1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I'd just like a Civ that is very good at Science victory. Preferably without needing to conquer right now since the AI is very bad at going to war ATM.

2. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

It would have been insane with British Museums.

Unless they originally planned her to go with British Museums and then realized that would be too strong. I'm curious how the resource system was created. I could see the process being Eleanor-->Needing to change England-->Coming up with industry. Though, of course, it would make more sense if it came out of the Global Warming mechanic.

Kmart_Elvis, Hawke9 and CivLuvah like this.
  3. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

Love the ability... but when actually playing as her it is not going to feel very different until later in the game and even then I'm afraid the loyalty mechanic may not even really come into play most games... I think a unique unit would have gone a long way towards making her feel different when leading either france/england. Wouldn't need to be a particularly strong unit, maybe a hard-build unit like redcoats/ guard imperiale but medieval themed of course. I could be wrong tho and she'll turn out to be a great builder civ leader. Nevertheless, excellent job Firaxis.

Cedbird77, blackcatatonic and Kibikus like this.
  4. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Warlord

So how will we counter Eleanor's loyalty from GW? Either through domination or stealing GWs. It's gonna be very difficult for anyone in Dark Ages.

Edit: Or, have a cultural alliance with her.

5. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

There's Scotland with science from happiness, and Arabia with science from religion, just as a couple of examples. There's definitely more design space to be explored.

6. NukingGandhi

NukingGandhi Chieftain

Also its kind of crazy but really cool that everyone from around the world is just talking so much that I have to reload the page every 10 seconds or less, but thats the wonder of the internet.

CivLuvah likes this.
  7. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Chieftain

She's alright. The fact she can be used as a leader for two different civs is interesting, but I'm just not a fan of alternate leaders in general. According to interviews given for Civ V, the leader screens take the most work and the other bonuses and units take less. If that's still the case for Civ VI, why would they go through the trouble to make an entirely new leader screen to attach just one new bonus to it? Doesn't make sense to me. It'd add a lot more if the alternate leaders were just their own unique civ with additional traits, bonuses and stuff.

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

Why foreign continents? That's Victoria's bonus, right?

Edit:
    Ah, and the Royal Dockyard gets extra gold.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

her skin is too dark, they need to lighten it.

... I'm kidding. Firaxis was always so afraid of whitewashing their games they make everyone darker.

Jewman likes this.
  10. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

Honestly though, I wouldn't have imagined her to have a science bonus since I can't find anything that she did that was "science-worthy". I was expecting a unique unit (toubradour).

Leathaface and Jkchart like this.
  11. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

Pray that Peter is also in the game.

King William I and CivLuvah like this.
  12. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I like French Eleanor better - both in terms of her model and ability synergy.

13. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

I'm killing her as soon as I see her on the map.

14. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

I like Civs like Korea because they can provide competition when i'm going for victory. I admit that Korea isn't the most exciting to play as, but Seondeok can make for a tough opponent.

15. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Why did everyone want a science focus? It would be ridiculous for this leader. Europe wasn't exactly leading the world in science during this time.

16. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Her abilities synergize really well with England. Royal Navy Dockyards already provide +4 loyalty pressure for England, with Eleanor's ability their pressure will be even more powerful!

The caveat is that you'll need a RND *and* a Theatre Square (or a wonder like Apadana or Hermitage) to make it work.

17. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

I think an interesting late game strategy with Eleanor would be to use Reyna's ability to purchase districts with gold by settling a border city, then moving Reyna there and once she settles, buying a theater district and buying an amphitheater and museum and then moving some GW. It would require a lot of gold to do quickly so you might want to just rush the district and build the amphitheater with production. But in a just a few turns, you could cause a pretty massive change in loyalty that could flip a neighboring city.

Kmart_Elvis and Jewman like this.
  18. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

@Eagle Pursuit what do you think?

Eagle Pursuit likes this.
  19. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Can I just say how much I love Eleanor's "No No" at 1:49.

20. Benzombie

Benzombie Chieftain

I wonder if that's a major reason they changed England's UA. Still, been looking forward to her the most.

Hawke9 likes this.