1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the patch improved the game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by WorldWarIV, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Do you think the patch improved the game?

1. Yes.

23.7%
  2. No.

11.5%
  3. It improved it a bit but not enough.

23.7%
  4. I would say yes if it wasn't for all the new bugs.

43.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Quarz

Quarz Chieftain

Hm, they did small stelps into the right direction, but IMO these are to small steps for 5 months waiting time. Plus: I wonder when the worst bugs will get fixed:

My game is still hanging when I want to quit - I need to use task manager to stop Civ6 from running. According to bug report forums I'm not the only one. I'd call this a mayor bug, but it's still alive.
    I still get the -18 reputation hit in diplomacy, if AI is abdicate their former cities in Diplomacy Menu. Why Firaxis don't fix that? Sadly that's not the only broken Diplomacy option.
    Liberate Citystates still is broken too.
    We still can be in (sort of undeclared) war with our allies and friends. Thats a strange bug, but still alive.
    And so on.

To me the sum of those sort bugs make Civ6 nearly unplayable. On top of this, the AI still is sooo poor. Its a pity, because I love the ideas of Civ6.

2. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Yep, Civ VI is a bit of a mess right now, and if anything I feel we've gone further back than before. Diplomacy is all over the place and I might have forgiven this if the AI had been improved significantly. It has been improved but only slightly, as things like their airforces are still piss poor.

AntoineS and Tiger Genocide like this.
  3. Skulbow

Skulbow The Lonely Cyclist

I am really disappointed in the state of this game at present.... this patch has introduced bugs and the Ai is still way below par. I have deliberately stayed away from the game for the last two months and waited expectantly for this patch/DLC and on paper it looks good BUT so much seems broken and the development team is not transparent or communicative with the player base at all. I can't understand why a team doesn't try to talk to their player base and attempt to filter through the messages being sent and do something about it!!!

AntoineS, conorbebe, Zuizgond and 2 others like this.
  4. DrJambo

DrJambo Crash-test dummy

Someone in another thread was saying that his disabled mods were still interfering. Do you think this could be impacting a lot of us? I may remove all of mine and see if this makes any difference..

5. wiggawuu

wiggawuu Warlord

Its time for Firaxis to start outsourcing its code work for the AI. Haha. I mean seriously, these guys are a bunch of bone heads.

6. DioAurion

DioAurion Warlord

It's not the mods. The game is just flat out busted right now. If playable means it doesn't CTD, then sure. But I'm not in the mood to play when I can counter a culture victory by buying 5 great works for a few gold. When I can counter a science victory by steamrolling a couple naval cities and then taking the rest of their empire in the peace deal.

When the AI can't fight back tactically or on the negotiation table, the fear that made the Civ series great is lost.

I've uninstalled last night. Going to spend 2 years getting a master's degree and see if Firaxis can fix the game in that time table. If not, I'm probably jumping ship to the Endless franchise.

7. MrRadar

MrRadar King

This could be somewhat true, possibly it is best to remove pre-patch mods completely. On the Steam discussion forum a moderator recommended this: Delete the content in the Mod folder, delete Mods.sqlite file one level up, unsubscribe from you mods in the Workshop and verify the game files.

After I did that, I had Sean Bean reading each and every quote... for a while, then he fell silent again. But he did read quite a few; with only my single mod disabled he usually fell silent just after the first quote, after loading a save.

8. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I confess I enjoy a more diplomatic style of play - for me the patch gets an A+ simply because I can liberate cities without having to actually march all the way to that city.

Plus:
    - ai now liberates city-states
    - less obnoxious dows
    - seems I can get some decent trades finally

Just hot fix the nuke agenda bug.

9. Tiger Genocide

Tiger Genocide Warlord

I never quit playing Civ6 prior to the patch. I used lots of mods including the restart button and CQUI,, to make up for things missing, but after these new bugs, it's beginning to be a bit too much and I might need to take a break from the game. I work in IT and I understand the development lifecycle fairly well and while I am willing to overlook lots of things the devs do, they really hit a low point in terms of quality control and testing before releasing this patch. They actually managed to break the game, making it a bit unplayable for folks that were willing to play past the previous flaws. Since we know they do not hotfix, 5-6 months is a long time to wait for fixes. These guys really need help or their managers need to take a good look at how they managed to make these mistakes and find a way to improve their processes.

Very disappointing indeed. In other news, that Civ 5 Vox Populi mod is legit and a ton of fun, big thanks to Marbozir for playing that and introducing something exciting that is still a Civ game.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. mckinney156

mckinney156 Chieftain

Seemingly in the minority here but yes I absolutely love the patch. I hadn't played Civ in a couple of months and wasn't even aware we were getting an update. Logged in randomly a couple days ago and was treated to Nubia (which seems a little OP right now admittedly). First thing I noticed was the damn RESTART button! I could tell right away the AI seemed to be playing a bit smarter. There were no random settlers or unguarded builders floating about for example. I lost my first game to Cleo around turn 100, it was my own fault though and I saw it coming. Which leads me to my second point.

