DMI IX - The Vampire Lord and the Tower of Mastery (FfH2)

OK, actually got it this time. Thanks Oz and Uberfish.

How many turns are we playing?

I played 24 turns. Killed many barbs, finished the obelisk in Acaia and built several bloodpets. Problem was my game kept freezing up. I must’ve reset my comp at least a dozen times. I even went so far as to delete the mod, reinstall and repatch. Alas, it didn’t help. I guess I’ll try a fresh install of CIV 4 and BTS also. Hopefully I can sort things out before my next turnset, as I’d really like to continue with this SG.

On to the show.

Things were a bit hairy in the beginning with a swarm of 3 skeletons and a warrior converging on Acaia. They pillaged the farm and cottage, but our bloodthirsty warriors fought well and held the city.

Scouted near the wheat, but encountered a Hill Giant. Luckily, our scout still had a move left and was able to escape certain doom.

Constructed breeding pit in Nubia down to 1 turn, then switched the city to a smokehouse. The city is already at its happy cap and we wouldn’t be able to stagnate properly if we add the +2 :food: from the building.

I remember a little late to switch civics to city states and apprenticeship. No harm done as we don’t gain much from the change yet. We were only paying 5 :gold: for maintenance and our bloodpets have seen enough action from barbs to negate the +2 exp.

That's all that happened of note. The settler is sitting unmoved in Prespur for us to decide on a spot. However, the barbs are still showing up regularily, so we need to make sure to send a decent force along with our settler.

I also woke up the few barb patrol units stationed near our borders so that Imhotep can decide for himself where to place them. I've been passing around Orthus' Axe in order to give the green units a leg up on the competition until they garner a couple promos. Not sure if that was the right call, or if I should've tried to uber level one unit.

Bronze working will complete in 7 turns, IIRC.

Here are a couple shots of the known world.

North:

South:

Roster:
Imhotep >> UP NOW for some building and bloodletting
Ozbenno >> ON DECK fantasizing about supple necks and rosy flesh
reverend_oats -- Prefers whole grain blood
Ralph Jackson -- Equal oppurtunity bloodsucker
Monkeyfinger -- Sometimes plays with his food
Madtown >> JUST PLAYED and is still savoring his last meal

Attachments

• DMI IX AD-0140.CivBeyondSwordSave
    132 KB · Views: 76
Nice work.

As for the settler, the south appears empty and there's no rush until Sanitation to settle there. Looks like Cassiel has already expanded to our borders in the east, so either settle there (can't comment on where), or 1W of the rice to the north of the capital.

With Orthus' Axe, it may be an idea to get an uper-pet and take out the Hill Giant.

I think we need to get elementalism and blaze as fast as possible. It's the only way to make use of the land.

I got it and will see what I can do. As I'm up in the Amurites SG too I may not be able to report before Saturday night, central european time.

Imhotep

Sorry guys, I meant to play this yesterday, but somehow the MP lobby opened quite unexpectedly and showed that sunrise and Atlas were online :rolleyes: :blush: . We had a fun game, but I do feel guilty about it...

Anyway, on with the show...

The Vampire Lord sat on his dark throne and mused about news his scouts had brought. Cassiel was stirring in the East, and he was contesting the Lord's power with ever bolder movements on his borders. And yet there were the free lands in the West, open for many breeding pits and many slaves to feed the future Kingdom of the Vampires which will darken the days of Erebus. The Vampire Lord brooded a while in thought and then got up from the High Seat. He was towering know above his miserable servants, larger than life, and a hideous yell was coming from his throat. "Settle the West !"

A stranger than was brought before him, the guards of the gate had taken him as he was wandering heedlessly in the woods. He said he was a great historian and would have met every other living thing on Erebus. Seeing the Vampire Lord's small realm he was laughing and dared to mock him, saying:

Rumour reports he tasted good along with a strong red wine.

Meanwhile Cassiel was not idle. Yet he did not dare to contest the Vampire Realm in open war but restrained himself to guile and diplomatic tactic. This should be a warning that the Grigori are not as harmless as they feign to be...

Erebus is great, and it holds a lot of nations, or tribes that will become realms once upon a time. The Vampires met another one of these lately, the Shades or Sidar they called themselves. They were led by Sandolphon. The Vampire Lord's note to himself: Find out what beverage tastes best to fried Shades.

These were busy years, with the Vampires only taking a small part yet in the great courses of the world. Rumours reported of a great Hero being born in far away lands...

As the Lord recognized that Cassiel's threat was growing on the Eastern marches he ordained that the lands behind should be completely blocked for any intrusion, and another bulwark should be built to prevent any Grigori expansion to the West.

And then the Sun rose again, not yet veiled by the mists of a darkening world, and the Vampires retreated to their deep dungeons. For now...

OOC stuff:

I went Mysticism after BW, unfortunately there is no copper to be seen anywhere on the map. Our new city in the West grabs Reagents, Marble and Wheat, and our new city south two bananas while blocking the Grigori completely. Tensions will spark there soon I guess. After Mysticism I chose Knowledge of the Ether, those blazing Adepts would be nice rather sooner than later.

The Roster:
Imhotep >> JUST PLAYED and savoured some chops of Thucydides for dinner
Ozbenno >> UP fantasizing about supple necks and rosy flesh
reverend_oats >> ON DECK and prefers whole grain blood
Ralph Jackson -- Equal oppurtunity bloodsucker
Madtown -- still savoring his last meal

Imhotep, the Sidar are shades, not dark elves. Hmm, if vampires in FFH actually eat the souls of people, and the Sidar give up their souls, are they edible?

Imhotep, the Sidar are shades, not dark elves. Hmm, if vampires in FFH actually eat the souls of people, and the Sidar give up their souls, are they edible?

You're right of course. Well, I guess the Vampires feast on anything :D !

I notice that the Great Sage is still available from Writing but we stay the course for Knowledge of the Ether.

The capital produces a pagan temple. I assume the idea is to employ a priest, so do so. A training yard is set up as we get an extra happy face.

Our brave vampires face off against the barbarian city down south, smelling fresh blood.

It is added to the glorious Vampire Republic.

Knowledge of the Ether is gained. The GS from Writing is gone, so Calendar is selected to get reagents online.

The godless want to open borders. I see no reason to oblige.

Oh great
The madman is here
Howl to the moon
You see

There is another barb city down south.

Anyone know what the Pool of Tears does?

I withdraw my fangs at the onset of Calendar (reagents already being plantationed).

Festivals and Horseback Riding are tempting but I stuck it on Elementalism to get blazing. No beakers invested.

Attachments

• DMI IX AD-0176.CivBeyondSwordSave
    163.5 KB · Views: 65
IIRC the Pool of Tears gives health in nearby cities and removes the withered and poisened promotion from units...

The Roster:

Imhotep -- still savouring some chops of Thucydides for dinner
Ozbenno >> JUST PLAYED and feasted on barb blood
reverend_oats >> UP NOW and prefers whole grain blood
Ralph Jackson >> ON DECK as equal oppurtunity bloodsucker
Madtown -- still savoring his last meal

The Vampire Lord was bored. He tried eating some virgings, but that didn't satisfy him. He sent out some meat to explore, and awas pleased to learn that Acheron, the Red Dragon, was just to the south. But he was wroth with wrath when reports came back with news that the enitire party, including the valuable Orhtus' Axe, was destoryed. The ancient ruler ignored reports of "fireballs from the sky" and had the messenger executed.
Some of the meat did not take the message, and continued work on this "magical fire." They eventually came up with the theories of "Elementalism," which the mages claimed could help clear the great southern jungle. They were eaten anyway, but their knowledge proved useful.
In the city of Prespur, a prophet known as "Cadaver or Junil" was preaching. Some agents were insturcted to "put him to sleep."
Shortly before 300, the Vampire Lord intstegated a series of celebrations, in order to keep the masses docile. Markets were erected across the land, resulting in a great increase in income, and a repostitory of magical learnign, called by the Vampire Lord Catacomb Librarus but Unseen University by hoi poloi was commisoned. Even better, a war party had managed to destroy a lair of skeletons.
Several adepts were trained in the knowledge of fire magic, and began to burn the great southron jungle, utilizing the new technology horses to move faster.
The Vampire Lord was much happier without all that humid jungle, so he decided to take a long rest in his coffin while he thought things over,

Attachments

• DMI IX AD-0204.CivBeyondSwordSave
    193.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 192
  • Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 190
I'm really sorry about the axe. I forgot about Acheron's ability to summon meteors and it cost us big. I do not know if the axe was desroyed or merely captured by the barbs.
I reaserch Elementalism, Festivals, and HBR in that order. If we wanted, I think we could found RoK, as it's less than 10 turns of research. OO was founded by the Sidar. The process of burning the jungle is going along nicely.

The axe doesn't get destroyed.

The barbarians in Acheron's cities are always in "cowardly puss" mode and will not set one foot outside of their master's protection, so there is actually a chance that the axe is sitting unguarded where it was dropped. A horseman should be sent to see if that's still the case. If it's not, some wandering barb or AI civ unit was walking around, stumbled upon it, and went "heeeeyyyyyy...." in which case the axe is god knows where now.

Make sure the horseman has enough moves to get out after looking for the axe, of course.

As for religion, I still say we go for Conucil of Esus. Trade, Philosophy, Way of the Wicked, deception is the path. I hate RoK for non-creative civs because RoK provides no culture.

Top Bottom