Dream Thread

A work colleague, who retired years ago, is in town. We're in a public place together, but I'm still somehow regarded as his "host." He faults me for not offering him coffee, as a good host should do. I tell him that it's way later in the day than I ever drink coffee, and that's why it never occurred to me to offer him any. I'm not closed to providing him coffee, though, so I walk down a commercial street in search of a coffee shop. I get him some coffee. On my return trip, I ask for permission from a different restaurant to use one of their tables. In addition to the coffee, I seem to have purchased a pizza as well, thinking the guy might want that, or that my hosting requires that. I open the pizza box and it's not a full pizza, just various pieces of various shapes. It's almost the quantity of a full pizza, but not quite. When I bought it (which I don't remember having done) my thinking (which I do remember) had been "well we don't need a full meal; this is just a snack." But now looking at the pizza, I'm sure that the guy will be again disappointed with my hosting. Another work colleague, who has never appeared previously in the dream (but when she does, she's been present for all of these events) gets absolutely exasperated with me for how hard I am trying to accommodate the retiree.
If someone comes from the past, isn't the one in the present by default his host? :)
Your dreams are always charming. Maybe hot coffee can help even a ghost materialize or warm to the new environment.

Last night: I was driving a stolen car through busy streets. I haven't driven at all in years, both irl and in the dream, but I was doing better than I thought I would. Obstacles kept appearing in front of me, of increasing difficulty, like in a video game. First, normal, but heavy, traffic. Then a trolley car (there are still a few places around here where you have to get around street-cars). Then a fire engine with lights and sirens going. Then a police car with its flashing lights on coming up behind me, and I had to decide whether he was coming for me and I should book it, or I should just hold my nerve and play it cool until he drove past me (it was the latter). Then I was driving off-road, but I didn't know how I'd gotten there, as if the road had just disappeared underneath me. Suddenly I was driving across a golf course, trying not to hit anybody (for some reason, I felt I needed to stay on the little paved paths they have for the golf carts). I remember thinking I had to get somewhere. I wanted to just ditch the car, but I couldn't yet, for reasons that felt important. I remember thinking it would've been better if Olivia Wilde was there. Not just 'cause she's Olivia Wilde and everything would be better with Olivia Wilde, but because she'd actually have been able to help somehow. Like she was supposed to be in the car, but I got stuck with it and just had to deal. I got through the golf course and back on a regular road, but I don't think the dream had an ending, I think I just woke up, The End.

you are not going to have her number from CFC .

as required , ı didn't have an affair with Olivia Wilde . Isn't she married anyhow ?

Last night: I was driving a stolen car through busy streets. I haven't driven at all in years, both irl and in the dream, but I was doing better than I thought I would. Obstacles kept appearing in front of me, of increasing difficulty, like in a video game. First, normal, but heavy, traffic. Then a trolley car (there are still a few places around here where you have to get around street-cars). Then a fire engine with lights and sirens going. Then a police car with its flashing lights on coming up behind me, and I had to decide whether he was coming for me and I should book it, or I should just hold my nerve and play it cool until he drove past me (it was the latter). Then I was driving off-road, but I didn't know how I'd gotten there, as if the road had just disappeared underneath me. Suddenly I was driving across a golf course, trying not to hit anybody (for some reason, I felt I needed to stay on the little paved paths they have for the golf carts). I remember thinking I had to get somewhere. I wanted to just ditch the car, but I couldn't yet, for reasons that felt important. I remember thinking it would've been better if Olivia Wilde was there. Not just 'cause she's Olivia Wilde and everything would be better with Olivia Wilde, but because she'd actually have been able to help somehow. Like she was supposed to be in the car, but I got stuck with it and just had to deal. I got through the golf course and back on a regular road, but I don't think the dream had an ending, I think I just woke up, The End.
Grand Dream Auto.

Grand Dream Auto.
I've actually never played any of those games. I was thinking Drive (2011) with Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan, the scene at the beginning.

