Do you have a coherent ideology?

Do you have a coherent ideology?

• Total voters
Isn't the idea that morality is objective fairly mainstream and well established in academic philosophy? That was my impression. I wouldn't say there was a "consensus" on realism vs anti-realism of the kind that, say, global warming enjoys in science, but my impression is that it's not particularly controversial and you wouldn't be thought of as a weird fringe philosopher if you believed that morality was in some way objective.

I'm not trying to put longer words around anything. I entirely reject the way you are formulating this - I neither claim the right nor possess the power to 'authorise' anyone to do anything to you. I just find your statement bizarre.
Probably because you can't, and didn't understand.

El_M, if I'm not mistaken, means that by participating in a system you are condoning it's actions.

We've discovered components of objective morality. We're imperfect beings, so expecting us to discover objective anything is a stretch. Plus, people are complicated. We don't know the perfectly true objective laws of gravity, we just have good appoximations.

I don't see any reason to assume objective morality doesn't exist. People objections seem to focus on the fact that there's a subjective component. Ehn, red herring.

Please explain by using physical causation the concepts/words objective, subjective and morality?! What I am getting at is this, something might be physical caused and subjective and thus excluded that it can be physical caused and objective; i.e. can there at the same time and in the same sense be a subjective and objective component?

Isn't the idea that morality is objective fairly mainstream and well established in academic philosophy? That was my impression. I wouldn't say there was a "consensus" on realism vs anti-realism of the kind that, say, global warming enjoys in science, but my impression is that it's not particularly controversial and you wouldn't be thought of as a weird fringe philosopher if you believed that morality was in some way objective.

Just because some people believe in an objective god, doesn't mean that there is an objective god, but that doesn't stop them from believing.
Now substitute god with morality :)

Remember I am a skeptic ;)

Those two are basically the same thing, and they depend utterly upon my willingness to chip into a communal defensive force. It doesn't change the foundation of what I am saying, that the authority to tax me and fund my defense comes from the majority.

People who endeavour to insist that authority is legitimate are merely implicitly supporting the authority. I'm not saying they're wrong, except if they deny that they're helping provide the authority.

Yes, in short, but it is not that simple.
Take a libertarian/anarcho-capitalistic system and make the following assumption - the majority of people do not own enough means in order for them to life without working and they don't own their own housing, i.e. rented or mortgage.
So they:
1. Cancel/terminate all contracts.
2. Go on a peaceful sit-down/hunger strike.
3. Give the rest of the relevant people a choice; they can accept the deal offered, throw the strikers in jail for trespassing, kill the strikers or watch the strikers die.

So what do they want?
-A trading union/company for the relevant area of the strike, where all of the members agree only to trade with other members.
-That you can be excluded from union/company and/or are punished for contract violation with tort and/or prison if you violate the contract.
-That you can leave the area if you want, but that it doesn't mean that you can freely enter another area.
-That bartering without money is not allowed unless specifically allowed under the contract.
-That when you receive money for a trade made under the contract a part of the money you receive are not yours; they are the fee(a form of sales tax) I pay to the union/company, which you are a member/co-owner. You then transfer the fee to the union/company. (This can vary as per property tax, income tax, sales tax and so on).
-That you get one vote(representation) as a member/co-owner as a part of how the members/co-owners decide to used the money.

Now it is legal/right/good or what not? It depends as it is subjective.

No I do not have a coherent ideology. That is mostly because I decide my stance on issues as they come rather than picking an ideology and letting that do the thinking for me.

Of course. Stick a fork in your arm. It's objectively true that you feel subjective pain.

Please explain the words/concepts objective and subjective. :)

Add on:
There are humans/people/persons, who don't feel that kind of pain, so it's objectively false that they feel subjective pain or it's objectively true that they feel no subjective pain.

Would you consider yourself subjectively firm or objectively flexible?

I remember an anaesthetist telling me that I didn't really feel any pain, I just thought I did.

I couldn't fathom the difference, myself. Not that it seemed to matter much at the time.

People who endeavour to insist that authority is legitimate are merely implicitly supporting the authority. I'm not saying they're wrong, except if they deny that they're helping provide the authority.
I can accept the authority over me. I have no say in its authority over you, but I can see where you are conming from. Ultimately I think civilised societies should enable those who wish to 'opt out' to a certain extent - the anarchy parks in Niven's Known Space being one example.

Is this really helpful?
Do you really not know what he means?

I honestly don't know. For me, there is no objectivity at all. Everything is subjective.

Unless someone can provide me with a firm delineation of what objective means, I think I'll have to stay as I am.

Is this really helpful?
Do you really not know what he means?

No, I don't know what objective morality means. So when someone claims some form of knowledge of objective morality, I ask them what objective and subjective mean to them.

at least, i'm just glad aztec virgin sacrifices never caught on in mainstream morality.

Probably still a better fate than getting dateraped to death at a frat party!

Top Bottom