Do you overlap city tiles?

I generally try to avoid overlap, I don't like sharing a major resource (ie. pig tile). I don't really care about overlapping regular tiles. I'll sometimes build cities almost beside each other so I can capture all available coastal resources (fish, crab, clam). Sometimes having 2 cities working the same cottage can be efficient.

I'm a big believer that 1 good and 1 crappy city is better than 2 average cities. If there is overlap, I always pick the better city to get the extra working tiles rather than share them 50/50.
The problem is the 'good city' will not always be able to work all its tiles. Wasting a good tile by not working it even for a few turns is not optimal.

I tend to try to avoid overlap- but im pretty much dictated by the terrain (settling in range of resources etc)

I also try to avoid overlap (mega cities are what I go for, and mega cities demand lots of food), but if there is an area with good resources, then I'll overlap a bit.

Overlapping is a must, particularly early. Trying to spread out early cities so tiles don't overlap will just lead to paying distance to the palace maintenance on cities that are hundreds of turns from being able to work all the tiles. Also, the low early happy cap means sharing food resources is very powerful.

If there's wet corn within City A's territory and A has reached it's happy cap, founding city B to share the corn means it can rapidly grow without a Monument. And if that give you enough to conquer a capital, who cares if those cities are going to be less than perfect come the Renaissance?

Top Bottom