Do you think the Irish language has improved in recent years?

QarQing

Chieftain
So I know, there were times when Irish language declined. However, do you think, there has been an improvement in the Irish language and do you think it has gotten better? List the positives and Negatives

:old: Younger boomers, Xers and Millennials have made up too many useless words we never needed. By golly, we had all the words we needed in 1973!

Welcome to CFC Off Topic. :)

In terms of difficulty, Irish is harder than Spanish but definitely easier than German
German>Irish>Spanish

So I know, there were times when Irish language declined. However, do you think, there has been an improvement in the Irish language and do you think it has gotten better? List the positives and Negatives

Alas, I don't know enough about the Irish language to offer a useful opinion on it. It's cool to listen to, though.

To what extent has improved?
I am asking this because I know the case of the Basque.
Definetively there is more people than 30 years ago who is able to speak Basque, however there is less people who uses it daily or uses it as first languaje.
Is this a improvement?

Definetively there is more people than 30 years ago who is able to speak Basque, however there is less people who uses it daily or uses it as first languaje.
Is this a improvement?
Similar situation in Wales.
Every student in Wales now learns Welsh.
A large proportion of children leave school considered bilingual.
The number of people who speak Welsh as a 1st language continues to decline.

Is this a improvement?
Basque languag
Bruh! Wales is widely spoken as both first and 2nd language. Leave Welsh alone. Basque is at worse state

Children are leaving school being able to speak basque fluently. They can continue their studies in high school and university in basque as well.
However, it is becoming the language which is required to work for administration and the language spoken to young kids, there is a very small basque-speaking culture in labour market.
Then you go to administration and first words in the attention are in Spanish.
Then the kids grow up and parents somehow they forgot how to speak Basque.

The Basque Nationalist Party has been in the Basque Government since Franco died, having the competencies in education.
We are definetively doing something wrong

Last edited:
Children are leaving school being able to speak basque fluently. They can continue their studies in high school and university in basque as well.
However, it is becoming the language which is required to work for administration and the language spoken to young kids, there is a very small basque-speaking culture in labour market.
Then you go to administration and first words in the attention are in Spanish.
Then the kids grow up and parents somehow they forgot how to speak Basque.

The Basque Nationalist Party has been in the Basque Government since Franco died, having the competencies in education.
We are definetively doing something wrong
Situation of Basque in France: Severely endangered
Situation of Basque in Spain: Vulnerable
Overall Situation as Basque: Definitely endangered

Languages don't improve or deteriorate over time, they just change.

That's a different question to the prevalence and distribution of a language obviously.

That's a different question to the prevalence and distribution of a language obviously.
Oh really?

English has been steadily backsliding toward pictograms, rather than real words, for years now.

I've been having an interesting conversation with a fanfiction author about the use of Old English, Latin, Greek, and Welsh in the Merlin TV series. I pointed out that some languages we consider dead now were not considered dead 1500 years ago.

English has been steadily backsliding toward pictograms, rather than real words, for years now.

I've been having an interesting conversation with a fanfiction author about the use of Old English, Latin, Greek, and Welsh in the Merlin TV series. I pointed out that some languages we consider dead now were not considered dead 1500 years ago.

I think that was a prediction for the near-future.
Much of the population becoming iconerate rather than literate, taught enough to recognise the symbols on a till or microwave, but not enough to read any of those books that give people idea above their station.

Do you think, we should just abolish the Irish language instead of preserving it and just using English everywhere? I'm seen enough. It's badly taught and the language is still in decline due to the suppression of England. So yep, I think it should be abolished. What do you think of that idea? Try to change my mind if you can

Top Bottom