1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you think the patch improved the game?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by WorldWarIV, Jul 31, 2017.

?

Do you think the patch improved the game?

1. Yes.

23.7%
  2. No.

11.5%
  3. It improved it a bit but not enough.

23.7%
  4. I would say yes if it wasn't for all the new bugs.

43.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I think the patch has improved the game. Moving Urban Defences from Civil Engineering to Steel makes building Medieval and Renassiance walls a valid strategy now; if you want the highest defenses against your enemies. Before researching Civil Engineering was a no brainer, but if you're going for a Science victory now Steel is very much out of your way, since it's on the opposite end of the tree than Rocketry.

I like that when you are getting close to winning other Civs get hostile towards you, they hate you are winning. I think this is how it should be. Plus this is a brand new concept in the game, it's nice to see patches aren't just modifying what's already exists in the game, but adding new features. I also like how Alliances are much harder to get now. Before your friendly next door neighbour could have a huge army and you'd be closing in on victory, but you would just make an easy alliance and you'd be 100% safe from his army.

I know there are bugs, but not any game breaking bugs. I mean there is the bug where the AI offers you great works of art for a low low price but that only exists if you take advantage of it. Though having no quotes when completing technologies/civics is annoying.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  2. Miravlix

Miravlix Chieftain

You really should learn to not trust the internet.

Restart is fine, people is just weird, they select random leader, shuffle and all the other random options and then get upset because restart respect their choice and re-rolls everything they set to random.

If you hard select your leader, you get the same leader on restart, if you hard select map type, you get the same map type,

bottom line: Never listens to others on the internet without verifying yourself or you're part of the problem of alternative facts.

3. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

I get what you're saying with the great works, but I don't think it's entirely possible not to abuse it. Even if I try to make a fair deal, how do I know that's what the AI would have taken? Let's say that I know the average cost of a great work is 800 gold. Should I just offer 800 gold for great works and always get it? What if I'm making more complex trades? Do I have to know the fair cost of every item in order not to exploit the AI for their great work? What about AI moods? How much do I tax myself during deals to get a great work off of an AI that only slightly dislikes me?

Sure, you can try to limit abuse, but it's unfeasible not to use this exploit in some way unless you completely forgo great works trading as part of your game.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

That makes the more credible conclusion that they knew it was like this, but released the patch (and DLC) regardless.

The implications there say a lot.

Roald Amundsen likes this.
  5. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

i assume the patch is tied to the nubia DLC's release and they didn't want to delay it for every bug fix they know they need to do.

If they fixed some of the more obvious bugs and delay the DLC/patch, the scenarios will require the patch to come out first and a later bug fix patch anyways, so why delay if you know you have to release a fix later regardless. The only way they avoid this is to just scrap the summer patch and fix everything, which clearly wasn't an option for whatever reason.

Post Spring patch I was expecting the next one to be fall. Perhaps they should have just waited and released a larger than usual fall patch.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. DizzKneeLand33

DizzKneeLand33 Fall from Heaven 2 still rocks

I'm not sure what part of alternative facts are presented here. The settings should be saved in an ini file like the previous games, those settings keep the randomness as you said. But the "restart" button means that you should get the same things as the current game with a new random seed. At least that's how it's always been, which is probably why that is the expectation.

I always play a random Civ and map (since Civ 3). So, if I click "regenerate map" or "restart" it should simply take the same civ and show me a new map. If I want everything to be rerandomized, I just start a new game where my settings *should* be saved from the last playthrough (until Civ 6 lol).

ZubieMaster likes this.
  7. stinkubus

stinkubus Chieftain

If you were content with a random civ on the first go I cannot even begin to fathom why it would matter if you got a different one if you decide to reroll??

valerislysander likes this.
  8. DizzKneeLand33

Again, that wasn't the point. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. It's just another inconsistency between Civ platforms. I was addressing the criticism of someone using "alternative facts."

ZubieMaster likes this.
  9. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

Surely the point of restarting is to begin the game again with the exact same seed, no? Re-rolling everything is just the equivalent of starting a new game. That's not what I would consider a restart.

There's a difference between the rules which the game follows to generate the map, versus how the map itself ends up being generated.

10. HF22

HF22 Chieftain

@conorbebe

To be honest, I thought the whole point of a restart button was to reroll the map (cause you don't like the starting location).

