DNES2: War and Civilization

I have a question about UU's

How many can we make? For example if say I want a UU cheap and UU expensive unit is that possibe? Does that mean I lose the prospects of more UUs further down the tech tree?

To: Taejon, Panga

We agree to the NAP as well.

About the UU's - well theres no real limit now, and yes you could have one cheap and one expensive unit. It wont affect other stuff in future ages. BUT ill say the more UU's you have at once, the less powerful each one will be (but only slightly). I'll remove UU's when i think they are too obsolete, or you can choose to remove them at any time.

Reminder: See end of previous page for orders deadline info

On an open-air stage outside of Panga, a tall figure stood making an address to the residents of the city. The figure wore a dark trenchcoat, sunglasses, and a grey bowler hat. Some may have considered this suspicious, but at the time these things were all immensely popular in Panga. Except for the bowler, which clashed horribly with the otherwise dark ensemble. The sunglasses were an interesting thing in and of themselves, due to the fact that Pangari glassworkers were still just mastering the art. The result was a bunch of people putting black paper inside frames and pretending to be fashionable, and a bunch more wearing glasses that distorted vision to the point where the people were rendered functionally blind.

Now, where was I? Ah, the story.

"And our plan," said the tottering figure, "Is to research a beeline for education."

The crowd nodded in agreement. One man raised his hand.

"Mmm hmm, this sounds good, and I agree, but I have a question. Why do we have to develop monotheism before getting education?."

"Hmm," said the figure in front of the flip chart, "You're right, that is somewhat odd."

"And theology too. I mean, what does that have to do with education?"

"Er, I'm really not sure-"

"I mean, doesn't groundbreaking education require some disobedience with most major monotheistic religions. And theology, that's a bit of an anti-education thing as well-"

The figure on the stage regained his composure, which had been shaken by the strength of the man's arguments, and was about to reply when he collapsed on the stage in a most awkward way. A worrying mix of a broken back, a pretzel, and a jackknife.

"I'm okay!" he said, rising again. "Now, in answer to your question, our particular religion emphasizes the importance of getting into space. So our monotheistic theology apparently requires us to be fervent in our efforts to do so."

"What about the monotheistic bit? Aren't there three penguins?"

"Heresy! Do not question your religiously authoritative ruler!"

"We're a republic."

"Damn. I forgot."

"So, your reason?"

"Uh, well, holy trinity maybe? Yes, of course, that must be it."

Generally supportive sounds emenated from the audience. The figure took a bow and walked away from the stage.

Behind the stage, the top of the figure punched itself in the gut.

"What was that about Navv? I believe you let me fall on purpose there."

"Did not! You shifted your weight."

"Whatever, we- Wait! Someone's coming."

The figure who had questioned earlier came around from the side of the stage, with a grin on his face.

"Nice slip up you've made here, penguins."

"Penguins? Huh?!?" said Navv, quickly buttoning up the trenchcoat to conceal himself again."

"Oh please. Get some technology." The figure tapped his belt and disappeared like a television signal in a lightning storm, to be replaced with a polar bear.

"Ooh, that's nice. I'll have to get me one of those."

"It took me years to find you here. Captain Risk, you shot down my ship here shortly before you, being the idiot you are, managed to get caught in this god forsaken place's gravity well."

"Nothing personal. Sorry 'bout that."

"Sorry? You should thank your lucky stars that you landed in an easily impressionable village. I landed in the middle of a ******** jungle! It took me thousands of these years to find you!"

"Um, why didn't you join das? He's here. And how did you last that long?"

"Time doesn't pass in Civ3. You notice that your scouts don't ever die of old age?"

"I assumed they hired barbarians once they were retired."

"Suuuure. Anyway, I'm getting distracted. The bear drew a great saber from his pocket."

"You have a pocket?" asked Navv, shortly before being nearly cleaved in two.

"A saber? Oh come on, you're a polar bear!"

"It's the early medieval age, you idiot."

Risk drew out a long and elegant rapier, Navv took a thick-bladed dagger. Both leapt at the bear. The third penguin struggled to get out of the piled coat, sunglasses and bowler wrapped over and around him.

The two penguins leapt around the larger bear. Risk dodged one massive blow from the polar bear and leapt straight upwards at his enemy's chin, rapier facing up. The bear dodged backwards, and slashed at Risk. Spinning around, he caught an Navv approaching on an aerial trajectory and deflected his minute enemy off into the wooden braces beneath the stage with a large crash.

Then he looked up, to see Risk descending on him. His eyes widened, and he attempted to raise his great weapon.

Too late.

Risk's rapier hit true, literally braining his adversary.

"Damn." coughed the bear, collapsing.

Risk landed, brushing some blood from a cut in his leg. Navv crawled out from underneath the stage. Inside the trenchcoat, the third penguin struggled to lift a massive claidheamhmor.

Risk gazed down on the polar bear.

"Poor guy. I wonder what compels these bears do such stupid, violent things as this."

"Beats me why." responded Navv, "What I wonder is why you shot down his ship earlier."

"Why my good friend, because it was there."

Daftpanzer said:
About the UU's - well theres no real limit now, and yes you could have one cheap and one expensive unit. It wont affect other stuff in future ages. BUT ill say the more UU's you have at once, the less powerful each one will be (but only slightly). I'll remove UU's when i think they are too obsolete, or you can choose to remove them at any time.

Reminder: See end of previous page for orders deadline info

Alright if you will here are my UU's:

Haloga Imperial Guard: Powerful ax-wielding warriors who serve as the personal bodyguards of the Emperor. Highly devoted and loyal.

Namdaleni Cavalry: Heavy cavalry, similer to otl cataphracts.

Vaspurakan Infantry: Moderatly armored swordsman whose experiance in their homelands rocky/hilly/mountainous terrain prove excellent for those conditions.

Also one more question. I take it our normal units are just going to be like the civ3 units. So spearmen are good defenders while swordmen are attack and horsemen are mobility etc. Do we need to specifically build archer and skirmisher units to be part of our military, or is it assumed that these 'auxiliry' units are part of the larger units(sowrdsmen,spearmen etc)

EDIT: nvm just read the military section explaining nation stats. But still, are the ways the units should be employed similer to that in civ3, or are spearmen good offensive units etc?

Dawn rose over the grassy plain. Upon the uplifting of the night did the amassed encampment appear. The suns shining resonance and blood red cloak upon the land a sign of things to come. Within the camp, hammers fell, steel sharpened, horses gathered, and men prepared. It bustled with excitement, desperation, determination, but most ominous of all was hunger. It hanged in the air, escaped through every breath, gleamed in their eyes. Dawn had arrived.

In the center, one tent’s flap was open. Caught within the galling winds, it flung in the air, ripples sprayed upon it. The thudding of a horse approached the entrance, and came to a complete stop. Hoisting himself off it, a young man ran into the tent, pulling away the obstructive cloth before him. He kneeled down before the shadowed part of the canvas. Though hidden beneath the darkness, the light from the opening revealed the man the teen kneeled before. Even with only half his face revealed, the boy kept his eyes on the ground, slightly shaken. Half a face was more than enough to intimidate a puny messenger.

“Sire, the warlords are ready to begin the march. The Horde awaits your command,” he stated a little nervously.

“Really?” the shadowed figure drawled, his sharp slits and pure black eyes revealed nothing. Then his long black hair slowly swayed however, as he rose. A faint smile formed along his mouth, traced by a thin but long beard to his neck. The messenger gulped, his smile was never a good sign. Then again that always depended on what he had in mine.

“Then I suppose we’d better get started, rise warrior, you have served me well.” The signal from his hand, the command it invoked, though the young man could not see it, made he hastily get up, though he still avoided looking at his superiors face. “There is another message for you sire,” he stammered helplessly. “Word has reached us that the Aahnad Emperor Bazilevs Aleksandyr has suddenly recovered. It appears he has begun rallying his followers to face us”

“Really?” the dark man repeated. Though he couldn’t be sure, the messenger thought he heard satisfaction… no pure glee in his leaders voice. He was a bit confused until his lord continued. “Well, at least he’ll make it interesting. And now that he’s out of bed, I can know the satisfaction of killing him myself.” The smile he had before disappeared quickly as the man ordered sharply “Ready my horse!!”

“At…at…at once sire, I’ll get right on it!” The man’s need quickly turned around to carry out his orders and get the hell out of there, unfortunately entangled his legs together and caused him to fall. It was rather quite embarrassing as he crawled out of the tent, with his lord scowling behind him.

