Diplomacy

Looking at the new map helps in figure out what happened.

Interesting set of moves. Quite ironic that the guy who has played this game the longest (me) mis-wrote orders. :blush: And that was not the only unexpected thing that happened.

An interesting start indeed. I see one perfect opening, one strong defense, one futile offense, one attempted deceit, and two weak openings. And that's not counting mine own. ;)

Was mine weak or attempted deceit? Or both? :lol: :hmm:

Only time will tell if the offense was futile. I didn't notice a strong defence. Need to go back and look at the map.

EDIT: I think only time will tell if that defence is indeed strong. ;)

Yeah ya did. I was thinking about post messaging you but that would be rather unfair.

That would have been unfair. But it does raise a good question in my mind. The last games I played were on the judges and they always sent back confirmation of orders. This allowed the players to see if any orders were not written properly. So my question is, when would it be appropriate for our GM to contact a player about orders that have been submitted?

Also, how hard and fast are we going to be with our deadlines? Even the judges allowed for a grace period. They also would put a game on hold if no orders were received. I think if someone goes AWOL we should give a little time for them to return before automatically holding all their units. Also, are we allowed to ask for extensions? We probably should have addressed all this before starting but, better late than never.

I won't say more than I already did. ;)

On a different note I'll be away on a bachelor party all day/evening, so any diplomacy from me will have to wait until tomorrow, or possibly late tonight.

Cubsfan, I, and I think anyone else too, would really appreciate it if every time you receive an order, you reply back to that person and simply say something like 'Ok confirmed'. It's very usual for diplomacy GMs to do that, and it reduces the chance of not receiving a move.

If anyone go's away we'll stop the action and I'll just trust you guys not to do any diplomacy.

lurker comment: I think Niklas is only away for less than a day, so there seems no need to stop.

Although I'm a complete novice to this game, it's really fun to watch this! Will the players keep notes so we can compare afterwards?

heck, how do I get to the city screens? :dubious:
I'd like to do some heavy micro managing. :rolleyes: :lol:

@zyxy: I keep track of my diplomatic conversations, I can publish them afterwards.

An interesting start indeed. I see one perfect opening, one strong defense, one futile offense, one attempted deceit, and two weak openings. And that's not counting mine own. ;)

Would you mind pming me who's got what.

Although I'm a complete novice to this game, it's really fun to watch this! Will the players keep notes so we can compare afterwards?

I burn all my dispatches! One of the traditions of Dip is the end game statement where we all post our take on the game. Another tradition is press releases. In this type of game they would be the posts we make here. Some nice role playing could develope.

VENICE: Generalissimo Guido Asperanzzo was court-marshalled today. He was found guilty of dereliction of duty after Venetian forces under his command that had supposed to be on maneuvers in the Piedmont instead attacked Rome. The former Generalissimo maintained his innocence insisting he was given poor maps by the war department. Asperanzzo has been transferred to the navy and is now a cook some where in the Ionian Sea.

ROME: Anonymous sources say the Italian foreign Minister is currently on a secret mission in an undisclosed European capitol. When asked about the subject of the secret mission our source explained, "How should I know, it's a secret!"

ROME: King donsig I expressed concern today over the recent actions of some of Europe's Great Powers. "France in Iberia; Germany in the Low Countries; and Austria, Russia and Turkey in the Balkans are all playing a dangerous game. Spain, Holland, Serbia, Rumania and Bulgaria are all sovereign countries whose borders should be respected. Failure to do so will only lead to trouble in Europe," bellowed the King in a speech before Italian wine makers. The two hour / three bottle speech was concluded with the King praising England as the only Great Power (besides Italy) that has shown restraint in the brewing crisis. When asked about the foreign minister's secret mission the King replied, "I can't tell you about that, it's a secret!"

(Some games have lots of press releases, others only have those who are posted by some fanatical diplomacy vets while the others remain completely silent :mischief: Of course, I prefer the former type of game!)

