Do we need the year-counter?

I agree completely about removal of time victory. There's nothing I hate worse than playing a good game and look up to see "X Turns Left!". That just kills any fun I'm having as I'm never in a hurry when I play Civ, that is for RTS games.

The date counter means nothing really, just ignore it. There's no way to explain a city taking 500 years to build a granary no matter how hard you try. :) To be accurate the starting date needs to be around 15,000 BC anyway, not sure why they've always stayed at 4000 BC.

If you start around 15000 BC it definately will take 500 years to build a granary. :)

The time system isn't perfect, but I still say it's better than nothing.

I agree completely about removal of time victory. There's nothing I hate worse than playing a good game and look up to see "X Turns Left!". That just kills any fun I'm having as I'm never in a hurry when I play Civ, that is for RTS games.

The date counter means nothing really, just ignore it. There's no way to explain a city taking 500 years to build a granary no matter how hard you try. :) To be accurate the starting date needs to be around 15,000 BC anyway, not sure why they've always stayed at 4000 BC.

Because the world is about 6,000 years old.

Correct. Once calander hits the year shows up and you find out how far behind you are... I like knowing the year so I can enhance my ego when I'm running over my opponents with tanks by 1600AD.

Removing the year counter is not a good idea.
We all want to know "when we are"...

Starting the game in 4000 BC makes sence as many of us still believe that Civilization as we know it, started somewhere around that date.
Anyway, much more evidence is accoumalationg these days, that "Civilization" might have been started much much earlier than anyone might have thought.
Take the Sumerian King list for example. "Writings" on these stone tables speak about a reign of kings starting from 275000 BC !!!
According to these tablets, the last one "died" aprox. 1750 BC.
Is it therefore strange, that some of us, especially in the old days, spoke in a much different way of (living with) the gods, than we do these days ?
Could it be, that all of the many things we cannot explain today (the massive stone stuctures like the great pyramid and temple like structures build of stone blocks weighing more than 2000 tons in the Andes), are related to some lost civilization ?
To me, it's a fact, to others it's a myth.
A myth, like the story of the city of Troje, which was a myth, but has been found in the end !!

Maybe they should consider skipping the year 2012.....

I don´t agree on this. Where´s the feeling on developing a civilization through the ages, the years, without a year counter. It brings realism and a better storytelling. I think if it was removed, it would be included in one of the first mods. Perhaps first timers to civ, would´t mind, but those of us who are used to it in general, will lose a bit portion of entertainment.

Could it be, that all of the many things we cannot explain today (the massive stone stuctures like the great pyramid and temple like structures build of stone blocks weighing more than 2000 tons in the Andes), are related to some lost civilization ?
To me, it's a fact, to others it's a myth.

But those structures have been proven to have been built by civilizations that we are aware of. There is some evidence of very ancient civilizations in India i.e. the Hindu Sanskript Texts (which also describe aliens and nuclear bombs), some under-water excavations in India, and things like that but it's likely crap.

Civizilation almost certainly began in the Fertile Crescent (Northern Middle East), and slowly spread to lands on the same axis (Egypt, Europe, India, China). The majority of crops and wild-stock used in the world, to this day, originated from the Fertile Crescent area (horses, cattle, sheep, pig, wheat, fruits, berries, nuts) and were transported (as well as knowledge of mining and farming) when a mini-Ice Age (which we are still living through) trapped large quantities of water from the atmosphere into the poles, first forcing them to learn how to farm, and then forcing them to move east and west.

But those structures have been proven to have been built by civilizations that we are aware of.....

---

Now that's the big issue. Proven ? By whom and by what method.
Many "so called" evidence turned out to be circumstantial evidence.
I have a theory and so this is the way I explain "my evidence".....

This issue is far to big to write down on this forum, but I will be printing the highlights of many of the unexplained structures on earth on my website this summer....
So, when one is interested......

If there are different game speeds, a year counter would still be useful in comparing the progression of time between said speeds.

For example, in Civ4, on Normal speed everything happens three times as fast as on Marathon speed, but the date progresses three times as fast aswell. This means that 1AD on both speeds usually has a similar level of development in the empire (actually there are some irregularities such as the unchanged speed of workers that makes Marathon games progress faster in this regard, but the idea works).

A year counter just doesn't make sense for . is not a game where time really matters, so much as technological advances. I'm sure we can all remember having Tanks in 1700AD, and thinking, "WTF!".

-----------
is the new civ5 icon. [civ5] fails at being a distinguishable icon.

IMO they should change the BC / AD thing to the scientific modern versions of BCE (before common era) and CE (common era) that does not have the religious conotations.

Sorry not to derail the thread.

I agree.

Also,
--- I like having a date counter.
--- It adds realism to the passing of time.
--- Let's face it,
--- --- this game's unnatural passing of time needs a little realism feel. :crazyeye:

Well, IMO anyhoo.

Are you guys that bored that you have to make threads on the dumbest things imaginable? If you are you're welcome to come over and clean my bathroom.

Moderator Action: Trolling - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom