DMAW02: The Magnficent Seven

See that I am on deck. I have not yet patched but perhaps you could answer a question for me. If I patch will I still be able to play 2.00 version games on 2.08 patch. I cannot do a dual install for lack of space on my hard drive as it's crammed full. (have to clear it out but that 's long term job since I need to back up a lot of what I want to delete.)

Appreciate any input and looks like we are having fun with the neighbours and barbs. We do need that iron very soon. Good luck Cabledawg.....

Cosmichail said:
See that I am on deck. I have not yet patched but perhaps you could answer a question for me. If I patch will I still be able to play 2.00 version games on 2.08 patch. I cannot do a dual install for lack of space on my hard drive as it's crammed full. (have to clear it out but that 's long term job since I need to back up a lot of what I want to delete.)

I have been able to do a dual-install by duplicating only the Warlords directory, rather than the whole Civ4 directory. Cuts the disk space needed from 3+GB to under 600MB.

Steps:
  1. Copy Program Files/.../Warlords to Program Files/.../Warlords 1.00.00
  2. Rename My Documents/.../Warlords to My Documents/.../Warlords 1.00.00
  3. Apply patch
I've been able to run 1.00 or 2.08 by simply choosing which .exe to run. No apparent problems.

Great story, Imhotep abd Patag!

Pity abt the bad rolls ... whenever that happens, I have always hurled abuses to the poor monitor that is obviously innocent but who cares! I am the one that is hurt!

Good job settling near iron ... one reason why I started the settler later is because I want iron to be part of the consideration as well.

We have to whip, coerce or outright cheat a worker protector out to get the iron online. Else we are screwed.

Thanks Zophos really appreciate that as I was starting to do a dual install but got confused over the Warlords part. Got rid of 10 gigs by taking off my airplane simulator which I haven't used in a while and have backed up on disk.

That also saves like you say a lot of disk space. Again many thanks

Ok Zophos that worked and saved a lot of disk space. So I'm set up now for both versions 2.00 (funny the patch says 1.00 but the build says 2.00) and 2.08.

Great turns Patty! (can i use that name?)

We defenitely need a little active defense well in front of our borders to head off the barbs and keep our infra built. This game, i think, will be highly remniscent of the first rotqm game w/the INTENSE warring that will happen!

besides the active Def. we still need some swords to 'question' the Russian about what he knows of the assassination.

edit: this avatar is "Grandma Caprio" ~ it's supposed to be a picture of comedian Artie Lange's grandmother, but it's really a photoshop job, of course! :lol:

Got it. Ill prolly play in 2 hours....Im a night owl. Feel free to throw out anything I might miss. This game can easily go one way or the other right now. Losing that worker makes it seem like its leaning one way and not the other though....lol

The hard part will be getting that worker to Osaka. Once there. the iron is a tundra hill so we could fortify a couple archers there whilst the worker builds the iron mine. We will only need a road to the river for Kyoto and Osaka to connect. Osaka although slow growing will once with a mine pump out some axes/swords pretty quick which will help with our barb/neighbour problem. The obstacle right now is that archer outside Osaka from GK which we could put out an archer on the tundra hill to tempt him into attacking. Although I didn't look but usually genghis has several combat promotions so we could loose an archer on that hill.

As to those barb axes approaching I would put that archer into the city as he will likely loose against that axe having archer/CD/drill promotion. We might want to promote one of our archers with melee too. Likely loose that farm but hey it's raging barbs (VQ08 we lost all our improvements in the beginning.)

Just think of all the promotions we will get from all that fighting. Oh yeah baby. We probably going to need a couple of archers to bring that worker to Osaka so we will certainly need a few more.

EDIT: Hey cabledawg I am a nightowl too.......hoot hoot

Who Cries for Masihiro

What soldier shall stand against the invading hordes. This man....a lone archer in a forrest is told to come into the city for protection against men with sharp axes. No archer before him has ever survived such an attack. This young man looks up at his Shogun and swears he can defeat all who come into his forrest. The master cannot talk him into coming in...he turns away knowing that this young soldier will die. The archer with no name braces himself in the forrest for the attack...He is not scared...He is angry that noone knows his name.

The axe bearers attack and the archer slings multiple bows at them. His accuracy with a bow is beyond compare. The axeman takes one through his heart and is dead before he hits the ground.
Master looks down from the city at the wounded archer and is only slighly impressed. He tells another archer to get in the forrest to help out .

The noname archer is now mad that the master doesnt think he can handle the incoming hordes. "Was he not happy at my victory?" thought the archer. "Ill prove my worth to him".

An Axe bearer destroys our farm...The archer looks on from the forrest in disgust vowing to kill this one slower. The master told some slaves to start mining a hill for iron which will let us create greater units. An archer garrison is promoted to be able to defend hills and goes to protect our worker.

The axe bearer attacks the archer in the forrest. No mercy is shown to this man. 4 bows are found in his neck. The master looks down and ask the archer his name. The archer looks up and says "I am the son of Funagoshi, my name is Masihero".

The hoardes have heard of Masihero. They send a whole division of troops to take him down. Masihero is sent back into the city, The master decides that losing such a great warrior would ruin morale with the troops.

The empire finally gets the ore mined and now only a road seperates us from glory.

The enemy division is defeated at the city gates. Masihiro heals and is sent back into the forrest. What he does not see is a dark sky approaching. The rain falls and soaks his quills. Hes too young to realize his bows are ineffective right now. He loads up an arrow to slay an oncomming axe bearer. He fires missed arrows one after another until the enemy is upon him. Masihiro fights hard.....and to the death.......Masihiro is defeated.

The great city of Kyoto weap for his loss. Someday we will name a great general after him. Legends will be told of Masihiro.
Our road is complete and we start our own axemen. Our lone worker is sent to the forest in the hopes that chopping it will speed our glory. A lone warrior discovers a capitol city in the south.

We have learned the secrets of writing and have started Mysticisms

Great storyline guys. Sounds like we're getting overwhelmed here, though. Out of curiosity, why did we learn writing? That will only make it less expensive for our foes and once they have writing, they can trade tech. We need to back off the fluffy techs and learn us some warrin'. Do I need to break out my Happy Little Wonderland speech from ROTQM1?

Deity Fox said:
I have always hurled abuses to the poor monitor

Fox, is it more fun to curse in english or--wait, what do you speak? Cantonese? Mandarin? Singapore Street Slang?

Rex Tyrannus said:
Great storyline guys. Sounds like we're getting overwhelmed here, though. Out of curiosity, why did we learn writing? That will only make it less expensive for our foes and once they have writing, they can trade tech. We need to back off the fluffy techs and learn us some warrin'. Do I need to break out my Happy Little Wonderland speech from ROTQM1?
Writing is a prereq for maths and hence construction. Plenty of warring to be had there, plus we've got jumbos. :)

too true, and what other military techs would've taken precedence over writing? once we get constr., we can head back down the bottom of the tech tree to grab machinery, and back up to Civil Service ~ Samurais here we come!

however, i do agree w/Rex ~ we DO seem to be dealing w/a fairly steady stream of barbs ~ another city to the east might help us out in that regard.

The language I speak, its correct terminology in Singapore Street Slang is "Singlish". ;)

But abuses are usually in English -- the F word, or Hokkien ... which is all sort of human body part. I rarely swear in Mandarin or Cantonese. And yes, I speak all of the above.

Back to the game: AW game (esp with raging barbs on) has always been very much like a RTS singleplayer campaign, you hunker down, survive the initial period of seemingly endless onslaught, and then you fight back once we have powerful enough forces (in our case axes, swords, and cats).

I guess that's the reason for writing (it leads to maths and construction). Mysticism is the mystery here. We are way too late for any religion ... our only hope is to grab some city with religions. Thus Mysticism would not be on my list of techs-that-we-need-500-years-ago.

--

Rex Tyrannus said:
Out of curiosity, why did we learn writing? That will only make it less expensive for our foes and once they have writing, they can trade tech.
Lurker's note: Writing you want for the reasons mentioned by others above, plus Writing (unpatched) or Math (patched) is a pre-requisite for CoL->CS and thus maces. Alphabet (which enables tech trading) you can forget about for a while, unless you're going to try for Literature and the Great Library.

Great story Cabledawg. We can now avenge the death of our great warrior Masihiro. I am up and this is "I got it". I looked around and not sure how many turns we are taking. Please advise Master Pholkhero.

I swear at my monitor in Dutch and English myself. Especially in warlords where you loose more often at 70% odds then 30%. DOH.....
I agree we need to settle east to bring down the flow of barbs as if axes are showing up now it won't be long before swords appear.

