1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Elder Scrolls V: Oblivion Part 2?

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by GoodGame, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

You can block arrows and spells with held or telekinesis'd items, I believe.

2. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

This is kind of nit-picky, but I hope they add a bit of spice to the enchanting system. I think it would be great if they get a little more creative - if you enchant using a rat soul, for example, the item might take on certain qualities that bring to mind the rat that gave its soul to make the item magical. Likewise for an ogre, for example - maybe enchanting a robe with an ogre soul would make the robe start to look a little like ogre skin, or turn it that sickly blue-grey ogre color.

3. Double A

For rat, maybe a slight sneak boost, and for ogre, a slight blunt or str boost.

4. serek000

serek000 Chieftain

Yep, something of that sort. The boost could get more noticeable with each level in enchanting (or probably every five or so levels of enchanting).

5. Double A

I don't think 10 to 11 should have much of an effect. 10 to 15 or 10 to 20 sounds a lot more sensible.

6. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

BTW shouldn't the title of the thread be changed? I mean now that we know it's "Skyrim" AND we seem to use this thread to talk about "skyrim"...

7. Double A

You can change CFC thread names?

8. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

A mod has to.

9. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I've never heard of that :confused:

10. Double A

Not sure if it's true, but it would make sense. I haven't played Oblivion in forever.

11. Clement

Clement Layman

So far i'm cool with everything i've heard, the cascading menu's are fine, direction pad enabled and consolised but not a problem, except for one thing, the "favourites list" where you put your most used items like spells and weapons, problem is it is in alphabetical order and the items cannot be arranged in any other way.

So in the heat of a battle how am i supposed to scroll through all my favourite items to find the weapon/spell i need quickly if i can't arrange them myself? i don't want to be needing a sword/spell and having to scroll through a whole load of stuff each time, i don't know i'd have to see that "browser-like" system for myself before i can say whether its good or not, but i don't like the way it is described.

I hope its not a case of optimisation being sacrificed for slower but easier accessibility.

12. Double A

When you enchant something you know you will be using a lot, you can always call it the AAAAAAAAwesoem sword

13. Clement

Clement Layman

Assuming we can name things of course, what i don't understand is why that browser list has to be strictly alphabetical order only :dunno:

14. Double A

In Morrowind and Oblivion you got to name all the crap you enchanted.

15. Clement

Clement Layman

Well considering that apparently spell creating is out, i wouldnt count on anything being in Skyrim just because a previous game had it until its confirmed, even something as simple as naming items, we all know what the dreaded "streamlining" is like, essential stuff ----> out the window.

16. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I guess that's why they brought back enchanting...:rolleyes:

'Streamlined' is not a bad adjective people!

I did read in an interview with Todd, that their design goal began by asking themselves what Apple would do if it were designing the interface.

17. Clement

Clement Layman

I'l have to respectfully agree to disagree with you.

I can only speak from a personal standpoint, but i have to say that i have yet to be satisfied by any game that promised "streamlining" during its production phase, not only have i always been left disappointed by a "streamlined" game but i've also been left wondering "why was so much taken away?" it's happened far too often to different series i used to like for that word to not have a negative effect on me when i see it, just my subjective opinion of course.

18. Double A

He's right, you know.

It's a past-tense verb.

While that's probably so the game doesn't get broken... wasn't that the point of it in the first place?

If I want to summon a Daedra Lord for 2 minutes, I'm gonna summon one, dagnabbit!

19. Clement

Clement Layman

I'm afraid my poor education has shown up here, i don't know what an adjective is.

I do know what i mean though, that the word "streamlining" shakes my confidence in any game with which it is associated.

Anyway, it's just a personal opinion so ignore me, this thread is about Skyrim after all.

20. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Dictionary... it is an adjective but can also be used as a past-tense verb. So, I was right.

VERB: He streamlined the game.
    ADJ: The streamlined game is more fun than an overly complex one.

... And yet you will still buy and play the game :D

Other words that come to mind that I think are relevant to this exchange: superfluous, clunky, half-baked, redundant, crunchy, grind, unnecessary, etc.