DoktorApplejuice's fictional civs (Discussion/development page)

I'll be honest, I just google image searched "Soul Society Symbol", and the skull and flames thing was a common recurrence in the results. It's been a while since the last time I watched Bleach; I stopped watching right after that whole final Getsuga Tenshou thing, so I can't remember if the first arc is the only place the skull is used. I definitely do like he idea of the Goei 13 symbol, though I was going to use it as the unit flag for the Shinigami. I guess I could use the silhouette of a Zanpakutou instead.

Oh yeah, Bleach changed a lot after the first arc, that symbol was not even used by Rukia afterwards.

My intention was to have Barbarians included in that equation as well, so that you could get a lot of benefit from the early game that way, and it wouldn't be too situational.

Dunno. Hard to say without playing it. Chances are 1 pop for every Barb could really mess the balance up. You will simply grow too fast early game, once you grow too fast you will starve.
Basically you can only benefit from barbarians early game and then you do not have the infrastructure to support that kind of growth.

There can definitely be more than just two uniques, especially for a one-city civ. It would help balance out that aspect, like what I'm doing with Roanapur.

Well, the civ is fictional, so I do suppose it can break away from the norm, although I am not a big fan of such things.

Hey, I'd love help with this; especially with coding, if you have knowledge in that front. Art I've got covered, unless you know how to do unit modeling?

Sadly I don't know lua, and my XML is not the best either. I can just make icons and leaderheads. But yeah, if there is anything I can do I am willing to help as I am one of the few people with enough patience to tolerate Kubo's writing and continue reading Bleach.

Just as an update; the Roanapur civ is at the point where, while still incomplete, it's playable in-game.
Spoiler :

All that's left is the coding for the UA, the diplomacy responses, and the Civpedia entries.

Thanks to the always awesome LeeS, the Lua for Roanapur's trait is complete! All that's left is for me to write out the diplomacy dialogue lines.

Alright, so, after testing the civ out in a few games, I've made some further changes to Roanapur in order to hopefully counterbalance the inability to settle new cities, as it was very quickly outpaced by other civs.

Roanapur will now begin with a special naval unit; the Black Lagoon. It has more moves and longer vision than the trireme, and can be consumed to purchase a city-state. The Black Lagoon can't be built or purchased, so only one will ever exist over the course of any given game.

since the Black Lagoon icon I made was too similar to the Lagoon Traders icon I had, the Lagoon Traders will now have the following icon:

Also, Every city owned by Roanapur, including the capital, will provide one copy of the luxury resource, Narcotics. (Yeah, I know, but I figured the game already contained the possibility of genocide, mass-starvation, and wiping entire cities from existence, so what's a little reference to substance use compared to that? Plus, it's based off of Black Lagoon. It's not like fans of the show are new to the concept).

Narcotics icon:

I'm really digging that new OP with the new Roanapur art and attributes. But I feel like a free unique luxury from every city + a different free unique luxury from a late-game UB is a bit redundant. If it were me, I'd cut one or the other, but then again, if it were me, I'd limit it to 2 UUs/UBs.

Personally, I'd cast my vote against the Yellowflag. While it does add more flavor to the civ, all it really does in the show is get blown up/destroyed by gunfire again and again. Not really a good Hotel replacement, since it doesn't really attract tourists nor house them. I'd scrap it and maybe swap out the free Narcotics for free Alcohol.

I'm really digging that new OP with the new Roanapur art and attributes. But I feel like a free unique luxury from every city + a different free unique luxury from a late-game UB is a bit redundant. If it were me, I'd cut one or the other, but then again, if it were me, I'd limit it to 2 UUs/UBs.

Personally, I'd cast my vote against the Yellowflag. While it does add more flavor to the civ, all it really does in the show is get blown up/destroyed by gunfire again and again. Not really a good Hotel replacement, since it doesn't really attract tourists nor house them. I'd scrap it and maybe swap out the free Narcotics for free Alcohol.

Personally, I like having more than 2 uniques. I mean; 4000 years of human history and only 2 things separate Japan from the Aztecs? To me, that seems boring. Plus, considering the fact that it is a one-city civ, it does need some way of keeping pace with other civs.

Bit of an update on Roanapur (I left it alone for a while to focus on other projects).

Everything, aside from the diplo-responses are complete The generic, base-game diplo responses are about halfway complete, and only the Lua has been touched for the unique responses. (If anyone wants to help with that, I'd appreciate it greatly, and you'll be credited as a contributor, though I doubt I'll be getting any offers)

A few changes have been made to the uniques (not yet reflected in the graphic). As per RawSasquatch's suggestion, the Yellowflag has been removed. While I do prefer more uniques, I have seen a correlation between the performance of modded civs on the workshop, and whether or not they might come across as over-designed. Darkscythe's Spice and Wolf civ is one of the few I've seen that escapes this trend.

Also, the Black Lagoon has been made much stronger, however, it is incapable of attacking. Also, the Vissotoniki unit has been changed; they no longer can use enemy roads (a pretty useless ability that felt tacked on, IMO), and are now much stronger than the infantry.

Alright, so all of Balalaika's base-game diplomacy lines have been written out. Now all that's left are the unique diplomacy dialogues (and an update for the graphic). As a bit of a teaser for those unique lines, here are a few first greetings I've written out for a few different modded civs:

Darkscythe's Spice and Wolf civ:
"I see we have a newcomer in Roanapur. I've heard rumours of a wolf-girl with a keen business sense. A pleasure to finally meet you in person, Miss Mudryyvolk. Take care not to let these streets eat you alive."

RawSasquatch's Kingdom of Kyrat:
"My, my. It's become dissapointingly rare to find an individual who looks unafraid to take a life, and at the same time, understands the importance of dressing themselves presentably. I think I'll be keeping my eye on you."

Vicevirtuoso's Vocaloid civ:

"I see we have a newcomer in Roanapur. A robot that sings, hmm? I don't think I'll ever understand the things that are popular with children these days. ...Oh, I'm getting too old for all of this!"

So, still working on the diplo-responses. I knew it would be tedious work, but I didn't think it would be THIS tedious. When I'm done, Roanapur will have, to-date, the most extensive number of diplo-responses of any civ I've put out. In fact, not a word of a lie, I guarantee it already has more diplo-lines than every other civ I've written them for, combined.

But on a more important note, I've recently learned that Vicevirtuoso has made a public tutorial on how to add dynamic leaderscenes to a mod. That being the case, I think I'd love to try my hand at including that in the Roanapur mod.

So, I've gone ahead and drawn up three different leaderscenes, each with a slightly different expression, to represent the different "moods" of Balalaika. I want to hear peoples' input.

Neutral/Guarded (was the original diplo-scene)
Spoiler :

Hostile/At War:
Spoiler :

Friendly:
Spoiler :

The Neutral/Guarded one would also be for Afraid, though since I've put her Afraid bias so low, that shouldn't really ever be an issue.

Aaaand Roanapur is now officially released (DL links in the OP)!

There are still a lot more unique diplo response that I'd like to add, but I can do that in a later update. For the time being, please enjoy! :D (I hope)

Oh, interesting! I hope you get Soul Society done too. The UA concept is cool, hope you get the balance right.

The character on the right side of Yamamoto in the banner, what anime is that?

@COF

One that still reads Bleach! I got lost somewhere... and I can't be arsed to find where I stopped. .___.'

Oh, interesting! I hope you get Soul Society done too. The UA concept is cool, hope you get the balance right.

The character on the right side of Yamamoto in the banner, what anime is that?

@COF

One that still reads Bleach! I got lost somewhere... and I can't be arsed to find where I stopped. .___.'

Hey, thanks! Soul Society is definitely in the queue, it's more a matter of when, rather than if. The writing is what takes the lion's share of the work on these mods; especially the diplo-response.

As for the character on Yamamoto's right, that's Clare from Claymore.

For future reference to anyone who may want to know, the characters on that banner, in order from left to right, are: Genryusai Yamamoto (Bleach), Clare (Claymore), Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon), Balalaika (Black Lagoon), Akame (Akame Ga Kill!) - who actually won't be used as a leader for anything, and Sir Integra Hellsing (Hellsing Ultimate). I probably should add this to the OP.

Since I'm having to redraw the expressions myself for the dynamic leaderscenes, I'd like a second opinion on whether or not this looks OK:

Spoiler :

Yeah, I think her face looks great.

Alright, cool. Thanks!

BTW, COF, you had said before that you were willing to offer help with the Soul Society civ. If that offer is still available, and you're willing to do some writing; specifically a Dawn of Man quote and/or diplomacy responses, that would definitely go a long way, and you would be credited as a co-contributor. If, of course, that appeals to you. No pressure, and no worries if you don't want to/can't.

Alright, cool. Thanks!

BTW, COF, you had said before that you were willing to offer help with the Soul Society civ. If that offer is still available, and you're willing to do some writing; specifically a Dawn of Man quote and/or diplomacy responses, that would definitely go a long way, and you would be credited as a co-contributor. If, of course, that appeals to you. No pressure, and no worries if you don't want to/can't.

Add me on Steam, I am very interested in helping out for Soul Society any way I can.
It may not be the best manga(or good) but it kinda got me into other manga, so I have a personal attachment to it.

Add me on Steam, I am very interested in helping out for Soul Society any way I can.
It may not be the best manga(or good) but it kinda got me into other manga, so I have a personal attachment to it.

Alright, sweet; added.

Yeah, it does have its faults, but it was the first anime I ever really truly got into, and it does have some pretty awesome moments.

Just a few icons for future civs to show off:

Remnant (RWBY)

The Hellsing Organization (Hellsing)

Gekkostate (Eureka Seven)

The Empire (Akame Ga Kill)

On second thought, I'm debating whether or not the colour combination for the RWBY civ icon is a good choice. Can someone else confirm whether or not this is legible?

Top Bottom