Diplomacy

The last game I played, the GM (who was parsing the moves manually), told us the format to use, which was what I used in my example... If orders weren't presented in his preferred format, they were ignored. That was a really simple way to eliminate ambiguity. It also led to some unexpected holds :D

I think something like that could work well for us, as well. Pick a format, and we all use it. But it's really up to Cubsfan, I'll be happy to submit orders in any format he wants.

It also led to some unexpected holds :D
This is exactly what I don't like. Being good at this game should be a strategic and diplomatic issue, not a syntactic. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be caught dead using the wrong syntax if there was one, so I'm not arguing my own case, but I hate it when a unit is unexpectedly held. It messes up everyone's plans.

I plan and play my moves in jDip - the moves are recorded on the right column and can be copied and pasted into the mail.
If cubsfan posts a save after every turn, we all should have the correct initial situation for our moves.

That should work, right?

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be caught dead using the wrong syntax if there was one, so I'm not arguing my own case, but I hate it when a unit is unexpectedly held.

That's precisely my point (which I think you were making for me :)). It's quite a simple matter to follow the instructions of the Moderator. If you can't follow the instructions for the syntax, then chances are you aren't very careful in other arenas ;)

The only player who had problems was young, possibly in high school (or younger), and he also frequently failed to submit orders on time. It was indeed very frustrating. It's really not too much to ask to email orders, using a certain syntax, by a deadline. He was eliminated pretty quickly.

I'll conform to whichever system is required of me. Truthfully, I'm just glad to be playing this again - it's been over a year, and I had a blast last time :clap:

A quick reminder to all the European players: Orders are due by 5pm, US Central Time, which is just over 2 hours from the time of this post.

Next order due. Friday at 6 P.M U.S central time. After the initial turn all orderwill be due in two days.

A quick reminder to all the European players: Orders are due by 5pm, US Central Time, which is just over 2 hours from the time of this post.

Hey, hey. No need to hustle. :D

Man, I'm excited :bounce:

Finally one more thing to wait for in this forum apart from posts from Wotan in the turntracker... :lol:

I still need order's from Paul.

I will give a two hours longer for turn 1.

This is exactly what I don't like. Being good at this game should be a strategic and diplomatic issue, not a syntactic. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be caught dead using the wrong syntax if there was one, so I'm not arguing my own case, but I hate it when a unit is unexpectedly held. It messes up everyone's plans.

Back in the day (before computer adjudicators) intentionally mis-writing orders was an accepted tactic. :D

Guess I'll look into jDip so I can write my orders there.

I will give a two hours longer for turn 1.
:hmm: Isn't it already two hours left (by your post that is, 1.20 from mine)? CST is GMT-6 right?

yeah but I'm afraid some of the euro's are asleep.

Just sent my moves on last minute. :)

With half an hour to go, my computer became incredibly slow. Did anybody else experience excessive resource allocation when using JDip? :confused:

I had to restart and was running out of time... :shifty:
I hope, it was in time. Sorry for causing trouble. Next time I won't use the timeframe to the last minute...

Did we make a calculation mistake? It should be 6pm US central time now, right? :hmm:

Yup. I was just about to enter without you to.

General Notices:

No retreating units; retreat phase skipped.Order resolution
completed on 24-Aug-2007 at 18:04:15 CDT

Order Results:

Austria:

Austria: A bud -> serAustria: F tri -> albAustria: A vie
-> bud

England:

England: F edi -> nthEngland: A lvp -> yorEngland: F
lon -> eng

Bounced with bre (1 against 1).

France:

France: F bre -> eng

Bounced with lon (1 against 1).

France: A mar -> spaFrance: A par -> pic

Germany:

Germany: A ber -> kieGermany: F kie -> holGermany: A mun
-> ruh

Italy:

Italy: F nap -> ionItaly: A rom -> ven

Bounced with ven (1 against 1).

Italy: A ven -> rom

Bounced with rom (1 against 1).

Russia:

Russia: A mos -> sevRussia: F sev -> rumRussia: F stp/sc
-> botRussia: A war -> ukr

Turkey:

Turkey: F ank -> blaTurkey: A con -> bulTurkey: A smy ->
arm
Also I prefer everything spelled out.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/101788/Diplo.rar
Next orders due sunday at 6 I won't be here but I still can see when you send emails.

Yeah ya did. I was thinking about post messaging you but that would be rather unfair.

Sorry to ask a possibly annoying question, but I'm having trouble understanding the posted moves.

For example: "France: F bre -> eng"

what does this mean?

Likewise: "Germany: A ber -> kieGermany: F kie -> holGermany: A mun
-> ruh"

I'm sorry to be a bother, but I don't understand that parsing language. Could someone point me towards an explanation?

Uhm, that's indeed very weird and hard to understand.

France: F bre -> eng
I guess you could remove the '>' part. So then it would be:
France: F bre - eng
Or:
France: Fleet Brest - English Channel

But it's very usual to abbreviate it to the second I posted. Nobody wants to write a lot of orders out in full like that, it's very tedious :crazyeye:

I don't understand the program included '>' though.

> is html-speak for "greater than". cubsfan, isn't it possible for you to go through and edit those posted orders, changing all > to > and adding the proper linebreaks?

Germany: A ber -> kieGermany: F kie -> holGermany: A mun
-> ruh

means

Germany: A ber -> kie
Germany: F kie -> hol
Germany: A mun -> ruh

Top Bottom