"Don't Cry for me Argentina!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
MP is up and running at last, and I assure you, this was not all an elaborate April Fools' joke (it's still the day here in the States).

Even if it's kind of hilarious to see Christos and a parody of Christos in the same game. We're off to a fantastic start.

It's not even April 1st yet, can't you wait until the day itself to start making these jokes?
I dressed up for the event (see avatar) so no.

Even if it's kind of hilarious to see Christos and a parody of Christos in the same game. We're off to a fantastic start.
I've actually wondered what it would be like to watch christos playing an entire game against all his old countries.

I've actually wondered what it would be like to watch christos playing an entire game against all his old countries.

I can only hope I'm able to do Mad King George justice with this one :mischief:

Oh. And a Japan that's totally not an expy of Joecoolyo's.

This is going to be a weird one for me.

A game where the NPCs routinely betray their player allies, but there is no way to quit...

real talk guys kipo and the age of the wonderbeasts is great and y'all should go watch thaaat

real talk guys kipo and the age of the wonderbeasts is great and y'all should go watch thaaat

The next space IOT needs to be prefaced with:

There is no fun quite like being a GM, sitting down at the computer with your morning caffeine of choice, and, it being Turn One, you already have two wars on your hands.

So! In between turns in MP I'm trying to create a master file for myself demarcating the exact rules of NPC behavior.

...why do I feel like I'm drafting a peace treaty with the players after a ten year war?

Spoiler :
The Anatomy of Initiative, OR, a Guide to NPC Behavioral Rules

NPCs are always a contentious aspect of gameplay, being able to add flavor but always running a potential risk of becoming so omnipresent they railroad a game. I figured a comprehensive post about their behavioral rules in this game was merited.

First, the concept of “Initiative.” Initiative is allocated randomly to 5% of the NPC states (4 at the time of this writing) per turn. It allows NPCs more freedom with how they behave, granting one action – public or covert, the NPC’s choice – to advance that state’s particular interest. NPCs will invariably be secondary to players by simple fact that they only have 1 Action to the players’ 3.

What might a state pursue? There are some very straightforward predictions; a states' listed Issues often give a hint what they will prioritize. States that are corrupt may try to clean up. States that with a weak regime may try to consolidate. Many of them, having only one Unit, will try to attain an extra Unit for the enormous defense benefits that brings. For states that are aggressive, they will probably seek increased capability to wage war. Peaceful states will lean towards non-aggression and defense pacts.

What Requires Initiative

Any policy action with mechanical effects. Treaties, rolling for new Units, changes to government style, espionage, all of it.

Initiating hostilities beyond their borders. An NPC’s Units may not venture outside their territory unless as part of a player-directed operation, or when the NPC itself has Initiative. Fair warning: a declaration of war does not count as a policy action without some mechanical effect tied to it, e.g. cutting all trade.

What Does Not Require Initiative

Diplomatic statements. NPC states are free to signal their intentions and perspectives… of course, bear in mind these may not be entirely truthful.

Placing and moving units around territory.

Small relationship adjustments. NPC opinions on states may shift slightly in response to behavior, e.g. being aggressive may cause peaceful states to lower their opinion of you, particularly if near the warzone. Generally it will only be +1/-1.

Meanwhile, given MP is an anniversary title, I am trying to compile a list of notable states throughout IOT history that could possibly be snuck in as NPCs as things develop, with varying degrees of how much they are an expy. Suggestions are welcome!

Currently in-game:

Kingdom of China (MP1)
Papal States (various games but based on MP1)
Poland (MP1)
Crusader State (various games but based on MP1)
Korea (MP1)
Angola (MP1)
Oz (MP1) - Hilariously, this one got Initiative twice already. I think the Random Number God has a sense of humor.
Siberia (MP1)
Empire of the Rising Sun (IOT IV)
Neo-Inca Empire (IOT IV)

Current backup states I can think of:

Marian Republic (IOT IV)
Marian Republic (Sombrist, IOT IV: A)
Riccio (RIOT)
Byzantine Empire (The memes, Jack)

Of course, the best part of all this is the FRCN being in the game, reprised by Kinich himself!

I think posts like these might be better suited to IOT Development in the future...

Eh what's the harm? It's not like he's crowding a lively debate about Wittgenstein.

Actually yeah you're right, two wrongs don't make a left. Just because I think its poopy that people won't let people have fun in Argentina doesn't mean I should become the No Fun police.

That’s the spirit! Now, then, back to Wittgenstein.

I'm suddenly reminded the Equestrian Empire was a thing in one of the games.

Honoring our genre's diplomatic heritage, the term "IO" - for international organization - gets thrown around a lot in international relations literature.

The question is, what does our "T" stand for? The three Ts, perhaps?

Personally I'm amused how versatile the IOT acronym is considering it originates in me being a Romaboo.

Clearly we are all an Internet of Things.

IR degree holders are all spooks but on the other hand this means I can use my IOt experience to find a job at CIA so it's a wash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom