1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Earth2000.OneBillion Se

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Modpacks' started by Bungus, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Nope! Here's the fix now

Edit: Brief upload problem, works now

2. kapitan

kapitan Chieftain

Hey Bungus, thanx for your great mod,
    i installed civ again after almoast a year of abstinence to play it, and enjoy it a lot ;-) for your statistics: i play germany at easy difficulty (i was too cautious because in this forum it said this mod would be so difficoult, which it isnt). its around 1150 AD and i am researching gunpowder now. i control pretty much all of europe, but now i am getting too much ahead of the other civs (well prob. the low difficulty, i know...) until about the first century AD i had to take the competition of greece and rome seriously, and the conquest of britain proved more difficult than i expected, so the game should be challanging at a higher difficulty...
    unfortunately i have a problem: (not sure if it has anything to do with your mod, though, as it is the only one i played after installing):

whenever a city goes into disorder, the game crashes. it says:

"Art\Animations\Disorder\. \Art\Animations\Disorder\DisorderDefault.flc" cannot be found
    i found several DisorderDefault.flc in the infogames folder, but i dont know the civ folder structure well enough to know if they are at the right places ...
    i dont know why the "Art\Animations\Disorder" part is repeated, or what the "\. \" part means ...
    can you help me?

3. WildWeazel

WildWeazel -- Turns to Completion

btw Bungus, what is the ".OneBillion" for anyway?

4. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

I installed the new patch and went back to my game - no problem.

The pollution annoys me, but then again I was never a fan of it - normally I'd tweak certain improvements to help reduce or negate pollution.

Poor Korea... still with that one city - I blockaded them in... perhaps I should end their misery. Hehe.

5. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

ouch - game just hit another snag:

Load Error
    FILE NOT FOUND
    "Art\Units\SCIENCE! MODERN ERA\SCIENCE! MODERN ERA.INI"

Select Mission Type

sigh... just as half the world decided to gang up on me - just sent a some tanks and infantry to the shores of england, and another fleet off the coast of israel (babylon, england, egypt are all allied against me - got france and russia to help me out, or at least not be against me). took memphis, ready to send more tanks off of suez down to thebes. for some reason, in getting people to ally with many, many requested communications with japan. not quite sure what the big deal is, maybe they're just in the mood for some good sushi. heh.

in the meantime, i've colonized most of the us (i took the americans out of the game initially - cities in ny, boston, washington dc, chicago, miami, houston, dallas, seattle, sf, la, minneapolis, detroit, atlanta, phoenix, salt lake city, and sioux falls (ironically exactly where the sioux made their last stand in the game yet also in its real location relative to real life) but because of the marshland, i can't build new orleans, also many of my american cities, such as phoenix and salt lake city will prob. never grow past size 1 or 2, with such limited growth potential, surrounded by desert and hills. hopefully will expand into canada soon, and started colonization of australia (just founded sydney). built the suez canal and panama canal (the cities of suez and panama city) which really helped speed up the deployment of troops around the world.

6. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Do you have Conquests 1.22? It cannot be a problem withthe mod itself, as it doesn't change anything in the "Animations" folder. It strictly uses the one's from standard Civ3. But I looking at the PtW folder, it appears the expansions have updated "Art\animations\disorder" folder. Maybe as part of a patch. So check to see you have 1.22, if so try a normal game and see if you get the same error. As for the "\. \" part, are you sure it wasn't "\..\"?

RE: Pollution. Everybody seems to hate the pollution aspect. I'd like to leave it in, but I thought about reducing it, and raising the maintenance of pollution producing improvements to offset the reduction in penalty

@dc82: I'm taking a look at the error you recieved. That's a science great leader giving you problems.

Well, it started out as .0, then .1 after a couple changes, then .2, then after that my arithmetic failed me and after some months I figured it was probably somewhere around the .onebillion mark.

7. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Ok, I've corrected the modern SCIENCE! great leader and it's in the patch on the first page. Alternatively, if you downloaded the patch (E2K.OB_PATCH_9-15.zip) last night you can just download the Science GL fix here (2 K).

By the way, its come to my attention that some of you are not downloading the Readme. The proper authorities have been notified.

Attached Files:

8. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Japan's an island, and it has the potential to develope into an advanced civ, so its likely alot of european civs haven't met them and would like to, if only for the sushi, video games, and pokemon.
    When you say you took the americans out of the game, do you mean you chose to start with none of the american civs, or you just steamrolled over them while they were still pondering the subtle intricacies of a sharp stick?
    And canal cities in panama and the suez come in very handy I'd imagine. Definately worth a war or at least a settler.

