Do You Give to the Homeless?

Do you give to the homless?

• I give to charities regularly and to the man on the street regularly.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I give to charities occaisonally and to the man on the street regularly.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I give to charities occaisonally and to the man on the street occaisonally.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • I give to charities regularly and to the man on the street occaisonally.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I always give to charities, never to the man on the street.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I never give to charities, always to the man on the street.

• There are no homless in my area (rural, utopia, etc)

• Total voters
I'll give to the Salvation Army, simply because my grandparents were quite active in the church. I don't give to the man on the street. I've been that man on the street, and I pulled myself out of it. Twice. (long story) It's not hard if you're dedicated enough, and have a little help. And the little help can be found most anywhere.

Originally posted by rmsharpe
Consider it a preemptive argument.

:goodjob: how to turn a loss into a win.

Most of the panhandlers in my town are street hustlers looking to make an easy buck. I have no problem with that but I'm not going to give them my money. A few years ago I worked downtown where they all hang out. I would be spare-changed 7 or 8 times in the three blocks between where I parked and worked; this was at a time when the local unemployment rate was 1% and businesses were desperate for workers. I may be sympathetic but I am not naive.

When I smoked I would give them a cigarette instead.

I live in a small town so no homeless. Last Christmas, I give two dollards to a man in Montréal. Typical. It was the only time I've give to homeless.

If I am at work and I see someone going through our dumpster looking for food I usually give them something to eat but tell them not to expect me to make a habit of it. This has only happened a few times.

No, I don't give to homeless on the street....
I do howevergive to charities such as the Red Cross and several medical research projects funded by gifts. I also donate blood about 6 times a year...

One certainly does not give money to the feckless flotsam and deviant detritus of the street; one's views on welfare and begging are of the Vlad Tepes school of thought.

The Dutch social security system provides more than enough for the homeless. There is no need to give them extra. In fact, if someone is homeless here, he or she more or less chooses to be so.

There is an exception of course. Some people have a psychological problem. They can't help screwing up all the time, as they have something seriously wrong in their heads. But giving these people money on the street won't help much I guess.

I do transfer money each month to the NOVIB. They do projects in Africa.

As Jimmy Durante said: "Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down."

I live by that.
Thus, I give to the poor, and needy.

I exploit them if at all possible.

Seriously, I once saw a girl begging for money standing right outside two stores with big ol' "NOW HIRING" signs. That kind of killed it for me.

I used to give to the Red Cross, but mostly because I felt sorry for the collectors standing out in sub-zero cold ringing that stupid bell. I'll probably be suckered into it again this winter.

My country has a responsible government that cares about its citizens, so nobody has to be homeless here. There are virtually no homeless people in my neighborhood to give money to.

I have only met someone who begged for money once in my hometown. Then I was so surprised that I gave him more than he asked for. I don't think he was homeless. He said he needed money for a bus ticket, but he did not ask for the right amount. I guess he spent them on drugs instead:).

Well Pikachu, maybe you live in the 'wrong' neighbourhood?

About the one you met, you are probably right. Most homeless I see in my neighbourhood are junkies too. I live right between The Hague's two big train stations. Somehow trainstations seem to popular by junkies.

no homeless guys... There might be a few in the "Big" Cities (Oslo, Trondheim, Bergen) but I havent met one...

In other countries, i keep away from places with beggars... And ignore the ones at the markets..

I have seen very few, and none of the "cardboard box" variety. A lot of hitchhikers, but that's probably because Des Moines is a pretty big hub these days.

I firmly believe people are homeless because they choose to be.

I'm embarrassed to say that I never give to charities for the homeless and do occasionally give to the man in the street.

In all hypocrassy, it should be done the other way around.

Giving on the street only keep them there.

Still, if I see someone who is so destitute that they have no hope of ever gettin goff the street, I gladly give them money, sometimes even a bill.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
I firmly believe people are homeless because they choose to be.

For some that is actually true, but they are the minority, by a long shot.

I don't pretend to know their motivations, so I have to go by what I would think. I wouldn't be homeless unless I wanted to be.

I'd rather be a hermit living in the mountains though.

Originally posted by thestonesfan
I don't pretend to know their motivations, so I have to go by what I would think. I wouldn't be homeless unless I wanted to be.

I'd rather be a hermit living in the mountains though.

I'm not homeless because I choose not to be as well, but many just don't have a choice. Mental illness for example, has led many people to the street simply because adequate care for them is not available.

That hermit thing sounds kind of cool though.:D

Originally posted by cgannon64
How big is Aurora? Is there a major homeless population there?

I don't know and I doubt it. I mean, there's some homeless anywhere, but I don't think it's really a big thing here. :confused:

I was once asked for some cash because theu guy was 'really hungry'... So I offered to buy the beer off of him that he had in a brown paper bag. He gave me a dirty look and stalked off. :lol:

Top Bottom