Embaixada da Kazakhstan

Bah, I hate the forums going down. Meant to post this six hours ago.

Gah. I guess we're agreeing to the first part? It's in my draft, and no one's spoken up to say "god, no, what are you crazy?", anyway. I really haven't the foggiest clue how to manage arranging everything in numbered paragraphs and all the niceties, so any help with that would be welcome. Otherwise, I'll be back online for a little while tomorrow morning my time to take a crack at it before I have to click end turn.

Here's the basic agreement, as I understand it (no need for critique of the language unless you have suggestions for how best to put it; this is just meant to summarize the ideas):

Open Borders
-- effective immediately on our side
-- effective on their side at their discretion, but not later than turn 50. We agree not to enter their territory with any unit, by any means, prior to obtaining written permission.

Non-aggression pact
-- effective immediately, to last until 1 AD (turn 115)
-- up for renewal at turn 95
-- some sort of language that our intention is for extended cooperation, yadda yadda

Research and Technology Trading
-- immediate beeline of alphabet for kazakhstan and monarchy for us, with the only exceptions being for techs required to deal with emergencies or meet urgent local needs. Local needs do not include obtaining a religion or increasing trade route yield. [ meant to refer to polytheism and sailing -- can we get them to agree to this? ]
-- research carried out at best possible speed, with no stockpiling of cash beyond that reasonably needed to deal with adverse events
-- upon completion of both beelines, immediate trade of related techs (writing, ah, hunting, alphabet/priesthood, med, myst)
-- understanding that tech trading will continue beyond that time, but will need to be negotiated on an item-by-item basis
-- understanding that cooperative spirit is more important in such an alliance than strict adherence to minute advantage

Exploration
-- both teams will attempt to find a third team to include in our alliance

Resources
-- [provolution mentioned this as a possibility, but i'm not sure how to work it in. suggestions? maybe just that the agreement includes the possibility of future negotiations on this subject?]

Religion
-- team kazakhstan gets priority to research CoL ahead of us

And should I still send some version of the above draft ahead of time, stating that the formal proposal will follow?

:lol: Apparently I am not the only one enjoying triple post when the forum is down...

You seem to have covered pretty much everything :goodjob:

Maybe also Oracle: to be negotiated separately -- they mentioned it, but there's no way to put anything in writing yet.

Since I expect people will be watching this thread: check out the post-turn update to the played turns thread. Had a bit of good luck. And no, I'm not referring to barbs.

Sombra is the holy city. It just spread to Ohlo on the very first opportunity. Will be nice for getting to size 6 shortly, though we do need quite a bit of food first.

I wrote up a draft for the formal treaty based on Renata's list:

The CavKaz Treaty

§1. Peace and Non-Aggression

* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to take no hostile action of any kind towards the other people.
* This state of peace and non-aggression will last indefinitely, and can only be cancelled by written notice 20 turns in advance.
* Such notice to cancel the state of assured peace can not be given before the year 1 AD (turn 115).

§2. Open Borders
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to open borders with each other, to allow the free passage of units and merchants alike.
* This state of Open Borders will be effective immediately, on both sides, from the signature of this treaty.
* Upon the completion of Writing by either people, this will be handled via a formal Open Borders agreement. Until that time, it will be handled through a phony state of war.

§3. Mutual Technological Advancement
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to cooperate on the advancement of knowledge to get to Alphabet and Monarchy as soon as possible.
* Both peoples agree to adhere to the attached advancement plan as close as possible.
* Both peoples agree to carry out research at the highest sustainable speed, with no stockpiling of gold beyond that reasonably needed to deal with adverse events.
* Exceptions to the advancement plan may be given in a state of emergency, or in the case of an urgent domestic need.
* If either people wishes to invoke such an exception, it must notify the other people of its intent and reasons for the deviation.
* Upon completion of the respective beelines, the related technologies will be immediately traded to the other people.
* Both peoples agree that mutual technological advancement will continue beyond the completion of the immediate goals, but that plans for the future are to be negotiated at later points, as addendums to this treaty.
* Both peoples agree that a cooperative spirit is more important in such an alliance than strict adherence to minute advantage to the own team.

§4. Resources
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree that in the case that either team has a spare resource to trade, they will first try to negotiate a trade with the other people of this treaty. Only if no such deal is possible will the people consider trading that resource to a third people.

§5. Religion and Oracle
* The people of the Cavaleiros recognize the wishes and needs of the people of Kazakhstan for a religion, and will agree to let Kazakhstan have priority for researching any technology that leads to a religion, after the completion of the inital advancement plan.
* Both peoples recognize that if either team builds the Oracle, to be negotiated at a later point, then the free technology received will be shared with the other people, against a reasonable compensation for the investment of hammers (presumably a smaller research load during that period).

§6. Extension
* Both peoples agree that the intent is to find and include a third civilized people with which to share technological advancement, and agree to work actively towards finding such a people.
* The exact terms of the cooperation with this third people will be negotiated when relevant, and the contents of this documents are not to be seen as binding in any way towards this third people.

I left out anything about resources since I didn't know what to write. Any suggestions for improvements?

* If either side have spare resources they must first find out if it is possible to negotiate a deal with the other side, only if no such a deal is possible may either trade away resources to other parties.

Obviously this goes both if the other team neither have any spare resources to offer or no spare resources of interest to offer(though if people know how to manage health / happy cap there should be very few circumstances where extra resources are not needed...

Still stuck on the workboat thing, as they specifically mentioned turn 50. I'd hate for them to hold up the tech agreement just so that part is moot.

I believe the mention of turn 50 was only as an estimate on when the agreement may be concluded, what he said was "you may well pass our waters by turn 50". Obviously we hope for that to be earlier. So I hesitate to include any such thing.

I've updated the draft with (a slight rewrite of) oyzar's suggestion. I'll see if I can extend the introductory text Renata provided so we make our thoughts clear regarding Polytheism in particular.

Ok, that makes sense.

Mars started talking to me and i couldn't help but respond:

Spoiler :
Mars sier:
congrats on Buddhism
oyzar sier:
are you guys waiting for us now or are you voting?
Mars sier:
we are waiting for Niklas updated draft
oyzar sier:
why?
oyzar sier:
there won't be any functional difference to it...
Mars sier:
this is not a singleplayer game remember
Mars sier:
people need to agree internally
Mars sier:
and we got some additions to the agreement we want to work in as well
oyzar sier:
do you guys really think that if you go for poly you will get it? and you can just get budhism from us somewhere along the way anyways(and there is always later religions anyways if you really want a holy city)...
Mars sier:
poly is one of many topics we discuss
oyzar sier:
what other topics do you discuss then?
Mars sier:
sailing is one
oyzar sier:
if you don't share it with us it'll be incredibly hard to negotiate on it...
Mars sier:
we are beginning to share now
Mars sier:
the research areas
oyzar sier:
as i already said earlier getting sailing from a 3rd party would certainly be an option...
Mars sier:
and your considered approach to oracle came up
Mars sier:
but, we may need mysticism for our cultural expansion, so that is out
oyzar sier:
the game doesn't stop after alpha / monarchy you know... you guys can easily go for something like col while we go something like sailing -> math no?
oyzar sier:
myst isn't terrible expensive anyways, and i do understand if you need it for defense
Mars sier:
yeah, good you understand
Mars sier:
we are wary of overselling you see
oyzar sier:
overselling??
Mars sier:
sailing also has the advantage that we can get gold trades as well as resources trades quickly
oyzar sier:
how can you be vary of overselling if we are going for oracle?
oyzar sier:
gold trades?
oyzar sier:
you need currency for that you know
Mars sier:
I think having mysticism in the package was a bit overselling
oyzar sier:
well having myst in the pacage does save quite a lot of beakers
Mars sier:
it is also handling the land
oyzar sier:
sure
Mars sier:
its not a game in the vacuum
Mars sier:
but we agree that we may need this trade sooner rather than later
Mars sier:
so we do not talk about a long detour
oyzar sier:
basic techs are probably the most important in the game, so delaying them for long is probably not a good idea in any case but the more of them you can trade for the more beakers you save...
oyzar sier:
poly/sailing/myst/mono for example would be quite some detour though
Mars sier:
i know that
Mars sier:
but some detour is wise
Mars sier:
sailing is also good for you
Mars sier:
with all the capital water tiles
Mars sier:
lighthouse, Moai Statues etc
oyzar sier:
how would us researching sailing before monarchy help you guys?
Mars sier:
water trades
Mars sier:
resource trading would be easier
oyzar sier:
building moai statues before monarchy(or sufficient happiness, but monarchy often comes first) seems rather silly...
oyzar sier:
do you have any spare resources?
Mars sier:
our growth suggests we got plenty of food...
oyzar sier:
traiding health resources is useless before monarchy anyways, and getting spare happiness reources can be troublesome at this stage in the game
Mars sier:
anyhow, we have an internal discussion now, and the detour will be short, we talk about 1-2 smaller techs
oyzar sier:
sure lighthouse is nice, but it isn't worth delaying monarchy(for either of our teams) for, and hence it should probably be a) the first tech one of us research after alpha / monarchy respectivly or b) a tech we trade for from a 3rd party, no?
oyzar sier:
1-2 smaller techs is not a small detour
oyzar sier:
(if you mean in addition to myst which i assume you are researching now)
Mars sier:
myst barely costs any, we both know that
Mars sier:
so that is not even a tech worth mentioning
oyzar sier:
it cost 74 beakers, hardly nothing, it doesn't have any prereqs either...
oyzar sier:
it is 148 beakers gone just there
Mars sier:
not that simple
Mars sier:
it is also about land development
Mars sier:
so its not in a vacuum
oyzar sier:
not to mention the snowball effects of getting other techs later(though the snowball effect of getting myst later might be bigger than the other snowball effect)
oyzar sier:
yes i know
Mars sier:
in the real equation, it is a different outcome
oyzar sier:
what i am saying that if you plan any OTHER techs than myst, you should have said so 5 days ago already...
oyzar sier:
but whatever
oyzar sier:
i am sure we'll be able to work something out
Mars sier:
hey dude, we have different wings inside our team
Mars sier:
which caused some stir in the outset
oyzar sier:
it is not like we can stop you from researching both sailing and poly and myst and mono before writing, though it would probably cost us a couple K beakers...
oyzar sier:
um masonery not myst
oyzar sier:

