 BC NYC's size doubled with the arrival of travellers which told stories about people called Romans that where building something called a Colossus. Nobody knew what this was but it sounded impressive.

In the years around 2150 BC Washington reached size 3 and suddenly America was number 3 in world population. However, entertainers were needed to keep all of these people happy. In 2100 BC Washington's size decreased again when a team of settlers headed east.

(continued in the next message)

Attachments

• 2050bc.jpg
    2050bc.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 419
Top Bottom