• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Destructoid hands-on preview - 12th of Aug

They woudln't be unqaulified, but you'd personally think of them that way, which amounts to the dame thing no?

They woudln't be unqaulified, but you'd personally think of them that way, which amounts to the dame thing no?

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said such a thing.

Don't want to be rude, but I find hard to take with a lot of seriousness someone that says that the best defense tactic in Civ IV is piling units on cities ... mainly because cities in civ IV can become easily negative defense bonus terrain :p

Yeah I noticed that too. I think sometimes these weird comments we hear from reviewers are their attempts at repeating the information the devs give them. It's fair enough when you consider that not every reviewer is going to have the same experience playing the game as the player fanatics, especially in a niche game like civ.

You won't find mention of the tactics that people like TMIT and other high level players would be talking about - siege initiative, spawn busting, bulbing etc.

True, but siege ( bombing + collateral ) and city raider are pretty much standart war tactics in Civ IV ... c'mon, they are even mentioned in the tips showed while loading. There is little excuse for not understanding that a city stripped of defenses and attacked by a unit with 25% ( I'm being nice and not taking it to CR III ) bonus when attacking cities is a death trap ...

I hate McDonalds, and I don't like French High Cuisine...
I don't like cIV marathon games and I never played CivRev...
I think I'm always right and I have nothing better to do than hang around here...

Should I post and enter the discussion? :whipped:

You won't find mention of the tactics that people like TMIT and other high level players would be talking about - siege initiative, spawn busting, bulbing etc.

You're annoyed that reviewers, playing a canned scenario of a game they've never seen before, aren't formulating/employing advanced tactics? They should be ashamed of themselves, not unraveling the secrets of Civ5 in the five minutes of heavily scripted play they're given!

You're annoyed that reviewers, playing a canned scenario of a game they've never seen before, aren't formulating/employing advanced tactics? They should be ashamed of themselves, not unraveling the secrets of Civ5 in the five minutes of heavily scripted play they're given!
No, he is commenting, in response to me, that the person in question does not have the civ game baggage that some have here ... but that doesn't stopped him of making himself high and might by proclaming that a completely stupid defense tactic in civ IV is the best way to defend there. That is enough to make anyone atleast wary of the accuracy of the comparisons he makes between civ IV and V , no ? Since he clearly does not know civ IV as good as that, I mean ...

I hate McDonalds, and I don't like French High Cuisine...
I don't like cIV marathon games and I never played CivRev...
I think I'm always right and I have nothing better to do than hang around here...

Should I post and enter the discussion? :whipped:
You'll fit right in. :D
You're annoyed that reviewers, playing a canned scenario of a game they've never seen before, aren't formulating/employing advanced tactics?
No.
They should be ashamed of themselves, not unraveling the secrets of Civ5 in the five minutes of heavily scripted play they're given!
Strange thing to say...
As rolo pointed out, I was talking about the comments reviewers make of strategy from other games - not the one being reviewed/previewed.

Top Bottom