Mars sier:
we will not let it go out of hand
Mars sier:
most likely, besides myst, we may look into one more tech for each side
Mars sier:
and these should be different
oyzar sier:
but it would be nice to tell us what you plan(though i do understand that even your plans are not laid out clearly 30 turns in advance due to the pace of play....)
Mars sier:
and I know you would like AH and hunting as well, short term
Mars sier:
we are planning for writing-alphabet, but would like to have another tech in before
oyzar sier:
AH is 300 beakers lost, i would perfer not to lose that many beakers if we didn't have to, which is why we are pushing for getting fastest possible alpha / monarchy ...
oyzar sier:
which tech?
Mars sier:
that is in the talks
Mars sier:
what tech to choose
oyzar sier:
huh??
Mars sier:
people want different things
oyzar sier:
why would you want to delay writing just because you can? O_o
oyzar sier:
how can you say you are planning an extra tech before writing -> alpha if you haven't even decide what you want!
Mars sier:
we havent decided, but thats because we are discussing
Mars sier:
please respect that its a forum game
Mars sier:
its not a dictatorship
Mars sier:
it was hard enough to secure the trade
oyzar sier:
i am not saying it should be a dictatorship lol
oyzar sier:
we don't have one person making any decisions on our team either...
oyzar sier:
i am just saying it shouldn't be too hard to work out what you want even in a team...
Mars sier:
the only delay we talk about is the time for the vote, which will be ready as soon as both sides representatives got a basic treaty agreed on, as well as the time up to the concluded negotiations
Mars sier:
so its not that bad
Mars sier:
there will be a passage for Sao Gabriel, and there will be a tech trade and a long NAP
oyzar sier:
if you are willing to pay 500 beakers to get early poly i could understand that if you had a reason for it for example
Mars sier:
'yes, we consider poly for early religion, who wouldnt
Mars sier:
we are a philosophical nation
oyzar sier:
well if the situations were reversed i would clearly state in out discussion that i don't think poly is a VIABLE alternative not only is it the chance of losing it to some other team but it is also the fact that it is completly useless as a tech by itself(it doesn't do anything unlike med which gives access to monastaries), and we could got a religion from the other team if we wanted the benefit
oyzar sier:
and of course there are always later religions as well
oyzar sier:
not to mention that i am not willing to pay 500 beakers just for early religion
oyzar sier:
(which is about the cost of col fyi)
oyzar sier:
523 for col
oyzar sier:
149 for AH (298)
oyzar sier:
149 for poly
oyzar sier:
447 total
oyzar sier:
do i guess a bit cheaper than col
oyzar sier:
as i said earlier it is all about opporunity cost
Mars sier:
well, and its about map and land
Mars sier:
and internal preferences
oyzar sier:
sure
Mars sier:
you only count beakers, because thats your only real strong argument
oyzar sier:
but i don't see how poly could help anything regarding the land
Mars sier:
religion do help
Mars sier:
We also await Niklas revised proposal
Mars sier:
in the meantime we get our priorities set
Mars sier:
iron working has also been up
oyzar sier:
you do agree with my math though? that poly would cost 447 beakers for you(149 beakers you spend on poly, 149 beakers we spend on ah and 149 beakers you don't get from what we could have spent those beakers on instead of AH)? while col would cost 523
personally i think the chance of getting the religion from col is higher than from poly anyways...
Mars sier:
indeed
Mars sier:
this is why CoL would have to be part of the agreement
Mars sier:
that was an individual view of course
Mars sier:
we have those that do not care much for CoL
oyzar sier:
IW and sailing are among the highest prieorites outside of the tech paths we have suggested(monarchy and alpha) for a tt game imo, but they are also the easiest techs to get from a 3rd party
Mars sier:
