1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth2000.OneBillion Se

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Bungus, Sep 9, 2005.

1. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

Bungus, you could add a new basic unit called Tribesman or something and give it the defense flag. You could even make it a start unit and make it upgrade to the warrior so the AI won't build more. There are several warrior replacement graphics that would fit.

2. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

@Space One & Weasel: Heh, There's already a tribal guardian, a non-buildable, non-aggressive unit that appears at the the AI's first settlement. As for graphics, every available suitable graphic from the forums has been used. Soon enough after playing you'll see; its not 400 megs of nothing. Besides, there are five warrior flavors (different graphics) for different culture groups, so creating several new graphics would have to be created for what Space One asks.
    Regardless, I don't consider it problem or 'unit discrepancy'. Having two identical warriors in the build query at the begining of the game is rather trivial, and when playing higher difficulty levels, it provides extra defense (on top of the tribal guard) for the computer players. You see, with the way the normal warrior is flagged it will explore and attack, with is not good, for a variety of reasons.

BTW: Updated the biq's, as a couple rotate flags were unassigned and European ship-of-the-line was availabe with wrong tech.

3. WildWeazel

I haven't downloaded it, I'm just offering advice based on what I'm reading. That was basically what I was suggesting :)

4. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Yes, thought as much. The only bad part about the two warriors has nothing to do with the gameplay, but that it gives the false impression of sloppiness.
    So anyway, are you going to download it? Perhaps give it a try tomorrow..

5. WildWeazel

Right now I'm too busy to start playing any more mods, especially testing. When I release the first version of BfNY for testing, I'll try it out.

6. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Fair enough. If there's anything else to go wrong, it'll happen by then.

7. Spacer One

Spacer One Avatar subject to change

ok, having played a bit farther, I have to agree that the warrior thing is very minor...Im industrial now, and Im able to hold my ground...good work, sorry to complain...usually people tend to put more diversity at the begining, glad to see you held out some for later...

8. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Oh yeah! All the way to the industrial so far! That's great! Can you give me some specifics? The year, what techs you're up to? What your strongest rivals are, how the rest of the AI is doing? Hows global expansion and domination going? Problems or criticisms? Any feedback is good feedback, and I'm hungry..

9. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

For anybody who isn't Space One, now you can finally see what all the fuss is about!

10. cHosey

cHosey Chieftain

Hello,
    Upon loading the mod, I get the error message "missing entry in "text\PediaIcons.txt": ICON_BLDG_HOLY_WAR" and the game exits. What do I do to fix this?

11. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Strange. Do you have Conquests 1.22? Is the mod unzipped to the right folder? Because the entry and necessary files are all included, working fine, and I nor anyone else has has the problem.

12. cHosey

cHosey Chieftain

Yes I have conquests 1.22 and I unzipped the mod into my infogrames interactive folder. I then unzipped the smaller add on file into the conquests/scenarios folder. The only thing that seems different to me is that now the infogrames interactive folder has two folders inside it; civ3 folder and the earth2000.onebillion se folder. All the other mods ive installed never created their own folder outside of the civilization3 folder.

13. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Oh, wow, did I do that?
    I put the the mod in an extraneous folder. That's the problem. The zip contains
    Earth2000.Onebillion Se/Civilization 3/Conquests/Scenarios/Earth2.OneBillion/etc etc.
    when it should just be.. Civilization 3/Conquests/Scenarios/Earth2.OneBillion/etc etc.
    I accidentally put the whole package inside an extra, unneccesary folder.
    Just go into Infrogames Interactive, open the "Earth2000.OneBillion Se" folder, cut Civilization 3 in there, and paste it into the Infrogames Interactive folder.
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll change the directions in the first post.

Oh, btw, besides the folders, you will be promted to overwrite a file or two. Don't worry about this, it doesn't alter anything beyond the title screen.

14. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Hi! I received your mail.

I've taken a quick look at the mod (sorry, all my efforts are on Civ4 now, I can't really spend time on feedback) and I can say that this mod is very big. Furthermore, you did all this alone (if I recall correctly, you started modding Rhye's of Civ long before its lastest patches), and this enhances your work even more.

15. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Well at the very least it "is very big"!
    But yes I have been working on it a long time. Finished a little late.
    But Civ4 already? Starting early with XML scripting? Perhaps by this time next year, you'll have your mod completed for Civ4. In the mean time..

