Difficulty changes

T-Brd addressed this to me and reminded me the AI is "supposed to be" at Noble in this area.

I'm not following your reasoning? -6 crime/pop and -6 edu/pop is for the player, And the AI plays with different rules (noble difficulty)?

I just figured out why some of India's cities have crazy high crime. He parks a big bunch of Highwaymen in one of his cities as garrison. Each of which have +crime value. And they are owned by India himself (confirmed in World Builder).

And no, I haven't updated SVN yet.
Good discovery. That may also account for some of SO's crime meltdowns for the AI. That is something that can and should be addressed. If you would, put 'chipotle' in the cheat code and figure out what AI type those Highwaymen are assigned? Do you know how to do this? The cheat code line is in the config file and when it's set to Chipotle, it will give you the ability to hold down shift or ctrl (can't remember offhand) on the plot and you should see what AI's the units on that plot are operating under.

T-Brd addressed this to me and reminded me the AI is "supposed to be" at Noble in this area.

Good that you figured out why India is struggling. If Highwaymen are a top tier unit for the AI it will build it. Even if it is not a clear cut Mil. unit. The AI is supposed to be guided by a set of AICombat tags iirc. Apparently Highwaymen are not tagged properly? :dunno: Not my area and above my pay grade. :coffee:
Once we find out what AI's they are set to we can use the NotUnitAI tag to define what they cannot be used for and definitely eliminate that from their list of possible AIs if they happen to be on that list. They can be selected as other things like basic attack sometimes, without the AI for that being defined as one of their 'types' in their XML - selected due to strength and movement and so on, which would not be unusual for these units. As long as it isn't stated to be NOT to be used for this kind of selection, the unit is available for it if it qualifies as the most effectively trained type for that.

I'm not following your reasoning? -6 crime/pop and -6 edu/pop is for the player, And the AI plays with different rules (noble difficulty)?
Correct. The AI plays at the noble setting while the player plays at the setting used by the difficulty setting they are on. I think Joe understands this at this point, right Joseph? I just want to make sure we're all on the same sheet of music here.

Correct. The AI plays at the noble setting while the player plays at the setting used by the difficulty setting they are on. I think Joe understands this at this point, right Joseph? I just want to make sure we're all on the same sheet of music here.

Oh I understand it, have for a long time. DH told me that long ago and is why I played for testing on Noble for so long Before I became a team member.

But... the Nightmare Deity and in fact most difficulty levels above Prince the AI is given "bonuses" (their difficulty decreases) as the difficulty levels are increased for the player. SO did most of this a long long time ago. It's why I posted that the handicap file needs a good going over. I just have not made it there yet but for some spot fixes. So the only real Difficulty(s) which has the player and AI on "near" equal footing is Noble and Prince.

Good discovery. That may also account for some of SO's crime meltdowns for the AI. That is something that can and should be addressed. If you would, put 'chipotle' in the cheat code and figure out what AI type those Highwaymen are assigned? Do you know how to do this? The cheat code line is in the config file and when it's set to Chipotle, it will give you the ability to hold down shift or ctrl (can't remember offhand) on the plot and you should see what AI's the units on that plot are operating under.

I figured out the chipotle trick.

Some of India's cities have several Highwaymen and Partisans stationed in them. Both Highwaymen and Partisans increase crime in their location.

The cities with the largest groups of Highwaymen and Partisans in them show nothing if I hold CTRL and hover the mouse arrow over them. However if I hover over a city with a smaller number of these units, it says "see invisible" after the unit name, followed by "group" (big number) [1 units, followed by "MISSIONAI_SHOW_INVISIBLE_MAINTAIN followed by location and city name, followed by ACTIVITY_HOLD.

While a single unit probably has a use in seeing invisible enemies, stacking a few dozen is overkill. One city has 10 partisans and 44 highwaymen, but unfortunately, hovering the mouse with CTRL over that one shows nothing.

The city I could see that had several partisans in it, did have "lurking criminals". Not sure what is cause and what is effect, maybe the AI tries to see those hidden criminals, but fails? And send in more units to try? Or are the hidden criminals simply the effect of high crime? Other cities have no lurking criminals but also no partisans/highwaymen. Due to limited access and vision, I can't investigate well.

Good job!

You see some of the difficulties in getting a full diagnosis sometimes.

A number of things are incorrect about what's happening here.
1) The AI should only want one See Invisible for each type of invisibility and should be selecting the best unit it can for that type. It sounds like there's a lot more of them than necessary, but it may be that only one was there and the problem was it started leading another group and then came in to fulfill the need for a city. There's much to explore in the code to see how the logic could be flawed.

2) I need to keep it from using units with negative effects from being selected for this role, at least when called for in a city but I'm not sure things are advanced enough to differentiate atm so I'll have to evaluate closely for how to divide this out. I really hope it doesn't take a whole new AI for that...

The AI won't respond to lurking criminals by wanting more See Invisible AIs - that's just something they call for when they get to a point of development where they are on top of other priorities (which is why one of the top AI's is struggling with this.)

The criminals would be a result of the high crime.

Setting those offending crime causing units to have the NotUnitAI tag employed for SeeInvisible AI types might work but I'll have to review the code to ensure that it would.

Problems with this AI are actually to be expected, being a new one, and you've done some great work to identify that as the source of the issue. Now I'll have to spend some real time evaluating that AI type and how it can be mishandled by AI players.

Top Bottom