well, we do not know when either of us finds a 3rd party, you by sea and us by land
oyzar sier:
the chance of that increases every turn earlier you let us through
Mars sier:
we intend to let you through, after a vote
Mars sier:
there is not going to be a situation where you are turned back
Mars sier:
we silenced those lone voices
oyzar sier:
so why aren't you voting or making amendments on the proposal we already made? too unofficial looking?
Mars sier:
we are making amendments as we speak
Mars sier:
I know you are a restless soul that spends 33 % of your life on civ
Mars sier:
but some of our team members are casual playres
Mars sier:
players
Mars sier:
the present forecast is that the negotiations are done this week (completed)
Mars sier:
and the vote is done with a 48 h timer (public poll)
Mars sier:
and a good advise for the next team you meet, is to have the email address ready for them
Mars sier:
and not overrun them via chat alone
Mars sier:
before we met you, we had a totally different plan
Mars sier:
but you made us take alpha as a high priority
Mars sier:
so you made some positive difference
oyzar sier:
so do you personally think it is good idea for you guys to take another tech after myst before writing?
Mars sier:
We also got a different landscape, so Monarchy is more urgent to you than to us, so its natural you feel a stronger need to push us faster
Mars sier:
I am not certain about that
Mars sier:
about the 2nd tech
Mars sier:
I agree there is no need to waste beakers
Mars sier:
I also think we needed myst
Mars sier:
regardless
Mars sier:
so I am 100 % for myst
Mars sier:
and 50-50 for the 2nd tech
Mars sier:
but against a 3rd tech
oyzar sier:
50-50 for a 2nd tech?
oyzar sier:
which 2nd tech?
oyzar sier:
it is not like which tech it is, is irrelevant is it?
Mars sier:
it is either poly, sailing, (even math between writing and alpha), iron working and one more I had on my list
Mars sier:
since you obviously get a wonder choice we do not have
Mars sier:
we need an option as well
Mars sier:
so its not only about beakers
oyzar sier:
why do you need an option?
Mars sier:
because we like good outcomes, like you
oyzar sier:
that didn't make sense
Mars sier:
locking us to writing/alpha does not give any new options but the trade
Mars sier:
we did not plan for libraries and such
Mars sier:
this means we commit our research resources, whereas you get early religion, oracle etc etc
Mars sier:
meditation and priesthood is prereqs for many wonders
oyzar sier:
if you are our trading partners how can oracle not benefit you guys? O_o
oyzar sier:
meditation is prereq for no wonders and priesthood is just one
Mars sier:
oh, thats why
Mars sier:
remember
Mars sier:
poly is prereq for many philosophical trait friendly wonders
oyzar sier:
all the wonders in the game are greatly overrated imo
Mars sier:
well, then you probably do not play philophical trait much
Mars sier:
you guys are imperalistic/expansive
Mars sier:
so your approach is more mechanic
Mars sier:
why you aggressively count beakers, even our beakers
Mars sier:
your benefit is faster workers and settlers
Mars sier:
our benefit is finance and great people
oyzar sier:
sure temple of artemis and great library are both quite a lot better with philo than without, but just because you don't go for poly early doesn't mean you can't go for it later, unless you are suggesting to for very early aestics path?
Mars sier:
that is also an option we considered
oyzar sier:
all these options are well and good, but they will still be there after alpha
Mars sier:
but, early religion is a good shot
Mars sier:
I know its a gamble
oyzar sier:
anyways please talk to niklas if there is anything further
Mars sier:
so were your meditation
Mars sier:
i will
oyzar sier:
our meditation wasn't a gamble
Mars sier:
got to watch Obama today
Mars sier:
with a beer
Mars sier:
I know, it was for monarchy
Mars sier:
but you got buddhism
oyzar sier:
no, i ment that budhism wasn't a gamble
oyzar sier:
we knew in advance we would get it
Mars sier:
of course, you are aces on scores and demographics
Mars sier:
but nothing is carved out in stone on poly

