1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

does the mod team have a problem with women?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by heartofgrigori, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

There is no Typhoid Mary anymore. She is now Mary Morbus.

2. avalonnn

avalonnn Chieftain

Interested in FFH 1 tho

3. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Thats interesting but unintended. The origional word to describe them was the "Shedim" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shedim). I changed it because I liked the sound of "Sheaim" better or I couldn't read my own handwriting and trascribed a D as an A. Knowing me either option is as likely.

4. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Ah... the magic of words.
    Change a single letter, and you are right, forget another letter, and you are wrong...
    In French, the word "procureur" should be roughly equivalent to a "state attorney" in English. Now say "procurer", and if I am not wrong, it is a pimp in English, is not it?...

And what about the phonetic? (I am French language native, with poor English skills)
    Should we pronounce "Sheaim" something like "She aim" (she aims - at something), or "Che I am" (like “Che Gevarra, I am!), or "shame" (on me!) …

5. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

Well... To continue esoteric Sheaim translanguage contest: the best transliteration of this word in Ukrainian means "also I am eating" or "I am still eating". This interpretation is not so deep and misterious and frankly has no much sense, still I like it as the most positive one.

6. evanb

evanb Chieftain

I always read it like "sheh ah eem" (transliterating it so that English speaking people can read it); or for French "shé a im".

If you read it fast in Romanian it might just sound like "what's wrong with you?!" uttered by a Transylvania rural dweller (non-standard language).

7. Andreas Woolf

Andreas Woolf Chieftain

... I tend to think of it more as "shame" (english pronunciation) - more of a comment on their philosophy I suppose...? *shrug*

8. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Yes, although that is the present connotation rather than a strict dictionary definition. Technically, it means one who obtains services, so it could be respectable or legal services, but at least in US English, the connotation is that of pimp.

The Italians have a proverb, "traduttore, traditore", the translator is a traitor. A word has a literal meaning and connotation, and they don't translate well into other languages.

Example:
    Spoiler :
    Ironically, in college someone complained to me about my use of the phrase "court lady", when I was writing about the Italian aristocracy in the Renaissance. She said it was awkward, and that I should use a more compact word. My reply was that a direct translation from the Italian into English would be "courtesan" (for non-native English speakers, a courtesan is a "high class" prostitute). She withdrew her objection.
    :D It does make the civilization less fearsome.

Os-Gabella: "We must destroy all of creation!"
    Tebryn: "After dinner, we will, but I am still eating."
    Os-Gabella: "Okay. Could you pass me the pirogies?"

9. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Yeah I've always wondered how Sheaim was meant to be pronounced. I usually say it as The ''Sheem'' or The ''Shee-im'', don't know if that's right or not though.

10. Sofista

Sofista card-carrying

You're Italian, Hamster? :)

My favorite wordplay is the ones (don't know if theyhave a proper name) where a phrase in a language has a very different one in another. Translating "Ada's grandma's gall stones" in French results in a phrase that, in N Italy, is quite a comic insult.

11. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

I always pronounce it Shay-Im

12. A_Hamster

A_Hamster Small Furry Animal

Non civis Italianus sed Americanus. :) {I am not an Italian citizen but American.}

It's just that my major in college was officially Early Modern European history, but in practice was really the Italian Renaissance, so I've picked up a few phrases. At some point I do intend to learn the language both for self-improvement and improved job prospects.

I'm pretty sure there is a term for that but I can't think of it. This happened when I gave a friend a shirt with the phrase, "Yo Bobo" on it. (Bobo was his nickname). It turned out that it means "I'm stupid" in another language.

13. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

That's what I call "positive". ;)

OK. Here is more difficult task. Do you (or someone else) have an interpretation for the Russian transliteration of "Sheaim": "Neck(=cervix) to them"? Sounds like gibberish.

14. loocas

loocas Chieftain

End of the world = decapitation. The image of a chicken running around with its head cut off comes quickly to mind. The Sheaim are the neck because they're the severing point.

15. solanacea

solanacea Chieftain

This is hilarious. And makes sense maybe Sheaim are still eating people's souls....

16. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Chieftain

WTF are you talking about?

Ah, got it. Althrough "Neck to them" would be more like "Sheyaim".

17. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Chieftain

cool half-year-old bump

I vaguely recall owning the hell out this topic, xeinwolf getting all butthurt, and my amazing post getting modded

18. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Chieftain

I think we scared off the opening poster, s/he is still at only 7 posts.

19. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Probably mortally embarrassed at the mere suggestion that we hate women. My girlfriend used to say that, but I made her stop.

20. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

Hate women? We all love Faeryl right? :p
    Yeah I remember this thread. Lets not go there again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.