Denmark Civilization and Scenario Pack and Explorers Map Pack due for may 3rd

It looks like both Oslo and Copenhagen have been removed as city states in preparation for this DLC as their text entries now say "Quebec City" and "Sydney" respectively.

Quoting Civ5GameTextInfos_Civilopedia.xml:
Code:
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_COPENHAGEN_TITLE">
			<Text>Sydney</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_OSLO_TITLE">
			<Text>Quebec City</Text>
		</Row>

It looks like both Oslo and Copenhagen have been removed as city states in preparation for this DLC as their text entries now say "Quebec City" and "Sydney" respectively.

Quoting Civ5GameTextInfos_Civilopedia.xml:
Code:
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_COPENHAGEN_TITLE">
			<Text>Sydney</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CIV5_OSLO_TITLE">
			<Text>Quebec City</Text>
		</Row>

Why Quebec City, when not just Quebec? Eh?

Quebec is a province, not a city. I'm actually a bit surprised Sydney wasn't in the game already. Was Oslo cultural or maritime?

I still think they should have changed Tyre to maritime and added a militaristic city-state, personally.

Oslo is a Danish city, now? And that video has Kaupang, too. Yeah, this isn't Denmark, it's Denmark-Norway. I guess this paves the road for Austria-Hungary and similar alliances as potential future civs.

Keep in mind it's under the title of Denmark. Denmark-Norway started as essentially Denmark conquering Norway. It also represents the Danes during earlier periods. In other words, it paves the way for Austria, not Austria-Hungary (which is not at all dissimilar in this regard). Likewise, if they chose to go down that path, it would pave the way for Poland, not Poland-Lithuania.

Quebec is a province, not a city. I'm actually a bit surprised Sydney wasn't in the game already. Was Oslo cultural or maritime?

I still think they should have changed Tyre to maritime and added a militaristic city-state, personally.

Quebec can refer to both the city and the province. I have never heard it referred to as Quebec City and it sounds incredibly awkward that way, so I don't see why they wouldn't use the completely legitimate title of just simply Quebec.

Valkrionn, yeah, I'm just not a fan of saying "Austria-Hungary" because it suggests people only know of the Hapsburg Empire because they lost in WWI. The idea of representing an empire at its height when it includes independent peoples and representing those people too is perfectly fine. Denmark represents Denmark-Norway.

In other words, I'm anti-hyphen :p

Dark_Jedi06, Ville de Quebec in French. I think that's the official name, Quebec is just colloquial.

Keep in mind it's under the title of Denmark. Denmark-Norway started as essentially Denmark conquering Norway. It also represents the Danes during earlier periods. In other words, it paves the way for Austria, not Austria-Hungary (which is not at all dissimilar in this regard). Likewise, if they chose to go down that path, it would pave the way for Poland, not Poland-Lithuania.

That's what I was getting at, though!

OK, then I think we agree. The only point I'm trying to make is that the Austrian Empire at its height didn't have a hyphen (it wasn't called Austria-Hungary). Same empire, different name. And when it was at its height, it was just called Austria.

Interestingly enough, they had Austria in Civ3. Their leader was Charles V, who was also Charles I of Spain. I think if they do add them again Maria Theresa would be a good choice as well.

Interestingly enough, they had Austria in Civ3. Their leader was Charles V, who was also Charles I of Spain. I think if they do add them again Maria Theresa would be a good choice as well.

Austria wasn't playable in Civ3 though. The engine only supported 31 civs, iirc. Austria was #32.

Maria Theresa would work equally as a leader for the German civilization in future games; she was one of the German leaders in Civ2, btw. :)

Yeah, they had they art, though.

Wasn't Maria Theresa ineligible to be head of the Holy Roman Empire because of salic law? Since the Germans in the game seem to go Germanic tribes, Holy Roman Empire, and Prussia, it would seem a bit odd to have her represent the place she was ineligible to rule.

Yeah, they had they art, though.

Wasn't Maria Theresa ineligible to be head of the Holy Roman Empire because of salic law? Since the Germans in the game seem to go Germanic tribes, Holy Roman Empire, and Prussia, it would seem a bit odd to have her represent the place she was ineligible to rule.

She was Empress Consort of the HRE - she was daughter of one emperor, married to another and a sort of co-ruler with a third, her son. It would be news to the Austrians that they were ineligible to rule the HRE when they were at the height of their power ruling the HRE. ;)

And her daddy paved the way for her personal inheritance with this happy document.

Yes, the Austrians were most definitely a part of the greater Germanic civilization. Having an Austria separate from Germany is a very modern idea -- you can thank Bismarck for that, really.

I like this civ. I am Norwegian and it seems the game developers have studied a little bit of scandinavian history. Ties between Denmark and Norway was tight even before Norway came under Danish rule after the Black Plague in effect ended Norway as a sovereign state. From then on until the end of the Napoleonic wars Norway was ruled from Copenhagen.

I think I was thinking of Victoria. Salic law barred her from keeping her family's traditional holdings, so they went to her brother.

Yeah, it could work either way. I could see her a German leader, but Frederich and Bismark are great competition for her.

Glad that Scandinavia is finally getting some love

I think I might rename the Danish Civilization to Denmark-Holland or Kalmar Denmark though simply because it seems more encompassing and representative of Scandinavia. (and sounds cooler)

I found Harald Bluetooth to be an interesting choice. I would've gone with Cnut, since he was without a doubt the greatest of the early Scandinavian kings (and the first to form an empire), but I can understand their decision -- Harald is more "Viking-y" as a convert from paganism, whereas Cnut was clearly Christian. Cnut's certainly more "civilized" in terms of possessing qualities one looks for in a Civ-game leader. But Bluetooth is still an adequate selection.

If this iteration of the civ hadn't been so clearly Danish-themed, I might have suggested Norway's Harald Finehair or maybe Magnus the Good (who ruled both Norway and Denmark). The only problem with Magnus is that he too is a Christian option. Finehair would've been a proper pagan Viking killer stereotype. :)

Top Bottom