A scene from an old dream (I was reading my diary) :
I wanted to keep a bird busy - maybe a crow or something other with a dangerous beak - and so decided to break a piece of bread into smaller ones so that it would have to move to the next one.
But the bird reacted by dividing itself into as many birds as the pieces :p

There's another note on what happened. One'd assume that the bird would indeed be distracted for longer, if the bread wasn't broken up, consequently a real separation (one piece here, another there) of the distraction was not just forbidden but actually punished.

Sadly I don't remember if the bird divided itself to smaller versions of itself. I doubt it.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had someone from real life acting out of character in a dream? Because usually anyone from real life I see in a dream acts just like their real counterpart down to their voice and mannerisms. I once had a teacher who was very quick-witted and was always make clever, scathing remarks. I am not quick-witted myself, yet whenever I saw him in a dream he would always be making those sort of remarks and taunts, and not the ones I'd heard before, but like my mind was making up stuff for his dream avatar to say, and yet it always felt like something he would say in real life

I wanted to keep a bird busy - maybe a crow or something other with a dangerous beak - and so decided to break a piece of bread into smaller ones so that it would have to move to the next one.
But the bird reacted by dividing itself into as many birds as the pieces :p
This is like one of those logic/math puzzles you put to us: "You have a loaf of bread and there is a bird to feed. When you split the loaf into two pieces, the bird splits into two birds. How can you get the bird fed?"

But how frequently do other people dream of people from real life acting out of character, or acting against your experience of them?

There must be a better way to phrase that last clause

When real-life people appear in my dreams they tend to act like their real-life selves.

My guess is that they have come into the dream as a result of their personal attributes. So, the particular work colleague who got exasperated at how hard I was trying to accommodate the retiree, would in real life react that same way. So I figure my dream wanted the meaning "you're working too hard to accommodate the retiree" and picked that particular colleague, because I would associate her with such a message, find such a message in character, coming from her.

I have just had the oddest experience, so I am putting it down right now before I go to sleep again while the details are still fresh in my mind.

Since I've woken in the morning I've been sleepy; I barely studied an hour for the exam, slept on the way to university, was very alert nonetheless when giving the exam, then slept on the way back. Was just barely conscious when I reached home and fell immediately on the bed.

First for dream 1, which wasn't that odd, but I'm still putting it down. I can't place exactly at what point I had the dream, whether it was in the car or at home, but had it I did.

Dream: when the car stopped in the neighbour's driveway there was a weird Vegimal-like animal there, but very cute. It looked at me the way a dog or a cat looks at you, when they expect you to tickle it or shower it with affection otherwise, so I started tickling and stroking. But I was somehow simultaneously also in the car, which wasn't done parking, so it was hitting the creature. So I gently shooed it away, while telling the driver to be careful, who merely responded brusquely to tell me to keep it away or he would hit it. So when the car stopped I got out and the creature skipped gaily beside me as I walked to my grandmother's. As it was rushing across the path, I bent down to pat or rub its head, like you do with cats, but because it was moving so fast (according to the immediate dream-logic) it scraped against the concrete and ended up on the grass, inert with its legs all mashed, and it turned its head and looked at me with the expression of a child that is pained and outraged, and opened its mouth as if to cry but no sound came out.

You know how when you accidentally smash a bug but it doesn't die but its legs get crushed so it's going to die anyway but slowly so you smash it properly so it doesn't have to go through the pain? I did the same to this creature, I had to, until it broke into into pieces, and those pieces were slices of fruit.

Dream 2 I don't remember the details of, but my grandmother was scolding me for no reason, or for a false reason, and wouldn't listen to my defense and just accused me of stuff I didn't do, increasingly until the point that feeling angry and frustrated and miserable in general I started bawling like a child. Not a very pleasant dream.

The odd experience was the next series of dreams. I was in bed, the same bed I was sleeping in in real life in the exact same posture, facing right. From the direction of the writing desk (that is to say the direction my feet were pointing in) came a very faint sound of someone tearing paper or crunching on biscuits, I was too tired to even turn and raise my head look). I thought it was my grandmother (I had not yet met her because she had been praying in the other room and I had been so tired that I just went straight to mine) and so I decided not to turn and look for fear of embarrassing her (for some reason). At some point I decided that I had to get up and greet her instead of making her wait, but I found that I was too tired. I had to shake my head until I forced myself to wake, and then I realised it had just been a dream. Dead tired, I drifted back to sleep.

I was still in bed, in the same posture as my real life one. Now I heard the faint sound of crunching biscuits again, but this time from the left of the writing desk. I listened to it for a while, and then shook my head to wake up again.

Now for the third time. Still in bed, still in the same position. Now I heard the sound coming from immediately behind me. The sound was louder and unmistakable, it was the sound of someone tearing paper. I listened for a while, just to make sure because I couldn't believe what was happening, then I tried the old trick of shaking my head to wake up but I discovered that I was frozen with fear. I could feel my arms and my hands, and they were frozen too. I thought of screaming but my mouth wouldn't open, but at last with a feeble two shakes of the head I manage to jerk out of the dream, and found my entire body trembling.

That's it. Now between each of the last three dreams I am 100% certain I was awake, because as soon as I woke up, I was mentally describing to myself how I would write this down in this thread. Because the last two dreams had been interesting enough that I already made a mental note to write them down maybe. So after I force-woke from the first of the last three dreams I was immediately narrating the dream the way I would in this thread, then I drifted into the second, and repeat.

After the third dream I went to sleep yet again, but my grandmother had finished praying and came up and woke me, then I had to leave the house for some business, so I've worn off the tiredness. I am done writing this, so I am now going back to sleep shortly.

taking everything at face value you are at an age that you are expected to do stuff for mankind and all . It is not your remit to fix the world . Your power and reach (by a possibility of 99,99%) will remain low ; you can do still do stuff . But can't do everything . It is a question of balance and no , it is not easy or will become easier later . Don't do this , hiding under blankets with apathy ...

29-03-2024a.jpg

the world will just laugh at you .

nor burn yourself with pointless stuff , so that the "struggle" will become a farce .

29-03-2024b.jpg

do not get into a blame game . Everything is not the fault of ancients . Something that BECOMES easier to understand when you become an ancient yourself . Hard to understand grandparents before becoming at least a parent by one's own self . It is a very good thing if you end up with a balance and still not content in a way , about the world and so on . This is where you , ı can't say ı know what exactly to say ... but ... respect some question . How many divisions do you have ? Let them take the lead , that's why they exist for .

Those last three dreams were one of the weirdest experiences I've ever had. After the third one I was this much creeped out that I thought of going to my grandmother's room to sleep, but I was too tired to even sit up.

I wonder what would have happened the fourth time if my grandmother hadn't woken me. I don't know how long I had been asleep, mustn't been no more than a few minutes.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't deep asleep for the last three dreams, I was only half-asleep, like the way you doze off for a while. Or half-asleep in the sense that I seemed to be cognisant of what was happening in the real world; the fourth time I was aware of my grandmother entering the room before she had even touched me. And each time for those three dreams when I woke up I would be thinking about what had just happened and then I'd hear that sound.

I don't generally have nightmares. But one time I dreamed that someone I loved was drowning. And I woke up from it more terrified than anything I've ever experienced in real life before that or since.

In my dream a TV was on in the background & Trump was talking and I was like wait a minute, Trump's a girl. Long hair and a dress but voice was the same. Everyone still called him he.

Later I was hanging out on the street, nice sunny street, definitely not England but not Florida or NY either , I felt a little high. I was lying down on a car looking at the sky. One of the people w me said we should all post on Twitter. I started writing something and then looked at it and it looked like nonsense to me and I thought, wtf am I posting on the Internet it's a beautiful day. When I woke up I'm like wtf I can't even come w a dream that doesn't involve some virtual **** :(

I went inside to work out. There was a big open space it was like a gym, library, community center w ping pong, kids playing there. Was cool.

Has anyone of you had a dream where someone you don't know in real life has a name, or is referred to by their name?
Yeah I have friends in dreams who's names I know & who I feel like I know as well as real life ones & when I wake I'm like wait who tf who that supposed to be?

Nobody in my dreams I don't recognize ever has a name.. I don't think. I almost never dream about people I know either. When people I know show up in my dreams they are key elements of the dream. For example, I had a "Mall World" dream last year that left a bit of an impact on me. I was walking through this mall-world-like building and passing a lot of people. Suddenly time slowed down and a friend who I used to be close to sort of.. danced through the hallways? It wasn't entirely a dance either, but more like a majestic procession of her through the hallway, almost like she was floating? Around here were all sorts of people who were moving with her, nobody I could recognize.. but the spotlight was very much on her. This lasted maybe 5-10 seconds, and then she was gone in some hallway off to the right. Then my dream proceeded as before, with random people I couldn't identify.. My friend who flew/danced through the hallway in front of me though.. I could feel her presence even before she showed up. It's like there was this vibe/feeling/atmosphere all around her that was.. her essence? I felt it and knew it was her. She didn't say anything to me, but sort of radiated positivity and happiness. It was a very powerful feeling that stuck with me even after I woke up.

Over the last 8 months or so, since the time of my dad's passing, I've only had a handful of dreams with people I recognize.. My dad had a bit of a starring role in all those dreams, although my mom made my appearance once, as well as a friend of the family I haven't talked to in a while (but reconnected with a bit after the dream). The vast majority of people in my dreams are .. nobodies. Although sometimes somebody will show up and I will feel that I know them.. but they never have a name.

The night before my dad had a fateful accident, leading to his death, I had a dream about him. I was 800km+ away at this time, staying with a friend I was visiting. The dream was odd, it was basically just my dad sitting there eating a sandwich, maybe on a park bench. Nothing else happened. The whole dream radiated peacefulness. All around the bench and my dad was a sort of white/grey mist/cloud/fuzzyness. The dream had a different vibe to it than dreams I usually have. First of all, something strange usually happens in my dream, but in this dream like I said it was just a sandwich being eaten.. It also had this curiously peaceful vibe to it. I thought about the dream a bunch the next day, as me and my friend headed out on our hike.. A couple hours later I got that fateful call.

I miss the lucid dreams I used to have. The ones I remember most.. One was my first ever lucid dream, in which I was walking around a sunny day in northern Germany, where I used to live, surrounded by farmfields. This was the first time I decided to consciously try to fly in a dream. The sunshine hitting my skin felt so real I have never forgotten this dream. There was also the very vivid dream I had 2 days before the space shuttle blew up, about the space shuttle blowing up. The dream was so weird and vivid that I wrote to all my friends on ICQ about it right after I woke up. The next day I was woken up by non-stop phonecalls and a crapload of messages on my ICQ. My dream came through, although in a somewhat different way than what I dreamt about. There was also a lucid dream I had in which I remember jumping out one of those mobile infantry carrying units, along with my at the time best friend. We were in the middle of a muddy battlefield, and everyone started running in one direction. I stopped my friend and asked him what was going on, and he said: "The Germans are coming". I asked him "Who are you?" (to see what the response would be), but he didn't say anything and just took off running. All these lucid dreams happened when I was in high school or university.. I haven't really had a true lucid dream since.

There was also a strange dream I had once when I was a 6-10 year old. I was in a dream and realized it, but didn't wake up (and didn't know anything about lucid dream about the time). In the dream I was walking around the city in Poland where we lived... for what felt like hours. Eventually I started getting that dreadful feeling that I've overslept and will be late for school, if I don't wake up.. but I couldn't snap out of the dream. I tried a bunch of stuff, and nothing worked.. not even lying down on the sidewalk, people stepping on my body and face. I was frustrated so I lied down in the middle of the road. A car was about to hit me, but then I woke up.. hours before I had to be up for school.

Now that I think about it, I also had a strange inception type dream at that age. I went to sleep in a dream. Then I woke up, went to the bathroom, washed my face, brushed my teeth, got dressed, and ready for school.. and.. I woke up again. and had to do it all over. Somehow the first time was me waking up from a dream inside a dream. It felt so strange.. and has never happened again.

In high school I once had a dream that I was cycling around Lake Erie... for hours and hours and hours and maybe even days? The dream felt suuuuuper long, and all I was doing was basically cycling by the water, cars occasionally passing me. The water was on my left, so I was going around Lake Erie in a counter-clock wise fashion. I distinctly remember being in the U.S. for parts of this, although I don't remember how I knew that. I just knew it.

Now that I really think about it.. In the last 20 years or so, the weirdest dreams that I had occurred in New Orleans. I was visiting a friend and staying at his place for 3-4 nights. I had a dream every single night.. which was weird in itself, as I usually don't remember my dreams. I might go for 3-4 months without remembering one.. but in New Orleans I had curious dreams that I remembered every single night. In the first dream my friend's roommate came home in the middle of the night. I was sleeping on a mattress in the middle of the livingroom, not too far from the front door. In the dream his roommate opened the front door, walked in, and stumbled into my mattress, waking me up. Then he got upset and started yelling at me. When I woke up (for real), I had to sit down and think things through. Did that really happen? At first I honestly had no idea. 5-10 minutes later I came to the conclusion that it didn't make sense for that to have been real, although it felt really really real. It just wouldn't have made sense for the roommate to yell so much, and my friend not being woken up by it either. That was the only give-away that this was a dream. Other than that my mind was almost 100% convinced that this really happened. It was so odd to sit there after waking up, trying to sort through that. The next night I had a weird dream that I was walking through this busted up house, which had random holes in the walls. There was some sort of a presence making its way through the house. I could feel it but couldn't see it. I knew that I had to stay away from it. Then I saw a baby on the ground.. I picked it up, and the baby's brains started pouring out of its head, through my hands. There were also occasionally weird looking things in the holes in the walls. A really creepy dream. I never have creepy dreams, I never dream about dark creatures, or monsters.. So to dream about some weird presence walking around the house, and the baby.. and the creepy house.. It creeped me out. I wish I could remember what the dream the next night was.. I can't remember now though. This was just before the great pandemic.

There was also a strange dream I had once when I was a 6-10 year old. I was in a dream and realized it, but didn't wake up (and didn't know anything about lucid dream about the time). In the dream I was walking around the city in Poland where we lived... for what felt like hours. Eventually I started getting that dreadful feeling that I've overslept and will be late for school, if I don't wake up.. but I couldn't snap out of the dream. I tried a bunch of stuff, and nothing worked.. not even lying down on the sidewalk, people stepping on my body and face. I was frustrated so I lied down in the middle of the road. A car was about to hit me, but then I woke up.. hours before I had to be up for school.
This reminded me of a weird dream I had some months ago.

To put some context, this was I think a few days after the first dream I remember in which I forced myself to wake up. Let me deal with this dream first. Before going to bed I'd been listening to a bunch of songs and – I don't know how common it is for other people – but my brain of its accord makes up melodies and tunes. Because I couldn't sleep, and I hadn't anything else to do, I started structuring the tune into a proper song. I had made a passable song (with half-baked lyrics) when at some point I slipped into sleep. I don't know at which point. I know that there was a band playing the song, but whether I had been imagining it and it carried into the dream or whether it was only in the dream I can't tell. But as they were playing that same song, the tune turned tense and urgent, the tempo increased building up to a climax, and there was an increasing sense of claustrophobia, like walls closing around me. I was somehow conscious I had lost control of the song and was in a dream, and desperately forced myself to wake up. When I woke up, my head was cleared, but either my eyes were still closed or my vision just hadn't returned but for some time I could only see a swirling blackness. And then my vision returned. It was my first dream I had forced myself to wake up from, and I was pretty creeped up about it that night.

Coming back to the dream I was reminded of. In the real world I was supposed to go to university tomorrow. In the dream I was in the car with my grandmother and uncle – going where? I don't know, but I do remember that suddenly I realised I had to go to university, and I also had some idea I was in a dream. I couldn't go away with them in the car, I had university tomorrow, I had to wake up. And I did. Again the swirling blackness in my eyes, and then my vision returned.

Top Bottom