Disappointed x1 000 000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont really mind DLC or Expansions but they should be for bonus content or something new that you didnt expect, not content that you expected to be in the base game only to be removed and served at a later date with another paywall.

They could even have lumped one single northern european country in with the french or americans instead of no mention what so ever ;(
Remember, there are only 8 factions, not 24 or whatever like in CiV. That limited them a lot. They decided to go with two for Europe--and Germany wasn't chosen this time. Perhaps because they were OVERrepresented in BNW?

I dont really mind DLC or Expansions but they should be for bonus content or something new that you didnt expect, not content that you expected to be in the base game only to be removed and served at a later date with another paywall.

They could even have lumped one single northern european country in with the french or americans instead of no mention what so ever ;(

Did you happen to watch the video about how they selected factions for Civ V Brave New World? It might give you some sense of how such decisions are made within Friaxis.

Link to video.

Moderator Action: Fixed the link.

Remember, there are only 8 factions, not 24 or whatever like in CiV. That limited them a lot. They decided to go with two for Europe--and Germany wasn't chosen this time. Perhaps because they were OVERrepresented in BNW?

This. If this was a historical setting yea, I'd wanna know what the hell but it isn't. I'm quite happy it isn't boring old Eurocentric factions, and hope it stays that way.

This, AGAIN!

If your country has been depicted in any civilization game they I and everyone in Canada would like to offer you a song from this tiny violin

May I suggest you make use of the free bonus content known as "head canon"? In your case, I provide you with the piece of head canon that parts of northern Europe, notably Sweden, are part of Franco-Iberia. Also, the ARC has an office in Oslo, so some people from that office became ARC colonists.

I am sooo sick of this "northern Europe" griping. I'm Scottish, German and Austrian but the world doesn't revolve around any of these people. I think the world, as a whole, is well represented.

Besides, personally, it weirds me out because of some of the more... underground elements making this complaint. Not saying you are, OP. Just saying I've seen it elsewhere intertwined with gender "discussions" and I'm sick of it. SICK of it!

The civ conglomerates that are in, are in. Deal with it. Do I wish my Scots were in? Yes. Am I going to be angry or hurt because of it? No. I'm not even angry about stratview being disabled... just disappointed. Even then, I'll adapt like you're supposed to when hardships come your way. If all else fails, adapt and overcome.

edit: The FIRST MOD released! There you go. Have a ball.

I agree that europe was overrepresented in Civ V. That being said, there were so many civs in the game they were running out and ended up having to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

If the Great Mistake involves a lot of flooding (which it apparently does), the entire idea of a Northern Europe faction runs seriously close to unnecessary - unless you're content with only Norway, Scotland and some bits of Sweden being a sponsor.

If the Great Mistake involves a lot of flooding (which it apparently does), the entire idea of a Northern Europe faction runs seriously close to unnecessary - unless you're content with only Norway, Scotland and some bits of Sweden being a sponsor.

Yes, I'm from the Netherlands and my headcanon is that we became part of the Franco-Iberia faction after our country disappeared under the waves.

So what you`re saying is that the countries that have been the planets best shipwrights,engineer, are among the leaders in development of new tech,are highly educated,have among the most money per capita and live several hundred meters above sea level(Scandinavia) are somehow completely ruined by water levels rising 15-45 meters?
All of the Northern European nations who where affected by the sea level could easily fit in Scandinavia which has huge amounts of open space that are just woods and mountains that could easily be cut down or drilled into. to fit millions of refugees from countries that would have been flooded!
While the countless islands in and around Oceania somehow managed to both survive that sea level rise but also managed to scrape together enough money to either buy into a mega corp or make their own space program.

If you ask me this is nothing but a cheap attempt from firaxis to devide content pre release and do so with the the parts of the world that have huge gaming populations that they know they can add later on, and have a pretty decent amount of attach rate because of it(and claiming that they dont intend to come with more DLC is complete BS when they allready started with preorder dlc........)

I suggest you read more and/or think more about the setting and back story of the game because you're saying things that do not correspond with the game.

It's nothing to do with canon.

They deliberately set aside some of the most popular countries because they will sell an expansion/DLC best.

Hopefully they come together along with a bunch of maps and a new feature or two for around £15.

Hence the title.
The regions that are not in the game are somehow by accident the regions with the most computer gamers per capita in the world, that goes for both middle east and northern Europe...

I suggest you read more and/or think more about the setting and back story of the game because you're saying things that do not correspond with the game.

I suggest you learn business 101 and what companies are put in this world to do.. $ is :king:

I completely understand people being annoyed that game developers today plan their games with future DLC already in mind(though personally, as long as what they offer in the initial release is enough content to justify the price, I don't see the issue), but I think it's kind of silly when those people claim to be shocked by it at this point.

If you read up on the Great Mistake you'll see that central and northern Europe and a lot of Asia were hit hard and set back significantly. That isn't to say they were wiped off the the Earth entirely. The opening splash screen of the game indicates otherweise. But it is also possible that their seeding operations didn't get off the ground as fast.

Here's a video explaining the Great Mistake. I can't remember if they touch on Germany or not:

Link to video.

Assuming they did deliberately withhold some factions in order to sell them as DLC, I'm afraid I still don't quite understand the complaint - is extra content which isn't a core game mechanic supposed to be free?

Here's a video explaining the Great Mistake. I can't remember if they touch on Germany or not:

Link to video.

Assuming they did deliberately withhold some factions in order to sell them as DLC, I'm afraid I still don't quite understand the complaint - is extra content which isn't a core game mechanic supposed to be free?
I`ve seen it, and the only thing they say about europe in general is "EU falls apart almost instantly" full stop.

Im not complaining about there not being enough content, im complaining about the regions in our world today that have the highest capita of (pc)gamers in the world : Japan,the middle east and northern Europe are all missing without anything close to an explanation, while a multitude of other nations where ravaged by several nukes according to firaxis(while looking into the camera and saying "This is not cannon" to cover their asses) and still managed to get their part in a space program even though they`ve got no feasible way of generating money in the world as we know it.

It reeks of intentional exclusion of regions that can garner high attach rates if sold as DLC later. THAT is what im annoyed at.
They could EASILY have lumped the missing regions/countries in with existing factions(explained the mass exodus of said countries and had DLC be something surprising,instead of these regions being obvious dlc content)

I'm expecting the missing sponsors to come in DLC. And to be honest, I don't mind.

What people often don't see is that for the past 20 to 30 years computer game prices have steadily fallen in buying cost, prices staying the same (or even being lower) and not keeping up with inflation (a computer game in 1990 often was $50, for consoles often even more). $1 is $1.85 in 1990. To put it in perspective. Keeping up with inflation games should actually cost $93.

So I can understand the publishers cutting up a game and creating zero-day DLC to create more revenue, like is the case now. I guess they're afraid they'll sell less when a game is $70 or $80 and more people will resort to piracy.

And on one hand I think I'd rather just have a full game for, say, $70. Especially a game like this which gives me hundreds of hours of gameplay it's still tremendous value for money.
But on the other hand, I do like the drip-feeding that DLC gives me.

And if the DLC also come with some new quest-lines along the sponsors, I don't mind at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom