Embargo! A Restricted Trade Succession Game

Finally finished, turns are taking longer now. We now know Electronics & Steel but we still don't know what gravity is..

1500 rearrange few cities production, Lux to 50%

1510 Vikings Indust,Pompeii completes Darwins,hut = 100g,Vans - shimon to Edo 27g,Turn to Kyoto 127g, Edo Aarus 442g

1520 Comm -> electronics, start UN with 6 vans , Melbourne founded

1530 New Kyoto founded, 1 van to UN, vans hakodate to Omni 32g, NAra to Fukushima 122g,Nagoya to Birka 294g, tax to 30%

1540 Toyama to Edo 84g,Hamburg Hakodate 64g, Bergen Ravning edge 165g, 4 vans to UN & Finish off 160g, Alaska Founded,

1550 Ravning Edge - Womans Suffrage, Chiense land & capture undefended Sapporo, senate signs cease fire! Electronics->Steel, Fukushima UN, Lower Edo Founded, Meet Romans give explosives, peace, Capua wine Edo 63g, Turin Edo 260g, Kyoto Uppsala 228g, Sapporo Subverted back 576g,

1560 Romans devleop TOG. Spanish appear near undefended salamis, Approach. they won't talk,

1570 Spanish capture Salamis, Spanish take physics, cease fire signed, Venice to Matsuyama 88g, Omni to Edo 101g, Edo Jorvik 236g

1580 Steel -> Machine Tools

1590 Bizen Kyoto 180g, Shimonoseki Edo 30g, Lisbon Spice Calcutta 130g, Girba Captured (carthag) and Girbasan rebuilt on it's site, Port Naga built (gives a route to near romans) and built settler into it, verona Edo 200g, Matsuyama Suo 108g, Edo Jorvik 236g

1600 ...

I tried to play it as friendly as possible, until we get howitzers I don't think we'll win a continued battle, as it happened there wasn't much contact. We have the UN which should help keep peace. Hoover Dam has not been built yet, we have a lot of coastal cities so it may be worth building to keep down pollution. We've lost a city to the spanish, it can be subverted back for about 800g but I didn't bother.

The carthags are boxed in now by a roaded path from the new city of Port Naga to Girbasan, this should be helpful when attacking. It also gives us a short route to the Romans who have some large cities which we should get good trade bonuses from.

The city of Sydney in the south is flitting in and out of disorder, the worker needs to revert between fish and entertainer to keep order. There is an engineer on the city tile who can irrigate the forest (to plain), this will create enough arrows to keep it in order (or lux can be raised to 60%).

There is a few vans on their way in ships, and just over 1000 gold in the kitty.

Attachments

• TO_A1600.SAV
    155.5 KB · Views: 216
  • carthag.png
    carthag.png
    416 KB · Views: 232
Sydney will need either a trade route or a courthouse. 4 trade will give it 2 luxuries and a courthouse would have the same effect as 2 luxuries.

We'll need to prepare for developing an industrial base. This means mining and railroads; which require engineers. We have a few cities that look like they can become decent industrial centers. Also, any city with a lot of ocean, an offshore platform and a factory can be made into a respectable industrial site. Unfortunately, 700g won't be easy to come by in this game.

To deal with Beijing requires an idea of the city's defences. This means investigating with a diplomat or spy. After that, it is a matter of sabotaging the coastal fortress (if we want to attack with cruisers) or the city walls and emptying the city. Its a lot of work, but the sooner we do it, the sooner it is done and we'll have less worries in the area.

The key number for freight deliveries is 150g. If we can make domestic deliveries of at least 150 gold then we can rushbuy freight instead of building it slowly (1 turn in the prod. box, 1 turn rush). Obviously, we'll want even higher returns, but 150 is the minimum to make it always worth while. In large part our resources are constricted by the fact that so many cities are tied up in producing freight. I don't really have an answer to this problem, at least until we get flight and automobile. Airports and superhighways, with oil deliveries, will provide nice returns, but still require a large innitial investment.

Lots of work. I'm confident that we could win the space race, but if we follow the tradition of previous sucession games and try to win by conquest we might have some difficulties exterminating the computers that launch space ships. We will have even more problems when someone builds manhattan project, because SDI is not cheap and would be generally required to save us from first-strike nukings.

Sydney will need either a trade route or a courthouse. 4 trade will give it 2 luxuries and a courthouse would have the same effect as 2 luxuries.

I always forget about the courthouse under democracy adding a happy citizen.

I think we ought to try and go for a win by conquest, but we're going to have to amass a large amount of gold before the end, which may be tricky with our limited trade.

I think we ought to try and go for a win by conquest, but we're going to have to amass a large amount of gold before the end, which may be tricky with our limited trade.

But that's the challenge....not going for the easy way. Let's try and see how far we come.....conquest it will be....:spear:

You all had to wait long but finally....i finished my turns. Last couple of weeks were madhouse in reallife. Making lots of hours for work. Lucky for me is that (for now) it's not that busy anymore.

We finally got a world war ..... and I have a little surprise for Pr. Garfield and Charlie... but they have to look at the game for that....