16. cHosey

cHosey Chieftain

I managed to get it all working by unzipping it to its own folder, then pasting it.

I dont know if this makes a diff, but it creates a folder called "civilization 3" and the infogrames folder is named "civilization III".

I am playing as the celts atm. What Ive seen so far is very nice.

My game just crashed with the error message "File not found: Art/Units/MyceneanChariot/../CelticChariot/Chariotjavelin.wav"

The year was 30bc, I had just upgraded my swordsmen to berserkers for the 1st time that turn and I had also built the forbidden palace in London. I was researching construction at the time.

17. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

I just noticed the folder thing too. People will just have to unzip then drag the Earth2.OneBillion folder into conquests until such a time as i feel like updating the file. Its huge, and a may need to update some otherparts, so I'm going to hold off a week until I do that.

In the mean time, I undated the smaller Zip under the ReadThis. It will prevent the chariots from crashing.
    That sound file was the last I added, apparently after I zipped up the package, so it worked in my game but not the one I posted.

But I guess that means the AI is using my chariots! That's something I never saw the AI build in the regular game. Also good to hear research rate is just about right. Xounds like you're heades for the Middle Ages around 200 AD. Is Construction the last tech you need to advance out of the Ancient Age? And what difficulty level is it?

By the way Chosey, I think I'm going to try the Celts my first game. They look like 23K one-city cultural victory material..

18. cHosey

cHosey Chieftain

Im playing on custard diff level, hehe. I usually play monarch or emperor, but I forgot to change the difficulty level in my hurry to see if the pasting of the files had worked.

It's 900AD, I have 7 middle age techs and Im researching Education atm. I just made peace with europe after rolling over them with my Gallic hordes. As of now I control land once owned by germany, the vikings, france and england. I have a huge navy of 24 quinqueremes that served me well in my conquests across the sea. It doesnt look like I can upgrade them so Ill break them down for parts and use them to speed my newer naval vessels. Its been really easy going, but I think Im going to stick with it just to get a look at the rest of the game.

Its a great mod u made and eerything has gone smoothly aside from the initial installation and the chariot crash. Ive played Rhye's exclusively the last few months so its nice to play on his map with new techs, units and civs.

PS. This is just a shot in the dark, but if u ever do some more addons, would u consider adding some heavy machinery "workers" (bulldozers, dumptrucks, etc.)that come around during the industrial age that can move more than 1 space at a time and that can terraform the land faster than the two legged worker. Something about having a guy using a shovel to dig a road or an axe to cut a forest in a tile next to a city building cruise missiles doesnt seem right.

19. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

by the way, i would like to add this link to RoC site, but the FTP doesn't work...

20. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Good post. I'm glad to hear everything's working so well (aside from the chariot). Tech research speed is pretty much on track, I'd rather the year be a little later for the tech you are up too, but the difficulty level may have something to do with it. I'm also pleased to see the naval unit producing GW serve so well (unless you think its overpowered?). Naval combat in regular civ is somewhat ignored, and the general consensus from most players is naval unique units are the worst.
    And I wouldn't scuttle your quinqueremes just yet. They'll be upgradable to the galleass soon enough. How did you get so many? You must have made a B-line right forthe Sailing tech as soon as the game started (not a bad idea for england. It is a good thing the quinquereme doesn't eventually upgrade to the ship-of-the-line/man-o-war, or else you could probably pull that off everytime to completely own the oceans)

Re:pS A late industrial faster moving (so 3 moves) worker is a good idea, perhaps make it wheeled so the foot worker will have to be called in to builds roads and things through mountains and jungles. I'm thinking a two man crew: a heavy truck or bulldozer with a guy on back that gets out to lay pipe or direct for working animations like irrigation. The only things are: A) doesn't the railroad already take care of the movement problem (after all, you are ussualy working within your borders, and extending railroads clearing pollution at that. 2) an appropriate graphic would have to be made. C) all modern gov't and the tech electronics already increase worker rate; they are representation of improved technology and machery. But a new graphic would be nice..

Update planned for tonight or tomorrow: Slowing the rate (increasing cost) at which techs are researched and the inclusion of a new unit flavor graphic (or graphics). Nothing big or worth restarting a game over but for anyone just downloading you may want to wait a little bit. I'll let you all (both of you) know when its up.