1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Delay before 034 compatible release

Discussion in 'Fall Further' started by Vehem, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

It was originally planned to block specific civs from random selection (so that we can effectively allow players to "turn off" the FF civs as they wish - we try to make as much of the content optional as we can) but the leaders option should be possible too (might even be the better way to do it).

2. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

Might be pushing it at this - hadn't realised at the time but both Xienwolf and myself are away for much of the weekend. Will see what we can do, but it's being awkward at the moment...

3. Kael

Kael Deity

If you are running into any technical issues Im glad to help get them straightened out. Dont hesitate to ask.

4. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

D'oh! :D no worries, we'll just wait. have a nice weekend ;)

5. Dogfax

Dogfax Chieftain

cant wait for this... the cherry on top of the perfect cake.

6. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Mostly it is a raw Time factor really, even with the extra week you gave us ;). Lots of overlapping items added which we have to decide how to compromise or which one to stick with (like half of your Civilization Traits are completely useless since we already didn't need the buildings). The merge into patch G itself wasn't too bad after re-sorting the XML, though I am getting crashes here and there (most likely due to me trying to leave some things unchanged for Vehem to decide on later)

7. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

Aye - it's pretty much as Xienwolf said - lack of time. We had a long summer with plenty of progress made, but both of our time tables are pretty much linked to the academic year (I'm a high school teacher and Xienwolf is both studying and teaching) and the first term of the year is always the most difficult (for me at least) until things settle into a routine.

Any technical issues that we've been coming up against are self inflicted anyway (changing the oil on a moving car and all that :D) but on the whole I think it'll be fine given a little time...

8. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

Perhaps your students could benefit from a little XML/python/C sweatshop workshop? It'd be fun, plus teach logic and real computer skills!

9. arcticnightwolf

arcticnightwolf Emperor

Good idea! Seconded that! + They can have ideas how to improve FF. :D:D

10. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

MaxAstro has some interesting mods for the Amurites that he seems to waiting on the new FF release to post. Maybe you could coordinate with him on this.

11. MaxAstro

MaxAstro Spiral Knight

I've actually decided to release for the current version of FF; I'm just trying to get Channel working first, which is mainly an issue of getting it to target the proper unit. Once I get that working, I'll just have a few minor tweaks to make to things before I post.

Besides, once the new version of FF is out, it'll probably take me nearly a month just to update all my changes to the new version. :)

12. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

13. MaxAstro

MaxAstro Spiral Knight

TELL me about it. XD Sometimes it feels like 75% of the work I do is just updating the work I've already done for new patches... :p

EDIT: Channel is (mostly) working. Still one bug I can't crush (can't find a way to effectively prevent the unit from targeting itself, which makes Channeling for any spellcasters weaker than the caster impossible), but I might have to live with that for the release version. The only real issue with that is it makes it impossible for Wizards to Channel for (non-High) Priests and Spellswords. But I can live with that.

So, if all goes well, I'll probably be posting my mod Saturday (gonna be busy tomorrow, obviously :) ).

EDIT2: Although to think of it, Sunday might be more likely, as I may be busy Saturday, too.

14. Kael

Kael Deity

If it makes you feel any better 95% of the work on 0.40 is in the scenarios so it won't have nearly the merge requires of other versions. The scenario specific code is run out of a new file that doesn't run unless your playing one of the ice scenarios so mod modders can ignore it.

There are some AI changes being made (I like doing AI and scenario work at the same time since its a lot easier to understand the specifics of a situation in a scenario than on a random map) and 1 new feature added so far. But outside of that it should be a relatively easy merge.

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

so 0.40 is the one coming right after 0.34 , or will there be some other versions inbetween?

16. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

We kind of figured that was the case. Quite a few big plans for new features ourselves, but unfortunately probably won't be getting them out (or even cleaning up Scions that much) with this next release. But in the future we can make our major version changes be because we are including new features of our own, especially if we wind up with a full team working on things ;)

17. Kael

Kael Deity

0.40 is the next version. "Shadow" is done.

Very cool, Im excited to see what you guys come up with. :goodjob: