Dream Thread

Another one of my bad sleep movie dreams. This one had a touch of Foundation series, maybe a bit of Dune, and helova lot of nuclear war.

Yakov Smirnoff was driving me around to a bunch of my distant relatives for really boring conversation. I also didn’t have any pants on, just a bath towel. I was annoyed at the situation because I just wanted to relax on my holiday and not be shuttled around from house to house.

Yakov, by the way, was not saying anything funny—he was just driving.

I was at a big family reunion in a rented house and the thermostat was erroring and was trying to say “CHECK METER” in clock font but the E was broken so instead said “Chick meter”. The thermostat was next to a bed so we were all laughing about it making jokes. This was after my younger brother and I got in a belt fight over his leaving early.

I had an interesting dream the other night. Managed to talk Peter Jackson into changing the Uruk Hai phrase from 'Find the halfling' to 'Find the halfwit'. Received a kick in the ribs from gf because of the chuckling in the middle of the night.

I was one of the competitors in often-fixed motorcycle racing. Once, when the cops burst in, I quipped, "Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. And sometime you go to jail."

How often does someone make a joke in a dream? ;)

Last edited:
dreamcaster on it again . Am doing stuff ı don't remember now and the external voice tells of all the predictions of doom ı ever made , "this" was the only one to turn out true . A car with some malfunction but it still keeps moving . ı follow it on foot , arriving at some sort of a garage sale . Am about to get something very big , a machine ı have no clue above when the surrounding terrain suddenly goes natural , with the houses and the roads disappear . Some action movie type thing . Bad people who might be Nazis have hung Superman by the wrists ; they might have killed him ... Batman is in the premises ... External voice tells me to look at Conan . Who first saves a pictish priest , a blood enemy , then maybe the chief bad guy from He-man cartoons , because of typical movie plot of against bigger evil , everyone should unite ...

then he saves Red Sonya . 1-She would reject she was ever caught . 2-She would reject that she would ever be bad to steal half a bucket of gold . 3- She would reject that in the unlikely case of being bad , she would manage to steal ONLY half a bucket of gold . 4-She would reject leaving . Certainly not when there was a fight !

after the Red Sonya administered chewing , Dreamcaster sends me in some sort of undercover mission where ı fail to locate my favourite Hungarian mech driver , which forms the basis of the accusation that ı would start a world war because of personal reasons , for one person even . As proven by the thing that ı propose to deploy troops for movie making reasons , which like would be a mobilization cover . Uhm , Dreamcaster , if ever allowed , ı would start a war even for you . That's why am given the immediate/future command of the Starfleet , right ?

I continuously get Ion Cannon dreams, which are depicted as giant red beams emitted from some orbital ordinance, then having a sort of mid-air nuclear reaction. The resultant effect is like a very powerful nuclear bomb.

I dreamed I was imprisoned in Spain. What the heck was going on with my subconscious to spin out that yarn? :dubious:

... Received a kick in the ribs from gf because of the chuckling in the middle of the night.

Women hate it when their men are having fun.

Last edited:
I dreamed I was imprisoned in Spain. What the heck was going on with my subconscious to spin out that yarn? :dubious:

Women hate it when their men are having fun.

The Pit and the Pendulum? :o

A week ago, or so, I had a very cool dream where (apparently) machines had taken over and were running over and over again a flashback of the end of humans, using machines to act as humans and other machines to act confused towards humans etc.

I wish I dreamt more often. I genuinely remember my dreams once or twice a year. Must be something to do with my sleep pattern?

My partner has crazy and horrible dreams every night. I wish I could share the load sometimes :(

My partner has crazy and horrible dreams every night. I wish I could share the load sometimes :(

When I was in the US, I had crazy and horrible dreams every night. :run:I continued having them for about three years after I retired to the Philippines then they faded away. Work-stress is a vile-toxic thing. :thumbsdown:

Last night, I dreamed I was a bank officer in southern Italy. I was embezzling money from my greedy bank to make unauthorized loans to help out the people of my village.

I wish I dreamt more often.

I read somewhere that a person only remember dreams they wake up during. Between barking dogs :mad: motorcycles without mufflers, :mad: and pre-dawn street vendors blaring their sound equipment :mad:, I get woken up a lot. :sad:

Last edited:
That a person only remember dreams they wake up during. Between barking dogs :mad: motorcycles without mufflers, :mad: and pre-dawn street vendors blaring their sound equipment :mad:, I get woken up a lot. :sad:

I would suggest investing in some earplugs if i had all that to contend with!

Last night, I dreamed I was a bank officer in southern Italy. I was embezzling money from my greedy bank to make unauthorized loans to help out the people of my village.

In other words, a modern-day Robin Hood! :D

Last night I dreamed my old dead and switched off phone suddenly started playing audio clips of my own voice. As I started to investigate, it turned on and I began looking around through camera, noticing I could see objects which were not visible otherwise. This way I saw a nice grey cat, which I tried to pet and stroke on a screen, only to have it somehow ooze or seep through it onto my lap, dissolving the phone in the process. The whole dream felt amazingly real and I was accordingly shaken by these supernatural events. I tried to explain what had happened to my family, but was slurring so badly I was concerned they might not even understand me. Halfway through my excited speech I woke up.

Tl:Dr - your diction really suffers when you are asleep.

mind working on its regular concerns . So , ı notice an Hurricane in the air . The less famous brother of the Spitfire in WW ll . Can make out its distinctive features , except this is a two seater , with pilots wearing jet gear , helmets , visors and oxygen masks and are in "modern trainer" stuff with the rear pilot seated so high that he rides totally above the plane , on what must be an ejection seat bolted to the spine . My internal voice thing tells me am happy to see this , in addition to the Spitfire . My logical brain opposes for ı haven't seen either , nor any prop fighter nor anything . Until the internal voice says it was also in a dream . My logical mind agrees without further objection . (Funnily enough ı imagine ı remember that one , which happened at the previous house my family owned , this is then a dream that happened in 1986 or before !) The plane lands , near my current house . Which leads to a confusing mix of my house , an airport (to one ı have never been to) , a bookstore and an hospital . Happened yesterday . ı had forgotten everything by the time ı went to bed , except the most unlikely Hurricane stuff , but came back to me . No doubt because the latest dream was me finding work , suitably picking up garbage from cans .

Book review on Dreaming

What Dreams Are Made Of

The Oracle of Night
By Sidarta Ribeiro
(Pantheon, 466 pages, $32.50)

Once there was a boy who feared to sleep, beset as he was by troubled dreams. His night terrors contained muddy alleys and dark streets gray with rain. He traveled with companions and knew that one of them would be sacrificed to the appetite of witches. He dreamed, too, of a dangerous criminal, invisible but lurking, hanging like a bat far above his head. And he dreamed of tigers that attacked in deep jungles, and of falling into the blue-black sea teeming with sharks. How, asks the Brazilian neuroscientist Sidarta Ribeiro, are we to make sense of “such a wealth of detail”? How can we explain the nature, recurrence and meaning of dreams? In “The Oracle of Night: The History and Science of Dreams,” Mr. Ribeiro seeks to answer these questions with a sweeping account as tangled and chaotic—and fascinating— as the dreams themselves. Paradoxically familiar yet still mysterious, the “curious state of internal life that we call dreaming,” as Mr. Ribeiro describes it, allows persons and places to be exchanged or transformed “with incredible fluidity.” We build up our nightly narratives as “a simulacrum of reality constructed out of fragments of memories.” As a result, to interpret a dream requires “a deep understanding of the cognitive and emotional context of the dreamer.” “The Oracle of Night” is not, however, an attempt to demystify the act of dreaming. Instead, it reinfuses the dreamscape with beauty, mystery and significance. And it begins with Mr. Ribeiro’s own story; he was that dreaming boy.

Months before his first nightmare, young Sidarta’s father died of a violent heart attack. His mother, now a widow with small children, fell into a depression, and Sidarta found himself old enough to understand the loss and pain but too young to be of any material support. He began dreaming of death and orphanhood. As the dreams went on, however, they began to change. A friend appeared, often resembling his father. Sidarta still faced each successive danger—the criminal, the tiger, the sea, the sharks—alone, but once he understood that the sharks would not hurt him, the dreams stopped. “The understanding that our journey is a solitary one,” Mr. Ribeiro explains, was “recorded in the memory in orange, red, and purple”—the same colors of the sunset sky the day he lost his father.

For thousands of years, humankind read the future in dreams. Later, Freudian psychoanalysis and Jungian archetypes turned the dream into a window to our unconscious past. “The Oracle of Night” means to wed these two notions, weaving past and future together and theorizing dream function “as a crucial tool for surviving in the present.” Mr. Ribeiro writes: “In the last three hundred thousand years, humanity’s biological hardware has changed very little, but the cultural software has evolved apace.” Prehistoric dreams were “mostly made of stone,” but also of hunger, pursuit, rage, fear, desire—and those yearnings are still with us.

Dreaming offers “imagination with no brakes, and no control, set free to fear, to create, to lose and find.” But what is dreaming, and what is it for? In an attempt to find an answer, “The Oracle of Night” takes a breakneck journey through history, from cave paintings and the ancient Greeks to Celtic myths, Egyptian pharaohs, Gilgamesh and Julius Caesar. The text, translated from the Portuguese by Daniel Hahn, moves fluidly from systemic historiography to guesswork and lighthearted extrapolation. (What did dinosaurs dream about?) These leaps in the timeline resemble dreamwork and are perhaps intentional, asking us to surrender to stream-of-conscious ideas as they ramble past us. Zinging between time periods and fields of sometimes jargon-laden study, the book also provides self-conscious sign-posted summaries. (“Let’s do a quick recap. Hundreds of millions of years ago . . . ”) The result is a curiously hybridized book, at times playful, at times intensely scientific.

Mr. Ribeiro, the founder and vice director of the Brain Institute at Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte in Brazil, demonstrates an impressive understanding of dream function. Presiding over “The Oracle of Night” like a patron saint is Sigmund Freud, who showed that dreaming and desire are one, intimately related to our dopamine centers of reward and action. We are still, only now, beginning to understand how we dream: It is more than a fragment of memory; it has a language of its own, valuable to learning, to remembering, to the communication of our humanity to others and to ourselves.

Dreaming offers imagination with no brakes and no control. One is set free to create, to fear, to lose and find—and then interpret.

Despite its well-sourced scientific discussions and the collective weight of its historical case studies, the strength of “The Oracle of Night” lies in its poetic and visceral retelling of dreams. Mr. Ribeiro describes the dream of his pregnant wife, where her grandmother embodies a hammock to rock her, petting her hair and telling her she will be a good mother. He describes Giuseppe Tartini pining after an ungraspable dream in the violinist’s “Devil’s Trill Sonata.” And he tells of his own nightmares, where “the boy advanced, rifle in hand, and started his crossing of the causeway, keeping his balance several yards above a tempestuous, foamy, lead-green sea.” In these moments, the author demonstrates the most provocative argument of all: Because we all dream, the retellings provide us with a common experience of humanity. We feel the same strange slippage of time and being, of reality and sense, and nod in our agreement that these are not mere fragments of memory but pieces of ourselves.

Daunting in its breadth and encyclopedic in structure, “The Oracle of Night” contains a narrative thread that leads the reader from its inception to close. Mr. Ribeiro reminds us to push back against a culture of insomnia, to prioritize sleep, and to actively control, recall and learn from our dreams. “Similar circadian rhythms are found in almost all living beings,” he tells us. Perhaps dreams may even be a hallmark of life itself.

Ms. Schillace is editor in chief of the journal Medical Humanities and the author, most recently, of “Mr. Humble and Dr. Butcher.”

I was a comedy writer on the Seinfeld show. We were able to recruit, as a special guest writer, Herbert Higgeman, the most celebrated comedy writer in America. :worship:

We threw him a very formal pre-show dinner. My job was to provide the place cards. On one side was the diner's name. On the other was written, "Welcome Herbert Higeman, the Shakespear of American comidy writers!"

Top Bottom