It was not long before the man stood before the amassed troops he led. They cheered as he passed him, taking his rightful place at the head. Among them he stared out, surveying his ranks until he was satisfied, and atop his horse he began.

“Warriors of Ulakam hear me!!” he boomed. They all stopped cheering and quietly listened to what he had to say. “They think they can stop us!! They say they will prevail where others have not! The believe that their great Emperor will keep them safe!! But as we march they will come to realize that nothing can escape the slaughter that is to come!!” At that his warriors cheered once again, they receded to allow him to continue. “We will gut, crush, and destroy all those who oppose us! We shall smash and burn until there is nothing left of our enemies but dust and ash. They say they will turn the tide, but what they do not realize is that nothing can stop us!! We are not some tide that will come and go, we are a wave that shall consume this entire land!!” Another roar “We shall flood this land of all he had betrayed us, all who dare challenge us, covering it until there is nothing left.” Sadistically he added “And we shall do it in blood.” The soldiers all shouted in glee. “Well tear our enemies apart, and soak this ground in their blood, the rivers will run red, the rain fall crimson, and the grass choking from the sea of carnage that is to come!!”

He lifted up his head in no small of amount of pride. “Soldiers of the Horde, let the nightmare begin!! It is time… to unleash hell upon Aahnad!! Forward!!!!!” He swung his horse, and charged out toward the wide-open spaces, his men eagerly following him. As they rode, the chants began “Hail Khan! Hail Khan! Hail Khan!!!” They kicked up a storm behind them, and were about to bring another before them. The vast army of the Horde was moving, the war had only just begun.​

O.C: I'm a bit tired Daft, so I'll send orders in tomorrow, most likely I'll make it before the deadline so don't worry. Glory for the Horde! :salute:

My army probably shoud look like the Sassanid one from Barbarian Invasion, not in the least because they're my favourite faction there. ;) Plus I have both eliphants and camels, and the new UU is quite similar to a hopefully-obvious Persian unit.

*adds Pangari to the "to kill" list again*

My leader is a psychotic maniac with ambitions for world conquest and a penchant for spearing people; I am not entirely sure if he cares terribly if his casus belli against anyone makes sense. ;)

My leader in this game, Bazilevs Aleksandyr I.

I'll make sure to cut off his head before my Horde is done with you das. ;)

Cut off his head? Bah, it would be only a flesh wound; its not like he'll notice or something. Bazilevs Aleksandyr I lives in death! :p

Plus he has lots of heirs. ;)

I just noticed daft, that ironman is on vacation. Has there been any message from Yaktan to Taejon at all? :(

Orders will be sent well... after I get a message from them?

To Yaktan
From Taejon

We have accepted the request of Zanung for protection over their city. We politely request that you withdraw your troops and cease any active attempts to restore it to your control.

EDITED: This WAS NOT A DOUBLE POST!

Awesome stories! Thanks, though I must say i like krimzonstriker's slightly more, as it is more actually to do with the game ;) Though you know i love the penguin stories :)

I got this message from Ironman:
you can npc it i was more interested in the old version

:(

IC:
To Taejon
From Yaktan

Zanung is our territory by right. The rebel criminals there have no authority to speak for the land they occupy.

If Taejon desires this land, then you should approach us with something to offer in exchange. Otherwise, moving your soldiers into that land will be an assault upon our borders... which we could interpret as nothing less than an act of war.

Insane_Panda said:
Daft, could you possibly wait a little longer for my orders? (like, a day or so?)

Ok sure, +24 hours it is. But orders dont have to be any bigger than in the old thread...

Warman17 said:
But still, are the ways the units should be employed similer to that in civ3, or are spearmen good offensive units etc?

Yes i should clear this up (i will edit the first page). Actually i am thinking more in real world terms, where spearmen are good all-round troops, while swordsmen are more anti-infantry, less good vs cavalry etc. So yes, they are useful on the offensive too.

Das said:
My army probably shoud look like the Sassanid one from Barbarian Invasion

I like the Sassanids, except for the bright blue uniforms :) I might edit their colour scheme... Im still in a RTW modding mood, ive learnt how to edit the 3D meshes themselves now. I get the message that no-one really cares, but heres more screenshots anyway :D

Top Bottom