Denmark

I have some bugs I am reporting tonightish. I'll make a report for this too.

I missed the change where pillage yields go to one city instead of all cities. So in my last game I rushed to runestones and then to 'zerkers, and barely managed to push a mandekalu cavalry rush out of my territory. I finally made it into enemy lands to pillage a tile and...

was very disappointed. :[

I'm sure the change is ultimately for the best, but I definitely miss the faux-global yields.

I so dislike how Denmark is now. We took a minor issue and instead of tweaking it just smashed it to pulp...

Pillaging raids are “meh” at best now. Not worth the risk of unit loss and pissing off the other civs.

Wish we could give their UU a (non upgrading) pillaging bonus so we could do some Viking era style play..

Last edited:
The culture you get from a properly executed raid still substantial. I'm fine with it.

The culture you get from a properly executed raid still substantial. I'm fine with it.

It's not. Sorry.

As I stated, it would be nice if their UU had some sort of extra pillage bonus. (that is lost on upgrade) It would allow us to play Denmark as Vikings during the "time period" that they were Vikings.

I am guessing Denmark is probably "locked in" now. So I don't expect anything.

Reactions: 4CV
It's not. Sorry.

As I stated, it would be nice if their UU had some sort of extra pillage bonus. (that is lost on upgrade) It would allow us to play Denmark as Vikings during the "time period" that they were Vikings.

I am guessing Denmark is probably "locked in" now. So I don't expect anything.
Of course Denmark is now weaker, and this is good. Having 20 or 30 cities which trigger several hundred gold and culture for pillaging one tile was over the edge.
Remember, the gold and culture not only grow over time, also the amount of tiles that can get pillaged grow. Its a soft version of exponential growth, but alteast not as strong as it was before, cause it was definitly unblanced, especially in the hand of an experiencedhuman player which is able to exploit that ability.

I’m cool with them being weaker.. I just don’t like their base appeal.. the pillage raid wars, had been nerfed to the point of not worth doing. The problem is if the yields aren’t big enough you have to take cities to stay ahead... if your going to start taking cities pillaging becomes less appealing because you have to fix all the tiles you just pillaged...

Also compared to other civs.. they weren’t THAT over powered before. We have a civ that gets a large amount of gold and a nice building everytime they make a city and a civ that gets multiple free automatic luxuries in every single city they make... at least pillaging has risk of taking on someone too powerful and taking loses.

I’m cool with them being weaker.. I just don’t like their base appeal.. the pillage raid wars, had been nerfed to the point of not worth doing. The problem is if the yields aren’t big enough you have to take cities to stay ahead... if your going to start taking cities pillaging becomes less appealing because you have to fix all the tiles you just pillaged...

Also compared to other civs.. they weren’t THAT over powered before. We have a civ that gets a large amount of gold and a nice building everytime they make a city and a civ that gets multiple free automatic luxuries in every single city they make... at least pillaging has risk of taking on someone too powerful and taking loses.

I see it as melee units get a huge bonus on top of a pillaged tile, 25% is more than defender of the faith/crusader spirit and ofc stack with those, the extra yields from pillage is a nice cherry on top.
Sure its not what it used to be ... but it used to be broken.

We can always change it back to :c5production:/:c5culture: (for one city) if it's too weak.

I think they're in a good place now. The UA is already exploitable enough, don't need to have the UB be broken too. It's still a great building. The weirder thing about Denmark is that they're insanely strong on archipelago-style maps while being borderline useless on land maps. But they're not the only map-dependent civ, so that's alright I guess.

They're still good on land maps if said maps have an abundance of lakes like Communitas.

Berserkers still feel bad because they have lower CS than the unit they are replacing...

Yes, they're strong and can come out early. But they also have 20 cs compared to 22 for a long swordsman. It's not like Denmark can just beeline for the UU without giving up the UB either.

I think the extra move is more than enough to make up for the CS loss, myself. Zerks are in a hybrid place between foot and horse, having 3 moves but still getting defense bonuses feels like a good deal to me.

With early unlock units like the Berserker, couldn't they have a special promotion, lost on an upgrade which gives them +2 Combat strength on unlocking Steel. That means there isn't a 22 Combat strength unit coming out of Metal Casting, but means Denmark units later Berserkers aren't worse than enemy Longswordsman.

I think the extra move is more than enough to make up for the CS loss, myself. Zerks are in a hybrid place between foot and horse, having 3 moves but still getting defense bonuses feels like a good deal to me.

The thing is, Berserkers have had this same CS since before Swordmen and Longswords got buffed. Buffing them without compensating Berserkers was an indirect nerf to Berserkers. They're great tercios... and feel bad as long swords. They also don't even keep the 3 move on upgrade, so it's just a free charge and amphibious. That's not as huge a spike.

I think the question is:
Are Berserkers intentionally at a lower CS than Longswords? Or was it just overlooked when longswords got their most recent buff?

I think the question is:
Are Berserkers intentionally at a lower CS than Longswords? Or was it just overlooked when longswords got their most recent buff?

It should be noted that the Viking pillage CS buff is actually quite powerful. It is not a "combat buff" like a normal adjusts, it actually increases the base CS of the unit (for example a 38 CS fusilier turns into a 47 CS).

This is very powerful because it has a multiplicative effect on every other modifier on the unit. No other effect in the game works this way, so its a very unique and powerful bonus. I actually just reported it as a bug yesterday because I didn't know that was possible.

Here is a quick example:

38 CS Fusilier gets +30% CS from promotions, which equals 11.4 CS.
47 CS Fusilier gets +30% CS, which is 14.1 CS. So your base promotions are actually contributing more than normal.

So while a berserker may have a lower CS at base, put it on a pillage tile and it will have a strong CS to work with.

Top Bottom