ROME/BERLIN - Today, the Italian king donsig I has made a critisising speech about German, French, and all eastern Great Nation's troop movement. A part of the comment: "Germany in the Low Countries (...) are all playing a dangerous game. Spain, Holland, Serbia, Rumania and Bulgaria are all sovereign countries whose borders should be respected. Failure to do so will only lead to trouble in Europe." As a reaction to this obviously ridiculous comment, the great, noble and glorious Kaisar sirdanilot I of the Second Reich :)salute:) has righteously expressed that "no harm was done to the Dutch people, and they were rightfully reunited in our glorious Second Empire." Sources indicate that this was already included in their regional anthem: 'Ben ick van Duytschen bloet', which litteraly means, 'I am from Deutsch (German) blood'. Regarding plans about a possible invasion of other sovereign bordering states, Imperial resources assure the nations of Europe that these rumours are completely false...

Spoiler Disclaimer :
(I'm Dutch myself and of course I don't really believe Dutch people are germans, but I guess I got a little bit carried away in writing that press release... don't take it literarily, I don't mean anything out of it. :p)

ROME: King donsig I expressed concern today over the recent actions of some of Europe's Great Powers. "France in Iberia; Germany in the Low Countries; and Austria, Russia and Turkey in the Balkans are all playing a dangerous game. Spain, Holland, Serbia, Rumania and Bulgaria are all sovereign countries whose borders should be respected. Failure to do so will only lead to trouble in Europe," bellowed the King in a speech before Italian wine makers. The two hour / three bottle speech was concluded with the King praising England as the only Great Power (besides Italy) that has shown restraint in the brewing crisis. When asked about the foreign minister's secret mission the King replied, "I can't tell you about that, it's a secret!"

TRIESTE - After the apparent debacle in neighboring Italian province of Venice, where Venetia's finest was marched south to block its own forces, people on the street are worried that it is all a ruse to explain the presence of a strong army near the border. People are calling for military protection, but Flottenkommendant Hermann von Spaun has several times hinted that the Kaiserliche und Königlishe Kriegsmarine out of Trieste had other obligations. However, rumors abound that other military forces are headed for Trieste to help defend the homeland. Some say the Honvedsveg out of Budapest are sent for the defense, others claim the Landswehr currently on operation in Serbia will be called home. Some even say both, but luckily few give any credit to such talk. The Kaiserliche und Königliche Kriegsheer is thankfully under more competent command than that of its western neighbor, and few truly believe the Feldmarchall would order his two armies into conflict with each other.

Sorry - I was away at a bachelor party as well. We did SuperKarts. Unexpectedly, I had the fastest lap time of the day, and highest top speed. But I wasn't consistent enough to take the win - better stamina next time ;)

When are the next orders due? I understand they are to be written out in full - Thanks for the clarification, Cub :salute:

EDIT: If orders are due 2 hours ago, I request an extention, as I have been away from my computer for the past 2 days :eek:

Oops, I did mine the old fashioned way with abbreviations. But I tried them in jDip and they worked fine. So I figured cubsfan could just copy and paste. Is that ok cubsfan?

I need france's orders. I need turkey.

Turkey's orders submitted. Sorry for the delay. In the last update, I didn't see that the orders were due 5 hours ago. My bad :)

Sorry, I had it in my head that the next order was due 3 days later, will send order soon.

General Notices:

No retreating units; retreat phase skipped.Order resolution
completed on 27-Aug-2007 at 12:38:54 CDT

Order Results:

Austria:

Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 2.

Austria: F alb -> greAustria: A bud -> ser

Failed because Austria: A ser -> bul failed.

Austria: A ser -> bul

Bounced with bla (1 against 1).

England:

Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 1.

England: F lon -> engEngland: F nth Convoys A yor -> nwyEngland:
A yor -> nwy

Convoy path taken: yor→nth→nwy.

France:

France: F bre -> maoFrance: A pic HoldsFrance: A spa -> por

Germany:

Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 3.

Germany: F hol Supports A ruh -> belGermany: A kie -> denGermany:
A ruh -> bel

Italy:

Italy: F ion -> tunItaly: A rom -> venItaly: A ven -> pie

Russia:

Supply centers were gained. Units that may be built: 2.

Russia: F bot -> sweRussia: F rum Supports A ser

Support failed. Move orders must be supported explicitly.

Russia: A sev HoldsRussia: A ukr Supports A sev

Turkey:

Turkey: A arm -> sev

Bounced with sev (1 against 2).

Turkey: F bla -> bul/ec

Bounced with ser (1 against 1).

Turkey: A bul -> rum

Bounced with rum (1 against 1).
Pic to come later.

Sry you guys I got to run. Will post rest later. Next orders due Wednesday at 6P.M

:mad: Paul...

Top Bottom