For me the diplo is improved. Other than Cleo, all of the AI were either friendly to me or neutral from the start of the game until the Cleo DOW, Cleo herself hated me from the beginning (we were neighbors, my army was weak you know how that goes). So when she dow'd, the neighbor to her east Germany, I was to her west, also backstabbed me, which again made since as they were friends and I was weak. Also it was Germany and he's a tool anyway. Before the patch, every single AI I met during the first 100 turns hated me at the onset from start to finish unless I reallllly played into their agenda, which naturally leads you to be super aggressive with them since you're assuming you're going to be attacked at any moment by them. This game their friendliness to me actually lulled me into a false sense of security with Cleo as even though and she had denounced me a couple times and we were neighbors, I figured since everyone else liked me (even had a couple declared friends) she wouldn't attack me. We had a couple city states in between us so it's not like we were border to border she actually had to go a little distance to get me.

Next game I rerolled Nubia and was way more aggressive at the start and now the game is shaping up more like I'm used to, however I *still* have a couple of friends. It just seems to make more sense now. The people who I haven't attacked are still friendly to me or neutral unless I'm going against their agenda.

I play on Deity, for context. I wonder if a lot of the posters who are saying the game is too easy should maybe increase their setting? Seem to read that comment a lot from King and Emperor players.

Edit: As to people saying Firaxis broke the game with bugs etc...I have never played with any mods since Civ 6 has released. I've played 2 games now since the patch released up to around turn 100 and have not had any CTDs, lag, bugs, or anything irregular happen in my games during that time. Patches always break mods that isn't anything new.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  11. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

I never used or installed any mods and I have the same bugs as everyone. I think I'll send an e-mail soon to Firaxis stating my displeasure at a bug-inducing patch, long wait for patches and no communication. I've paid full price for the Deluxe edition and I was expecting a bit more as a loyal customer.

Roald Amundsen likes this.
  12. gfeier

gfeier King

I wonder if we are being fair to the devs. Sure, each specific problem could be fixed by a hard-wired patch, but you would wind up with a bunch of them. That would wind up limiting their future options and I suspect they do not want to do this this early in the game cycle and try to correct them within the existing AI framework. After the second expansion, when all the civs are in place they will be able to tidy things up. We could still use a hotfix for some things, but not all.

13. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf King

Same here. Civ 6 often hangs when i press quit on the main menu. Have to restart my pc to get out of my task manager.

14. KyivanRusCivPlease

KyivanRusCivPlease Prince

What if they intentionally made it work this way - so that the prompt appeared only if you selected a single tech/civic?

15. Cymsdale

Cymsdale Prince

I select a single tech/civic at a time and I don't get the voice overs (beyond the first one after I reload a game). So that work around doesn't even work.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  16. Locke_Daemonfire

Locke_Daemonfire Chieftain

It stops you from passing the turn until you select a new tech/civic though, so it works if the goal is to have a reminder about changing policies.

17. OneMoreTurnPerTile

OneMoreTurnPerTile Chieftain

I'm still in my first game, post patch. I agree with the general sentiment that it is significantly better, minus the bugs. It is refreshing to not have every AI hate you for no reason. It was also great to have my frigates intercepted by a bunch of ironclad who put up a fight and to have my initial beachhead repulsed for once. The bugs are brutal though...

18. miaasma

miaasma Prince

until the AI/diplomacy of this game stops being an incoherent mess i don't think i'll be able to get through a full game

nubia is fun to play at least

19. WileyWilson

WileyWilson Chieftain

Indeed. Star Citizen devs are good at communicating. Frontier Developments are pretty good too. My guess is the devs are under the thumb and aren't allowed to discuss ideas/issues with customers. Subsequently, I've not bought any DLC and have abandoned Civ 6 for now until (if) the awful AI improves. I'm not salty, upset, or crying, just a little disappointed. I keep my eyes on 'fanatics and have moved on to other games.

Zuizgond and Roald Amundsen like this.
  20. Janskey

Janskey Prince

I think it's just that when a company grows large enough, a form of "corporate bureaucracy" steps in, and things start to go awry. Everything has to be approved by this board or that manager etc. It doesn't necessarily have to be that way, but it often is. In another game I play a lot, Tales of Maj'Eyal (it's free, try it :)), the last time there was a patch that broke something, a fix came in less than an hour - but it's mostly a one-man project.