11. DizzKneeLand33

Exactly. If you want to restart the exact same map seed, just go in an reload your Turn 0 autosave -- no need for a button, right?

valerislysander and HF22 like this.
  12. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

The restart button is working exactly the way I would expect and want it to.

HF22 likes this.
  13. topresch

topresch Chieftain

I always considered the missing restart button to become a quicker way to get the same advanced settings that I painstakingly chose prior to starting the game (e.g. included civs, topographt etc), not just new seed. Is that what you so derogatively call "alternative facts", @DizzKneeLand33?

14. isau

isau Warlord

Mixed feelings. The changes to mods are driving me a little crazy at the moment. Possibly I just dont understand yet what exactly changed and how to fix it, but suddenly I'm swamped with bug reports although the game works fine on my system. I know part of it is related to a bug fix, but it's a little alarming how much trial and error I'm working through atm to figure out how the mod loads on different systems.

15. oedali

oedali Chieftain

The bugs are driving me crazy and have finally made the game unplayable for me. There's something very very broken with AI valuation of deals in general, especially joint wars and trading cities. (in addition to giving away relics and artwork for free of course) I posted it in bugs thread. I cannot play this game until they fix it because it has taken all the fun out of Deity. :( I can only hope that the Devs take notice of it at some point.. (anyone know if they actually read the Bugs forum?)

HF22 likes this.
  16. valerislysander

valerislysander Chieftain

Just finished my first game with the new patch- standard speed, small map, prince, Arabia. Was a fun game and I lost in the end to Kongo. They sneaked in a cultural victory before i could take them out as I was going for a domination victory.
    No worries about whether the AI is using Air forces now!! Kongo took my land army out with around 8 bombers and he used them on each turn after i declared war, my battleships nearly took his capital but he got the victory just before i could take it.

Fun game, AI seems improved. Some issues with diplomacy in terms of deal negotiations. Also the tech tree seemed better paced for all AIs so not having as much of a mix of military in the atomic era. Obviously just one game and each is different so it will be interesting to see what happens in my next one.

KyivanRusCivPlease likes this.
  17. Shorlin

Shorlin Chieftain

Prior to this patch diplomacy felt meaningful and satisfying. I would look at the AIs and their agendas and figure out who I would be able to befriend and maybe ally, and who that would be a lost cause. This would affect decisions in the game (like who I declare war on), and it has a nice roleplay feel to it: 'oh, this civ is an *******' 'this civ is a bro' etc. Generally, prior patch, I could ally with at least one or two civs (if not crazy warmonger) and one or two always dislike me. This felt fine to me and a nice balance. Now post patch, its like all AI are drugged up on happy pills and feels like diplomacy has lost a bit of spice.

WorldWarIV likes this.
  18. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

I would rather have the AI civs be friendly to me than have immediate dislike the moment I met them. Based on my observations, nothing has changed prior patch and after patch whenever I go to wars. The enemy AI denounce me for being a warmonger just like before.

What bothers me is the crazy mechanic on alliances since they are super rare and hard to get.

19. Roald Amundsen

Roald Amundsen Chieftain

Or waited Even longer and released a game that doesn't need patches every other month. It's really inconvenient, something the last patch really makes a good example of. I think it's really disrespectful to the players. Fans invest huge amount of their lives into this franchise.

oedali and Zuizgond like this.
  20. Falk

Falk Chieftain

The agenda system never worked. Most agendas you have to ignore because making decisions based on them would completely ruin any strategy you might want to follow. If your neighbours want you to build a great navy, but you're aiming for a science victory, you'd be spending way too many resources on ships. Let them be angry and build some ranged units instead. And sometimes AIs have somewhat contradictory agendas anyway, so you can't please them even if you wanted to.

Maybe the system works if you play Civ as an RPG instead of as a strategy game, but that's not what it's supposed to be.

I'm glad the AI is friendlier now. In my post-patch game I was friendly with half of the AI civs and less friendly or at war with the other half. That makes sense to me and it's fun.

The only thing I really dislike about the patch is that they did nothing to fix the two issues that I personally see as the biggest problems: early aggression is still (or even more so than before) always(!) the best strategy and the whole religion system is still clunky and annoying, especially with the AI so keen on getting a religion in every bloody game.