1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Does Race exist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by haroon, May 8, 2019.

1. haroon

haroon Chieftain

So Anatolian Turkic are European dwellers? when the emerging of nation-state concept meets globalization, flog of immigration and many of other factor, this racial understanding not only incorrect but also becomes problematic.

Do Abdul Latif Jandali Ibn Abdul Fattah aka Steve Jobs is European Dweller or Middle Eastern Sand Dwellers?

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

According to various theories the majority of the population of current Anatolia isn't really turkic but islamisized populations of the former state (Byzantine empire). So greeks, armenians, slavs and others. Iirc the Il-Khanate only numbered a few tens of thousands of actual turks, with the norm being taking over existent populations and just being the new hegemony and the locals already being many millions.
    Which makes it not much surprising that some turkish people look similar to south europeans (including slavs).

The opposite phenomenon also exists (turkic people in south euro countries) but to a very smaller degree.

Hrothbern and haroon like this.
  3. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Exactly my point Kyriakos, my question was rhetoric. Our tribal instinct fools us, we want to be proud and feel connected to something that totally unrelated to us (the past glory and all that BS, when we were not even a sperm when all of that happened), and we like to feel intrinsically superior or in some case inferior than other.

edit: While if we look after Turkish nationalism they related themselves with their supposed to be Central Asian ancestor which is totally wrong. Also how the Serbian seeing the Bosnian as a Turk (not a fellow Slav) this was used as a main fuel for the massacre, all thanks to the ill definition of race. What you need to trigger for a community to massacre their own neighbor and friends were pretty simple, you just need some nationalist anthem and some story telling about the evil Bosnian Turk.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Hrothbern and Kyriakos like this.
  4. red_elk

red_elk Warlord

We like to feel intrinsically superior to those goddamn racist bigots.

Berzerker, Hrothbern and haroon like this.
  5. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

genera.

same declensional paradigm as opus->opera, corpus->corpora, and tempus->tempora

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Ok, but (even so! ) some are more tied than others :D ^_^

I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 of turks actually are greek, though.

In the end it doesn't matter; some western european (or chinese etc) who knows more about x culture is imo more tied to it than one who just was born there. Iirc one of the "national writers" of Japan is greek/irish (Lefkadio Hearn).

7. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Low hanging fruit and I was hungry.

Literally, posted that in line buying my lunch.

8. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Actually for me that doesn't even matter, in this case we used that to negate the concept of Turkic race, we can even used that to negate other type of race, this is even truer and more obvious with how in our time space are shrinking, people travel from one nation to another, stay and move again, such concept was obsolete to begin with and with the recent globalization phenomenon this concept becomes rotten. I'm a SEA who married Turkish-Caucasus lady, even my wife don't consider herself to be in particular race, lol even I have a very confusing appearance, some said I look Chinese, some said Arab, even some Turk think I look Greek, but actually I look simply human.

Kyriakos likes this.
  9. Hygro

Hey man you leave astrology out of this.

10. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

The position of Jupiter tells me Western Europeans have a higher IQ than West Africans.

Lexicus likes this.
  11. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

After 12 pages, in the US, race only exists if you're white.

Lexicus likes this.
  12. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Maybe you mistaken it with Astronomy Hygro

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Kinda funny how that works, innit?

14. Hygro

Don't make me go retrograde on your ass!
    :eekdance::whipped:

jarred! and haroon like this.
  15. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Actually it only exists if you're not white.

Hyphenated American ftl.

haroon likes this.
  16. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

He meant the only people still trying to hold onto the idea that race exists are the 'whites.'

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

(Most) non-white people know racism is real. Aside from a few people who can be safely dismissed as marginal crackpots, it's pretty much all white people who think race is real. And of course it's pretty much only whites who feel like the humanity of non-whites is something to be debated politely over cocktails...

rah and haroon like this.
  18. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Yea but there's a difference. The majority race decides on whether they want this to be a thing or not. Minorities are forced into it whether they like it or not.

If you are of the majority race (white in America), you can simply not be racist. See, most people can just log off and out of these discussions and it's simply not an issue in their lives in most cases. Minorities don't have that choice, unless they go hide under a rock. I have the fortune of living in a very ethnically diverse place so it's much less of an issue. But it's still there; every form I take has to make me associate with literally billions of people I have no connection with; many more can't tell I was born here at first glance. Outside of that, I'm simply not an American first, I'm an X first, in X-American.

That's what privilege is actually about. We are defined by hyphens, simply because we don't exist otherwise in the context to the problem. And even within that, not all racism is the same; I certainly don't know of the experience of being instantly branded a criminal by stereotype. The fact that people think slavery and segregation is (mostly) over magically fixes everything is hilarious, like 2 centuries of trying to eradicate a people and their culture can just be waved away? The country has literally spent most of its existence trying to destroy their family structure.... and I believe they still are.

So yea, race is a thing. It's awful and people that try to downplay it like something else are bad and should feel bad. How many more genocides does it take for them to realize it? Well, never mind; they're the ones that are supporting genocide in the first place.

19. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Another tacit admission that the problem with the term isn't how useful a category or well defined it is, but merely the baggage it comes with.

Using skin colour to determine race: check. Using a specific race as a derogatory category: check.

Berzerker likes this.
  20. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

Just because 'white' people think they're better or different than whatever they label you as doesn't mean 'race' is real.

Catching someone make an appeal to emotion doesn't mean you've proven different races of human exist.