1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Eleanor of Aquitaine Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Bosque

Bosque Chieftain

No, I will prefer to play against Eleanor in my first GS game, so that I can watch all of her animations in various moods. :love:

2. Onii-chan

Onii-chan Chieftain

Well if there's anything that's imbalanced it's usually science civs though lol. Gameplay-wise they tend to be pretty boring: you just get ahead in science and from there you can do whatever you want and win since technologies are the key to almost everything. There's a reason civs like Babylon and Korea were amongst the most OP ones in Civ V. So idk unless there's a good historical reason to make leaders science-oriented I'd prefer to avoid those kinds of leaders. It's just not very fun from a gameplay perspective

3. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

So how much great works does an average border city have around mid-game? 2 writing + 3 art = 5 works? Would -5 loyalty make any difference? I don't know. If you build Hermitage, maaybe 9 works. If you're in a Golden Age and they're in a Dark, perhaps. But then you can probably already flip them.
    Plus, I don't know if I want to get crappy AI cities with bad layout mid- to lategame.

Kataklysm and Meluhhan like this.
  4. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

WotW also gives +2 yields to buildings that can be Powered

5. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Loyalty reductions stack. Throw in some governors, religion, pillaging, and cards to the mix.

Kmart_Elvis, CPWimmer and Bosque like this.
  6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So she is rubbish then
    convert a city or two if you want to play that long.

7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

I disagree. She's very much a culture "civ". She doesn't get bonuses to get great works, so you want to build a few theatre squares to get those and have storing space. To make the most out of her ability, you'll build Theatre Squares in border cities later on. So you'll either swim in culture & tourism or you choose ignore the leader bonus.

8. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

Someone's jealous of the alternate leader to her empire.

9. Jewman

Jewman Chieftain

Yeah if the AI actually settled in the best spots it might actually be a semi-viable strategy as Eleanor to go hard for Apadana and Great Library (doubtful I know) and settle in your own little bubble instead of settling aggressively to carve out a larger empire. That way your capital would be exposed to forward settling and you would flip those cities by medieval. Does not seem worth it, but will be interesting to see how much and how quickly she can apply pressure to neighboring civs.

RohirrimElf likes this.
  10. Ashandalar

Ashandalar Chieftain

Workshop of the World isn't just extra strategic resources: "Buildings that provide additional yields when powered receive +2 of that yield."

11. Kibikus

Kibikus Chieftain

Wait, how do pillaging and policy cards reduce loyalty?

12. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Warlord

A much cheaper way would be to use builders to chop your way to a faster theater district and then just buy an amphitheater and museum with gold. Not quite as a fast but a lot cheaper and could still be quite effective, especially if you combine it with Amani with the emissary ability.

Kmart_Elvis and Jewman like this.
  13. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

When I think of culture civ I think of a civilization that has direct bonuses to generating culture and GWAMs.

She gets benefits to getting great works but they are about empire expansion.

It's like Phoenicia really. You get a lot of empire expansion mechanics that enable other victory conditions. I wouldn't call Phoenicia a science civilization because she gets easy Free Inquiries with dozens of Cothons by classical.

leandrombraz likes this.
  14. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

Oh I watched this on my phone first and thought it was -3 loyalty per great work. -1 loyalty isn't going to have a huge effect.

15. cosmicmangobear

cosmicmangobear Chieftain

I couldn’t stop watching that opening animation! FANTASTIC Character design aside (seriously, looks like she walked straight out of a Disney-Pixar movie), the ability is even better than I expected it to be. Versatile leaders are such a great idea, if when the third expansion or more DLC comes out, I hope they do this for Kublai Khan (Mongolia/China).

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    WorldWarIV, Hawke9 and CivLuvah like this.
  16. Leathaface

Leathaface Warlord

That's impressive. So a Research Lab would get +2 Science (compared to other Civs) if it is powered, nice.

17. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Chieftain

I don't think its that much better for France than for England.

Sure France gets the ability to build more wonders and could house more great works, but that is going to be back in their core cities and I don't see that being a significant loyalty pressure center. It does make it easier to sit back as it makes it that much harder to forward settle you as France. However, with England you can be more aggressive with it as (at least when I play England) colonial cities tend to be compete with other civs fringe cities as well, so if you get a great work or two into one of these you can use it to stabilize your colony and keep from flipping and even flip anyone that forward settles your more vulnerable cities.

I think it is a great generalized ability and both civs will be able to make use of it to protect what is more important to them, France's core (wonder production) and England's colonies.

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

She's not English, not Scottish, hell she is not even Welsh.
    Seriously, theaters are not the easiest to start with but she is USELESS unless you build theaters at the right place... basically its worse, you need gold to buy them in fast.

Nice as in as nice as a 3 legged hamster.
    I said this a long time ago, it is +2 at a time your cities are producing +30
    A single friggin British museum gave you +54 tourism

cheers Firaxis

Siptah likes this.
  19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

And factories are more powerful as well

Leathaface likes this.
  20. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Sorry, but the only reply I can make to this (and especially the ending of your post) is: what have you been smoking today?