Here's my proposed reply, including a full treaty proposal:

To our esteemed neighbors Team Kazakhstan, greetings.

We are grateful that the early misunderstandings between our peoples are giving way to a deeper sense of purpose. We are perhaps a less formal society than your own, and we obviously have our share of impetuous young people who neglect to consider the import of their words before they speak. Nevertheless we do not want to give the wrong impression of ourselves. Respect and cooperation are our bywords, as they are yours. To that end, we wish to first clear up a few things that appear to have been sticking points between us, in the hopes that we may better assure you of the purity of our intentions.

First, our emissaries left the fair shores of our capital of Ohlo Serpentem precisely in Turn 30. Young Oyzar's first "30ish" statement was a qualified guess on his part as he did not fully remember, and when he went back and saw his guess was correct he did not bother to mention it. It was never our intention to keep you in the dark regarding this matter.

Second, we will naturally not enter your territorial waters without your express permission. That would indeed be a violation of the spirit of cooperation we hope to foster between our two peoples. Again, young Oyzar seems to have focused on the wrong things. He worried too much about how you would react to a phony war, that he didn't even think to bring up the question of passage first. But it was never his, or our people's, intention that our explorers sail on without express permission.

Nevertheless, we do fervently wish that the people of Kazakhstan can see the advantage to both of us of allowing us to continue on our way, and can understand the hardship it would entail to the Cavaleiros for us to turn back now. It has been a long and arduous journey to this point, and not least of the desires of our emissaries would be to rest a moment in friendly waters and see some friendly faces once more before continuing on.

We hope that we have thusly clarified the peaceful and hopeful aspirations of Team Cavaleiros. We have never wished anything other than cooperation between our peoples, to the mutual benefit of both societies. Indeed, it has been the dream of our civilization from its very inception to discover that we are not alone in this vast and unfriendly world, and that we may find true partners with whom to journey through time together. It is our fervent hope that Kazakhstan and Cavaleiros may be such partners, and we greatly regret, and apologize for, any and all miscommunications based on cultural and language barriers.

We also wish to express our gratitude with your highly competent emissary, Provolution. His hard work to explain and accomodate for our differences has gone a long way towards making this go as smoothly as it actually has, despite early misgivings. He has also gone out of his way to ensure that our treaty accomodates for any flexibility your people may want, by discussing alternative paths that you may or may not choose to take, just to see what options are available. We do not know what, if any, of these paths are actually being actively considered by your people, nevertheless for our mutual benefit we feel we want and need to give our view.

The reason we are pushing for a beeline for Alphabet and Monarchy is that we are working against time. We have a direct need for several techs from you, for the defense of our homeland. It is not long until the less civilized people of this world figure out how to make axes {turn 65-70 or so}, and if we cannot be sure that we receive these techs in time via trade from you then we will be forced to research them ourselves. That doesn't mean just a one-tech deviation from the outlined tech proposal, but a quite severe delay of any mutual advancement and a loss of several hundred beakers on both sides. We hope you appreciate what a great loss of an opportunity this is for our two teams to soar ahead of our peers, and so we really really hope that you will accept to make your way for Alphabet with haste, for both our sakes.