On other note, what kind of load times are you experiencing? My computer's made out of whale bones and tin-foil, so it takes its sweet ass time in between turns. If the same thing is happening to others, I may reduce the number of barbs or dumb down the barbarians to speed thing up a bit. I might try a few others things too.

9. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Yeah, Japan's doing pretty well, compared to other games where they barely get more than one city rolled out across Honshu. In this game they settled across Honshu and Hokkaido, although Shikoku and Kyushu remain unsettled (which is understandable since they're only a couple of island tiles). It's kind of funny for the computer civs to demand communications for civs they technically "don't know" about.

I took the Americans out of the game from the beginning (Being American, I rather "build" America myself than fight against them. Somehow the Native Americans stayed rather undeveloped so it was relatively easy to colonize North America - although the Sioux had raided and burnt down Dallas. Rebuilt it again with settlers from Washington, D.C. (I guess there was legislation passed to encourage settlers to move into the Texan frontier).

Panama City and Suez are definitely vital points in the game - Knowing Earth history (heh), I knew to dispatch settlers as soon as I could - I was surprised that I was able to establish the Suez Canal - thought the land would have been taken - somehow, the two civs around - Egypt and Babylon had nearby cities, but never expanded their culture enough to lay claim to the area I needed. With Panama, I had to bring a worker and wait 20 turns for him to clear the forest so I could build the canal (I guess like real life!).

The load times... At first I was kinda annoyed at how long I had to wait in the beginning of the game - normally the first few turns, there's barely any noticable waiting time - but as it went on, I didn't notice any real increase in load times, which was pretty good. It almost seemed as if it loaded faster later in the game.

10. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Oh and speaking of dumb barbarians, there's one group that's just hovering in the Gobi desert, outside of Beijing. But it's just been hanging there, too afraid to do anything. <<shrug>>

11. Bosh

Bosh Chieftain

Great modpack Bungus.

I just have some small problems: after i installed the latest patch 9-15 and started a new game i got the following message: file not found "Art\civilopedia\icons\units\Quetcalcoatshipsmall.pcx" and the same error on Acaliship and Hardyswordsman!

12. cHosey

cHosey Chieftain

There's a hill a couple of tiles south of the jungle that will also allow your city to server as a canal. Just thought u might like to know for future reference.

13. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Hi there, Bosh, glad you like it.
    Those units that are making trouble were Aalgo's and Utahjazz's latest, and I just added them last night. Guess I forgot to test the civpedia icons in game. Damn. Here's the fix for those three units (18 K). Its also now corrected in the patch (E2K.OB_PATCH_9-16.zip).

Attached Files:

14. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

If I was riding around on a horse with a stick and every one else was in modern times with tanks and machine guns, I think I'd hide in the gobi desert too. Isn't that what the people living in Mongolia are doing right now? probably afraid the chinese are still angry at them over the whole pan-asian conquest thing..

The reason the time in between turns starts off fairly slow (first turn is always the slowest for all games, because every civ builds a city and the computer must make calculations as to cultural influence, terrain, etc.) but then doesn't get much longer as ages progress is most likely a result of the large number of barbarians. As time goes on, they are killed off, but replaced by more "civilized" units, so I suppose the effect is loading times stay the pretty much constant. Perhaps barbarians use up more processing time than civilizations' units. Sounds like most everybody is playing with a decent rig, but my PC's processor has about 2 horsepower. That is, as much mental computing power as a couple of horses, and not the talking kind. So I'm going to do some tweaking and make a low-carb version of the mod for us poor unfortunate souls who have yet to break the giga-htz barrier.

15. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Haha, well I'm trying to build as accurate as I can (so when I was talking about my cities before, they're placed to their corresponding sites in the real world - I also rename enemy cities I capture to the real world location). So yeah, I built Panama City towards the end, near South America.

In the meantime, just random gameplay update, half the world got caught in the war, which was started when the English snuck attack me. Even though I wasn't able to convince many civs to join my cause, the few civs that I did convince to fight with me got other civs to join along.

Despite another large force launched by the English on Taiwan, I was able to fend off most of the fleet and maintained control of the island. In response though, I sent a relatively large force and slowly took over the British Isles, starting from the south to north.

Sandwiched between the Egyptians and Babylonians, Suez came under seige. However, I had heavily fortified the city, being that it was such an important strategic location, that their attacks were unsuccessful. After a rather long battle, my reach extended from the southern Nile valley up the Jordan, and around the Tigris, with Baghdad as the crown piece. The Babylonian leaders, however, escaped the capital and set up camp near the eastern edge of Kazakstan.

The Greeks, which had expanded their kingdom north to present day Ukraine and Austria, began to lose their territory, as the Romans joined the Chinese-French-German-Ethiopian alliance. Capturing the Pyramids (in Athens) was definitely a great prize, as every city from Europe to Asia to Africa (I guess since they're all directly connected, it counts as the same continent), received a free granary. Though, Sparta was destroyed from the Greek War - it was quickly rebuilt.

