Does anyone build Giant Death Robots?

Do you build Giant Death Robots in Brave New World?

• Most of the time, yes.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • It depends on the situation. I.E (Non-Nuclear proliferation passed)

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I still build them, but not that much.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 50 53.2%

• Total voters

Sharples

Prince
I don't really build them, sure being at 150 base strength is amazing, but it takes one of your strategic resources, Uranium. Which are used to build Atomic bombs and Nuclear bombs. Second, these units are going to get hammered by Stealth Bombers. Third, you have XCom and these units are 100 strength and can paratroop basically anywhere. Fourth, these units require a completely different tech that is kind of hard to get to, and researching it only gives this unit. And finally fifith it doesn't get any defensive bonuses (meh I guess?).

So whats your take, do you build them?

Not really.. most games are over by that time.. No one would really stay and play long enough.

I do build them whenever a game lasts that long. Advantages of using a GDR over nukes is that you spend less time reterraforming the land to suit your needs while you would have to spend time cleaning up the pollution if you nuked.

And personally I think GDRs look cooler than XCOM.

And they're even better at sieging cities due to their higher base strength.

XCOM die quicker to stealth bombers due to their lower strength.

I'm not sure but I think I remember XCOM paratrooping having limited range just big?

And GDRs upgrade from Modern Armor for like 10 gold?

XCOMs have to be built.

My memory is hazy atm ><

Usually the game ends before I would get to the GDR, so I would say that I don't use them.

I do build them whenever a game lasts that long. Advantages of using a GDR over nukes is that you spend less time reterraforming the land to suit your needs while you would have to spend time cleaning up the pollution if you nuked.

And personally I think GDRs look cooler than XCOM.

And they're even better at sieging cities due to their higher base strength.

XCOM die quicker to stealth bombers due to their lower strength.

I'm not sure but I think I remember XCOM paratrooping having limited range just big?

And GDRs upgrade from Modern Armor for like 10 gold?

XCOMs have to be built.

My memory is hazy atm ><
XCOMs upgrade from Paratroopers.

The prereq techs for GDR-tech are the prereqs of XCOM-tech, plus Satellites, plus the tech needed for Nuclear Missiles. Unlike XCOM-tech, it doesn't even give a spaceship part. If I'm slowing my potential SS victory down for some Information era wars, I'm going for XCOM+Stealth Bombers. GDRs are just too much of a luxury. (and they take Uranium away from nukes/power plants)

If they unlocked at, say, Robotics, this might be a different story. However, I've generally already WON an Information era war by the time I can build one. (and even if I could build them, it's hard to like them more than XCOMs)

There's no way I'm buying a slow melee unit for the same strategic resource as nuclear weapons. And as everyone else has said, the game's always over before I would want to, anyway.

I've built them once, just to see what they were like.

I'd agree with your OP though: in the rare circumstances a game goes on that long (normally when I'm trying out a lower difficulty level for a "themed" playthrough rather than an optimised one) its just too much of a pain in the ass to walk them across the world, and I'd rather have XCom troopers.

My games are typically over before I get this far, but whenever I do, I just build one as a "f@#$ you" to the AI. I usually serve them up whenever I really want to hurt an opponent for something they did about 3000 years prior. Here's looking at you Lizzy, where's your longbowmen now???

My games are almost always over (either quit or won) before I get to GDRs, but I've built a couple before just for the heck of it.

I`m one of those guys who always play way past the `end` screen. I like to see how things develope really far down the line. You see GDRs a lot this way. I hate GDRs and Xcom, so use a mod so I never see these things in my extended games.

With GnK (at Immortal) I used to build GDR pretty often. With BNW (still at Immortal), I found Xcom units better, for all the reasons listed.

I usually use them when I have extra Atomic resources as well as if I don't have any naval or air support. But besides for them I just use X-Com squads.

Who the heck doesnt love the giant death robots?!?!

Giant death robots are coming for your soul. Build the giant death robots or prepare to be assimilated!!!

Who the heck doesnt love the giant death robots?!?!

Giant death robots are coming for your soul. Build the giant death robots or prepare to be assimilated!!!

I hate them.

Top Bottom