We have deliberately worded the treaty in such a way that it makes room for strong local needs. In particular we fully understand if you would not want to wait to receive Mysticism from us to expand your borders, as it is quite cheap and comes with a distinct strategic and domestic advantage. But we sincerely hope we can make you see the merits for both of us of sticking to a straight Alphabet/Monarchy beeline.

We also realize your people may be longing for a religion, but we hope you can see that Polytheism is not the best way to get there. It holds next to no intrinsic value other than the religion, and in the early game it provides no benefits that cannot be gotten cheaper through an early Hereditary Rule. We will be more than happy to help you found a religion at a later point, and we have tried to formulate the treaty to take this into account, should you so wish.

Hopefully we will have addressed all points you hoped we would, and that you find our proposed treaty worthy of acception. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Niklas dos Cavaleiros

Proposal: The CavKaz Treaty

* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to take no hostile action of any kind towards the other people.
* This state of peace and non-aggression will last indefinitely, and can only be cancelled by written notice 20 turns in advance.
* Such notice to cancel the state of assured peace can not be given before the year 1 AD (turn 115).

§2. Open Borders
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to open borders with each other, to allow the free passage of units and merchants alike.
* This state of Open Borders will be effective immediately, on both sides, from the signature of this treaty.
* Upon the completion of Writing by either people, this will be handled via a formal Open Borders agreement. Until that time, it will be handled through a phony state of war.

* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to cooperate on the advancement of knowledge to get to Alphabet and Monarchy as soon as possible.
* Both peoples agree to adhere to the attached advancement plan as close as possible.
* Both peoples agree to carry out research at the highest sustainable speed, with no stockpiling of gold beyond that reasonably needed to deal with adverse events.
* Exceptions to the advancement plan may be given in a state of emergency, or in the case of an urgent domestic need.
* If either people wishes to invoke such an exception, it must notify the other people of its intent and reasons for the deviation.
* Upon completion of the respective beelines, the related technologies will be immediately traded to the other people.
* Both peoples agree that mutual technological advancement will continue beyond the completion of the immediate goals, but that plans for the future are to be negotiated at later points, as addendums to this treaty.
* Both peoples agree that a cooperative spirit is more important in such an alliance than strict adherence to minute advantage to the own team.

§4. Resources
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree that in the case that either team has a spare resource to trade, they will first try to negotiate a trade with the other people of this treaty. Only if no such deal is possible will the people consider trading that resource to a third people.

§5. Religion and Oracle
* The people of the Cavaleiros recognize the wishes and needs of the people of Kazakhstan for a religion, and will agree to let Kazakhstan have priority for researching any technology that leads to a religion, after the completion of the inital advancement plan.
* Both peoples recognize that if either team builds the Oracle, to be negotiated at a later point, then the free technology received will be shared with the other people, against a reasonable compensation for the investment of hammers (presumably a smaller research load during that period).

§6. Extension
* Both peoples agree that the intent is to find and include a third civilized people with which to share technological advancement, and agree to work actively towards finding such a people.
* The exact terms of the cooperation with this third people will be negotiated when relevant, and the contents of this documents are not to be seen as binding in any way towards this third people.

Both peoples agree to carry out research at the highest sustainable speed, with no stockpiling of gold beyond that reasonably needed to deal with adverse events.

This should probably be clarified to apply to the current beeline plan only, and that it should be renegotiated with each additional tech agreement.

The comments about the timing of barb axes strongly imply that we have no copper. Are we comfortable with that? I'd just as soon not admit that if there's any way to make our case without it.

Need some additions that if they deviate for whatever reason(iw/sailing/poly) we would have to research hunting/ah/archery ourselves most likely which is quite a lot of beakers and time lost...

After talking with provolution(see logs above) it seems hard to convince them that there is very good reason to not deviate from straight beeline unless we tell tham that we don't have copper...

I'd be ok with telling them that too... they would find out eventually (and we're far enough apart that it won't matter this early on). However, it doesn't seem like we can convince them to not get myst, so we shouldn't try to come off as too demanding. As long as they don't deviate too far, it's also true that the ones they are mostly hurting are themselves (if we get monarchy first, our cities can start growing more, and if they are a few turns to alphabet it is their loss).

Worst comes to worst, if we wanted to I see no reason not to stockpile some gold (if there is no other tech we want before the trade) and slow down monarchy a little. I don't see how they can really find out (we have no multipliers in place on gold or commerce). As far as I'm concerned, dealing with "adverse events" as per the treaty is up to at least the range of 100+ gold - no one got any gold from huts in this game so we could argue that this is already in consideration. But what I'm really hoping for is that we can meet some third team, not have to slow down monarchy at all, and get a good tech path; that remains to be seen.

We will likely have to tell them that, yes. And hopefully we will have Feudalism before they could have a single axe at our borders, so it really is not a big deal in my opinion.

They are hurting us too if they deviate though, since everything I said about having to deviate to research Archery and AH ourselves is absolutely true. So we wouldn't be able to get fast to Monarchy either.

Ok, given the logic in the last few posts, I'm ok with leaving that in.

We know kazakstan is not heading down the religious path so it seems like it could be advantagous for us to at the very least propose they go for alpha and we go for monarchy. This can of course be expanded into a tech alliance in the future... They are one of the stronger teams around given the way they started. If we ally them we will probably avoid the redcoats as well(since it'll be nowhere near the time to break any alliance by the time redcoats get obsolete i bet). Also if we do ally them we should obviously inform them our intentions to get a tripple alliance going... They might want a nap instead of an alliance though, what are we going to do if so? Also what can i tell them of information at this stage? If we want to trade techs i should probably tell them roughly what techs we have... I am probably usually more liberal with information than the rest of you, can i for example tell them the location of our capital(probably pretty far from them).

Sent to Team Kazakhstan with the title Respect:

Spoiler :
To our esteemed neighbors Team Kazakhstan, greetings.

We are grateful that the early misunderstandings between our peoples
are giving way to a deeper sense of purpose. We are perhaps a less
formal society than your own, and we obviously have our share of
impetuous young people who neglect to consider the import of their
words before they speak. Nevertheless we do not want to give the wrong
impression of ourselves. Respect and cooperation are our bywords, as
they are yours. To that end, we wish to first clear up a few things
that appear to have been sticking points between us, in the hopes that
we may better assure you of the purity of our intentions.

First, our emissaries left the fair shores of our capital of Ohlo
Serpentem precisely in Turn 30. Young Oyzar's first "30ish" statement
was a qualified guess on his part as he did not fully remember, and
when he went back and saw his guess was correct he did not bother to
mention it. It was never our intention to keep you in the dark
regarding this matter.

Second, we will naturally not enter your territorial waters without
your express permission. That would indeed be a violation of the
spirit of cooperation we hope to foster between our two peoples.
Again, young Oyzar seems to have focused on the wrong things. He
worried too much about how you would react to a phony war, that he
didn't even think to bring up the question of passage first. But it
was never his, or our people's, intention that our explorers sail on
without express permission.

Nevertheless, we do fervently wish that the people of Kazakhstan can
see the advantage to both of us of allowing us to continue on our way,
and can understand the hardship it would entail to the Cavaleiros for
us to turn back now. It has been a long and arduous journey to this
point, and not least of the desires of our emissaries would be to rest
a moment in friendly waters and see some friendly faces once more
before continuing on.

We hope that we have thusly clarified the peaceful and hopeful
aspirations of Team Cavaleiros. We have never wished anything other
than cooperation between our peoples, to the mutual benefit of both
societies. Indeed, it has been the dream of our civilization from its
very inception to discover that we are not alone in this vast and
unfriendly world, and that we may find true partners with whom to
journey through time together. It is our fervent hope that Kazakhstan
and Cavaleiros may be such partners, and we greatly regret, and
apologize for, any and all miscommunications based on cultural and
language barriers.

We also wish to express our gratitude with your highly competent
emissary, Provolution. His hard work to explain and accomodate for our
differences has gone a long way towards making this go as smoothly as
it actually has, despite early misgivings. He has also gone out of his
way to ensure that our treaty accomodates for any flexibility your
people may want, by discussing alternative paths that you may or may
not choose to take, just to see what options are available. We do not
know what, if any, of these paths are actually being actively
considered by your people, nevertheless for our mutual benefit we feel
we want and need to give our view.

The reason we are pushing for a beeline for Alphabet and Monarchy is
that we are working against time. We have a direct need for several
techs from you, for the defense of our homeland. It is not long until
the less civilized people of this world figure out how to make axes
{turn 65-70 or so}, and if we cannot be sure that we receive these
techs in time via trade from you then we will be forced to research
them ourselves. That doesn't mean just a one-tech deviation from the
outlined tech proposal, but a quite severe delay of any mutual
advancement and a loss of several hundred beakers on both sides. We
hope you appreciate what a great loss of an opportunity this is for
our two teams to soar ahead of our peers, and so we really really hope
that you will accept to make your way for Alphabet with haste, for
both our sakes.

We have deliberately worded the treaty in such a way that it makes
room for strong local needs. In particular we fully understand if you
would not want to wait to receive Mysticism from us to expand your
borders, as it is quite cheap and comes with a distinct strategic and
domestic advantage. But we sincerely hope we can make you see the
merits for both of us of sticking to a straight Alphabet/Monarchy
beeline.

We also realize your people may be longing for a religion, but we hope
you can see that Polytheism is not the best way to get there. It holds
next to no intrinsic value other than the religion, and in the early
game it provides no benefits that cannot be gotten cheaper through an
early Hereditary Rule. We will be more than happy to help you found a
religion at a later point, and we have tried to formulate the treaty
to take this into account, should you so wish.

Hopefully we will have addressed all points you hoped we would, and
that you find our proposed treaty worthy of acception. We look forward
to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Niklas dos Cavaleiros

Proposal: The CavKaz Treaty

* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to take no hostile
action of any kind towards the other people.
* This state of peace and non-aggression will last indefinitely, and
can only be cancelled by written notice 20 turns in advance.
* Such notice to cancel the state of assured peace can not be given
before the year 1 AD (turn 115).

§2. Open Borders
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to open borders with
each other, to allow the free passage of units and merchants alike.
* This state of Open Borders will be effective immediately, on both
sides, from the signature of this treaty.
* Upon the completion of Writing by either people, this will be
handled via a formal Open Borders agreement. Until that time, it will
be handled through a phony state of war.

* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree to cooperate on the
advancement of knowledge to get to Alphabet and Monarchy as soon as
possible.
* Both peoples agree to adhere to the attached advancement plan as
close as possible.
* Both peoples agree to carry out research at the highest sustainable
speed, with no stockpiling of gold beyond that reasonably needed to
deal with adverse events.
* Exceptions to the advancement plan may be given in a state of
emergency, or in the case of an urgent domestic need.
* If either people wishes to invoke such an exception, it must notify
the other people of its intent and reasons for the deviation.
* Upon completion of the respective beelines, the related technologies
will be immediately traded to the other people.
* Both peoples agree that mutual technological advancement will
continue beyond the completion of the immediate goals, but that plans
for the future are to be negotiated at later points, as addendums to
this treaty.
* Both peoples agree that a cooperative spirit is more important in
such an alliance than strict adherence to minute advantage to the own
team.

§4. Resources
* The peoples of Cavaleiros and Kazakhstan agree that in the case that
either team has a spare resource to trade, they will first try to
negotiate a trade with the other people of this treaty. Only if no
such deal is possible will the people consider trading that resource
to a third people.

§5. Religion and Oracle
* The people of the Cavaleiros recognize the wishes and needs of the
people of Kazakhstan for a religion, and will agree to let Kazakhstan
have priority for researching any technology that leads to a religion,
after the completion of the inital advancement plan.
* Both peoples recognize that if either team builds the Oracle, to be
negotiated at a later point, then the free technology received will be
shared with the other people, against a reasonable compensation for
the investment of hammers (presumably a smaller research load during
that period).

§6. Extension
* Both peoples agree that the intent is to find and include a third
civilized people with which to share technological advancement, and
agree to work actively towards finding such a people.
* The exact terms of the cooperation with this third people will be
negotiated when relevant, and the contents of this documents are not
to be seen as binding in any way towards this third people.

Top Bottom