Being somewhat lucky, I've been able to establish myself thoughout the continental US (finally finished the trans-continental railroad), and southern Canada, Eastern China, India (south of the Ganges), Western Australia, and now the Eastern Mediterranean area (exluding Turkey).

Can't wait to see how it ends!

16. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

I'd venture to guess it will end with a domination victory, at that rate. Sounds like you made quite an empire for yourself. A Chinese America?
    Oh, and speaking of America, you mentioned you didn't play with them in the game. Actually, America isn't even included in E2K. Not that America doesn't rule, but I always thought it a bit strange to sail across the atlantic in 1400 AD and find Abe Lincoln planting some corn and building a mine. So its just native civs now, like the sioux and iroquis, which as you noticed, advance very slowly so they're still running around in loin clothes by the time the other civs get there. On the higher difficulties, though they may not be very advanced, they can still be a major threat to early colonization, so the fact that they are civs and not just barbarians gives you the opportunity to trade and make alliances, say, against the French or English..
    Haven't heard you mention anything about the Mongols though. I assume that as your right next door that you gave them a walloping early on, before they got keshiks.

17. dc82

dc82 Chieftain

Haha, perhaps that's why - I prob. didn't even notice that the Americans weren't included, since I don't like playing against them.

The Sioux were especially annoying, raiding my western frontier cities and just being an obstacle to growth - it's actually harder to expand in the US, with so many deserts, hills, and mountains (especially around the Rockies). I think you should change that marsh tile at the mouth of the Mississipi (on the north end) to grassland or flood plain so that New Orleans could be built. In fact, it'd be nice to give engineers the ability to clear marsh and jungle - perhaps instead of getting rid of it, offer a large time for such terraforming practices - it's annoying to try to develop an area enveloped with non-friendly land. Also perhaps to allow later civs to build on desert, marsh, etc. as well would be a nice addition, although how to do it well is another question.

I'm surprised at how well developed Europe is - despite its high concentration of civs - a large crowd - the civs were all able to stay ahead of most of the world and maintain technological dominance.

18. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Keep in mind you were colonizing north america from the west; it would be much easier going from the east. The rockies are supposed to make colonization difficult for pacific coming civs like China. The US and its neighbors are after all, of European descent.
    There is one plains surrounded by marshland for New Orleans, and a forest for Houston. I'll tinker with Houston's area, maybe get rid of the marsh and the forest (so it doesn't have to be cleared), making the potential-city more productive.
    Workers can clear wetlands, available at Ecology. And, it does take a long time.
    Settlers will never be allowed to build on desert, tundra, or jungle. One reason is realism: you won't find a city in the saharah or in the center of brazilian rainforest. Another is gameplay: the AI would build over the artic, changing it from wilderness to a hodgepodge of 1 population city states. Lastly, it would double the number of cities, increasing load times. One of the reasons the late game doesn't move so slow is because of the restrictions on settling. In the default Civ3C game, its churn out settlers and constantly expand, or be left behind and over-run. That's not a good game mechanic. Inhospitable terrain and expensive settlers means players have to be more choosey about where to place cities, adding a more strategic element.

19. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I'm replying here because I haven't space in the PM box.

As far as I've seen, your barbarians are OK. Try to remove some, but they are placed more or less like mine.
    Probably a part of the reason is that your map is slightly larger.
    I don't think speed is affected by the number of graphics added. At least, it shouldn't affect speed between turns. It's probably related to the game setup, save and load instead.
    Do you have set any unit as immobile forgetting to untag explore action? That could be one reason.

Besides this, my only advice is to read RoCX readme. It contains a "speed-related rule changes" chapter.

20. Bungus

Bungus Chieftain

Yesterday I removed some barbs; I was able to dispose of about half while still keeping the barbarian wall around the Urals to prevent expansion and maintian good number of tribes in the americas to hinder colonization. I? played it, and surprisingly time between turns was about half as long as before
    I don't think the map size should play too much of a factor, because most of that extra size is water. It wouldn't make any sense for the computer to go calcualting extra movement possibilities through through ocean tiles when in the early game ocean movement is impossible (and there are so few naval units).
    And my (land) immobiles are all tagged with only fort., skip turn, wait, and disband.
    Rule changes like unsettlable terrain don't really have much of an effect until the middle ages. They're ideal as they are now. dc82 said things may have actually gotten slighty faster in the game progressed.
    I think we've found the smoking gun. Definately the barbarians. Now we have twice the reason to kill them!
    Btw, thanks for taking a look at the biq, Rhye.