Downloads Database Migrated

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-6_20-58-18.png
    upload_2016-10-6_20-58-18.png
    219.7 KB · Views: 177
One thing that is more "credit due where credit is due" problems that I have with the current database, is that in the previous database, I have uploaded many files on behalf of their original creators. There was a field that allows you to specify who created the file, if it is different from who uploaded it. It was necessary at that time, because there was a lot of files to migrate when the database was introduced, and several people went and uploaded lots of files, ranging from a few dozen to hundred files on behalf of others.

That field hasn't made it through the forum migration, so right now I have "ownership" of almost 300 files, most of which aren't created by me, and I don't remember who created them to properly cite.

I know you're busy with the migration @Thunderfall, but can you please let me know if my mod's download page is able to be restored? Devastated to have lost over 6 years worth of updates, ratings and download stats if it's gone.

I know you're busy with the migration @Thunderfall, but can you please let me know if my mod's download page is able to be restored? Devastated to have lost over 6 years worth of updates, ratings and download stats if it's gone.
We still have the info in old DB. See attached JSON files...
For now you could create a new page for it using the info attached. I could help set the download counts to old one later if you want.

Attachments

• 14855-HistoryRewritten.json.txt
    41 KB · Views: 126
  • 14855-HistoryRewritten-comments.json.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
We still have the info in old DB. See attached JSON files...
For now you could create a new page for it using the info attached. I could help set the download counts to old one later if you want.

That would be great, thank you. I'll PM you when I've got a new page up and running.

Again, absolutely HATE the download area now, it list Top Resources:mad:, whereas it should be listed by Top Downloads:), isnt this the "download" section, geez, not fair at all now .. .IMPO
What's the difference? Just the label used?

What's the difference? Just the label used?
Nope, and alot of difference, Top Resource:mad: is what ur buddies think of the mod itself, that doesnt mean a darn thing IMPO, and Top Download :) means how many have "Downloaded" the mod, ALOT difference ...which is how it "was" displayed in the "old" vBulletin script.

Oh, I see what he's talking about. The Top Resource table is sorted by number of ratings instead of number of downloads like it used to be.

All the 5 star ratings have been lowered to 4 stars.
"There's only two hard problems in software engineering: Naming things, cache invalidation, and off-by-one errors"

I have enable access for Unregistered users now. But to download stuff, they need to be logged in.
Please tell me this can be changed. I despise sites that do this.
Agreed, this is counterproductive. As a content creator I don't want to force people to sign up on CFC to download my stuff. Many people lurk in the forums while playing the mods we make here.

Most of my stuff is hosted externally for size reasons so I don't know if that's really affected, but if this stance isn't reversed I'm just going to link people directly to my Sourceforge or Github downloads.

One thing that is more "credit due where credit is due" problems that I have with the current database, is that in the previous database, I have uploaded many files on behalf of their original creators. There was a field that allows you to specify who created the file, if it is different from who uploaded it. It was necessary at that time, because there was a lot of files to migrate when the database was introduced, and several people went and uploaded lots of files, ranging from a few dozen to hundred files on behalf of others.

That field hasn't made it through the forum migration, so right now I have "ownership" of almost 300 files, most of which aren't created by me, and I don't remember who created them to properly cite.
Good point, I also have a couple of uploads that are mostly fixing/adapting/wrapping around content other people have created. I would like to keep them properly credited as original creators.

Congratulations on a successful migration and glad to see the Database move. Thanks for the continued work and updated information. Here's a few observations:

1. Image files attached to downloads now have a number at the end of their address after the file extension. This causes links to those images, for example previews in threads, to no longer function. Also, in the old database the first attached image would by default become the preview image for the download. While there is an option to manually add an image as a preview, this would have to be done individually for existing downloads. Considering the thousands of downloads we have available, this would be tedious work for the creators to correct and would leave many files by users no longer active without preview images .

2. I think Delta Strife brought this up earlier but I'll reiterate. I like the new feature where multiple areas in the database can now be viewed together; for example you can see all Civ 5 downloads sorted by date. On the other hand, you now have to reload the page every time you drill down a level, which gets tiresome quick. It would be nice if these categories could be expanded and collapsed like a navigation pane, if that's a possibility.

3. For what it's worth, I'll echo the sentiment here that it would be great to see downloads available without registration. Guests are here downloading and browsing in large numbers. I first came to the site by random search looking for an official patch. Had a registration been required at the time, I may well have looked for another site that didn't require one. As it was, I ended up finding the database and forums and eventually wanted to participate and ask questions. I've seen many first posts throughout the site from users who were longtime lurkers and guests first before joining. Was this change made for specific reasons?

Thanks.

I have updated permissions so it's no longer required to register or log in to download files now.
That is most excellent Thunderfall, super glad to see that back again absolutely essential IMO

Indeed. Thank you so much! :woohoo:

After getting used to the new forum, I am glad that you decided to migrate the forum from vBulletin to Xenforo. It contains many missing options and features.

The downloads section at the bottom of the main forum overview seems to be somehow not connected with the download database...or do I see this wrong o_O?
Yeah, it's weird. I have made that forum hidden for now and will delete it later after some time.

I don't think it's link to the new resources manager in anyway.

Top Bottom