@ Cosmic ~ i'm not sure...it's been hard to tell how many people have been playing . . . wanna try 15?

Just what I was thinking 15 sounds good to me.

There are only 2 turns or so into Myst....feel free to change it. Osaka needs a border pop though. We need some science badly guys. Its gonna take quite awhile to get to Construction at our rate. I would say the priority here is too build some axes and swords and go right after Stalin.

Gen. Matashumo arrives in Kyoto and discusses strategy with his predecessor. Great battles have ye accomplished my friend and what of the family of Masihiro. They are bestowed with great honour and recognition for their sacrifice of such a great warrior. He will be remembered in our scribes and used in our battle cry against our enemies.

To his disappointment there was no battle for Gen. Matashumo only administrative duties. No attacks prevailed other than a few lonely warriors who made good fodder for our archers. The Russians and Mongolians remained quiet during his reign and wondered what they were up to. He also wondered at first as why we were investigating the ancient rites of Mysticism but soon realized our enemy has taken much land from Osaka and this place needed a monument erected to stave off the intruding land grab. He did realize that we could erect a library to do but that would take many years to build and monument would be much less.

Some years later our hard working engineer had removed the forests and applied it’s production to complete us our first warrior that yielded an axe and much stronger to fight against our foes. The production also provided us with an additional archer and to his satisfaction Gen. Matashumo saw that we were now well equipped military wise. Since he was going to use the axe for defenses at Kyoto he decided to start another axe which could be used to annoy the Russians as our warrior spying on the capitol could see that they have not yet found metals or hooked them up. He felt that further investigation of their lands might be necessary to see if they did have metals and to ensure that they don’t get hooked up.

He ordered the engineer to start a road to connect Kyoto which only needed to be built to the river he hoped. Did we have enough culture for that to connect he wondered and decided to risk it and once the road was built moved the axe/archer/worker to Kyoto to connect a road to the river there.

The Axe/archer/worker arrive at the site of the ivory and start the road which upon completion adds iron to Kyoto’s resources. We now can build great warriors in the city of Kyoto now too which is currently building a barracks to provide us with more experienced soldiers. Our finances begin to wane so he decides to get a citizen to work the ivory (pre camp) to benefit from the coin. The engineer now has started to build a camp to get us the ivory for happy/coin/production.

We discover the practice of Mysticism and begin on Mathematics although this will take very long to research we might need libraries and some more cities to help with that. Rather than settle Gen. Matashumo feels we should send a small team of axes/swords to the barb city and take it to give our soldiers something to practice on and get us another city in a location we are seeking to fill. In addition we also placed an archer on a plains hill fortified to keep our view of things better for oncoming attacks although they have quieted considerably.

Osaka finishes another axe and he embarks on Russia with a message:
“Revenge is a dish best served cold”. Gen. Matashumo has hid in the forest to listen to Russians soldiers talking of their brutal attack on the Shogun. Ahh thinks the General it is those vile Russians that killed defenseless women and children. He will inform the Shogun and we shall begin our buildup and eventual attack on these dogs.

Gen. Matashumo takes his leave and sees that we are on the right track. Soon we will be able to take on the Russians. (vile dogs) He sets out for his “dark temple” where he will summon the dark forces to wreak havoc on our enemies and give our armies unusual powers.

He rests on his knee before the “Dark god” and says “what is thy bidding my master”. You have done well Matashumo and I will bestow upon thee the power to see into another persons mind and instill fear in them. You will be able to cast images that they will fear and run from battle. I only ask for your soul “dark apprentice”. It is a small price my master says Gen. Matashumo. I am thy loyal servant first and then to my Shogun who is not aware of my dark connection. They serve no gods yet but perhaps my master I can bring thee to their alter someday. The Dark god shouts loudly “Do no such thing my apprentice for there can only be two a master and an apprentice”. I am in no need of any further servants. Yes my master. The Dark god says “now leave apprentice for I need time to look into the future and aid in your quest.”

Ancient Scrolls

EDIT: Osaka is currently building a monument in Masihiro's name as we need culture there badly. Agree we also need science and should consider a library soon for Kyoto. Moscow will be attackable but Novogorod will be a nightmare without cats. We started a worker in Kyoto. We need another to start a mine on that grass hill and some farms. Perhaps when we build the mine we could use the forest for getting the library built. Fortunately we have lots of commerce in Kyoto. (Lake)

Top Bottom