Here's my log:
1600 AD RB some cavalry for attacking Carthaginian cities
1610 AD >23M / Nara
1620 AD Machine Tools->Espionage / >24M
1630 AD got Amphibious Warfare and Theory of Gravity from Vikings / gold to Gades (58g)+oil to Leptis Parva (82g)+dye to Hladir (520g)
1640 AD Espionage->Miniaturization / >25M / founded Nagoya / gems to Suo (146g) + oil to Edo (111g)+ beads to Malaga (404g) / bribed Salamis (74g)
1650 AD >26M / silk to Kyoto (260g)+oil to Nagasaki(108g)+gems to Vallodalid(208g)
1660 AD >27M / made peace with Carth's/ contacted Vikings and they asked to declare war on Carth's (I did) captured Carthage (112g) / oil to Edo (41g)+beads to Nagoya(74g)+oil to Burgos (148g)
1670 AD sneak attacked by Carth's/ attacked by Romans / Miniaturization->Guerilla Warfare / >28M / oil to Cadiz (115g)+oil to Edo(71g)+cloth to Westness (140g) / bribed Santander (26g)
1680 AD sneak attack by Chinese…it's world war I
1690 AD >29M
1700 AD >30M / captured Utica(145g) / gold to Edo(145g) + spice to Osaka(360g)+hides to Bilbao(156g)

There are some freight heading for ai cities:
copper to Seville
dye to Madrid
salt to Toledo
silver to Hladir
dye to Seville
gold to Malaga/Burgos

The next can change the destiny of course but might like to know where I send them.
Capturing ai-cities is not that hard....just have enough spies to destroy the city walls and than attack with enough cavalry (for now).... and of course engineers to get those rails for easy transport.

To make it all easier we should or get flight/advanced flight or howitzers.
It's not that far any more to those discoveries....

Nice surprise :)

I played one and a half turns this afternoon, have already made an important "acquisition" and have also had an important and unfortunate diplomatic incident.

It took me ages to find the surprise :D

It looks like we're getting quite powerful now. Trying to take out the Spanish and the Romans should be interesting.

Here's the log.

(0) 1700: Re-arrange production. Science to 40% to get Guerrilla Warfare. Spend 637g in rushbuys.
(1) 1710: Vikings get refining. Romans Sneak attack, kill engineer near Shimonoseki. Hamburg aqueduct. Capua Sewer System. Guerrilla Warfare, begin refining. Investigate Beijing: Only 1 rifleman and no coastal fortress! Immediately rush 2 cruisers in Kagoshima and Suo for 390g. Arrange for capturing the city. Sabotage Harbour, spy captured. Izumi spice (d) to Osaka for 236g. Bergen Salt to Cadiz (n) for 145g. Suo to Malaga copper (d) for 556g. Vikings cancel alliance when I refuse to declare war on the Carthaginians or give them miniaturization. Various other rushbuys.
(2) 1720: Chinese cavalry destroy 2 riflemen defending Shanghai. Romans develop Ampf. Warfare. One cruiser destroys riflemen defending Beijing (becomes vet); Beijing captured, 129g plundered. Rush aqueduct from scratch for 240g. With mined hills, Beijing can be easily made into an industrial center. Spanish: nothing. Birka investigated: 1 rifle and 1 artillery. Rush some cavalry for a potential assault on Skara. Rush Santander’s city walls. Panama built. Carthaginians refuse to withdraw; war. Sabotage some cities, get a few vet spies. Raise taxes to 30%.
(3) 1730: Spanish sneak attack; destroyer destroys a New Kyoto rifleman. Santander Walls. Refining. Begin Refrigeration. Beijing Aqueduct, begin harbour. Find out that the Vikings have electronics and are building Hoover Dam. Rush freight for the wonder. Investigate Skara (with Eiffel Tower), defended with 9 units; put attack plans on hold. Valletta built.
(4) 1740: Issus Island builds Sewers, begin Offshore Platform. 12 Vans to Satsuma for Hoover Dam. Toronto-Edo Coal (d) for 407g. Dublin-Kyoto Silver (d) for 252g. Nagasaki-Kaupang silver (d) for 550g. Rush coastal fortress in Valletta. Boost science to 30%.
(5) 1750: Spanish destroyer destroys a half-full transport. Valletta coastal fortress. Satsuma builds Hoover Dam, Vikings abandon. Bribe Ironclad for 450g (Non). Use Ironclad, cavalry to take Hyderabad (with walls), lost vet cavalry, plunder 221g. Peace with Carthaginians. Rush offshore platforms in Issus Island and Bergen.
(6) 1752: Vikings develop Genetic engineering, begin Cure for Cancer. Vikings sneak attack, destroy transport with gold shipment, another transport, and rifleman. Carthaginians sneak attack, destroy cavalry. Roman destroyer destroys bribed ironclad. Bergen Offshore platform. Refrigeration. Begin combustion. Issus Island offshore platform. Beijing harbour. I realize that the Romans have a city on lake 18. Take Birka, 49g, Genetic Engineering. Peace with Vikings.
(7) 1754: Vikings nearly complete Cure for Cancer. Chinese cavalry liberate the empty Shanghai, take explosives. Romans develop fundamentalism. Peace with Romans. Vikings, surprisingly, withdraw troops. Build Magic. Build Gorter. Buy shields in Bergen up to 100 for factory.
(8) 1756: Trondheim builds cure for cancer. Beijing Sewer system. Build East Panama, rush Walls from scratch. Peace with Spanish.
(9) 1758: East Panama builds city walls. Garfieldate builds coastal fortress. Indians: Give tactics to keep alliance. Liberate Shanghai, get 71g, peace with Chinese. Vikings refuse to withdraw, war. Take Jarrow, 92g, Westness, 63g. Rush Capua Offshore platform. Spanish refuse to withdraw their cannons, war. Raise taxes to 40%.
(10) 1760: Vikings develop communism. Chinese sneak attack, destroy cavalry in shanghai. Combustion, begin Flight (over atomic theory, fundamentalism). Capua builds Offshore platform. Take Odense, 43g.

Notes:
Chinese: There is an active spy in Shanghai, which can be used to bribe the alpine troop beside the city. China has no capital, so the next player can bribe away both their cities if they want to.

Indians: Our alliance has become a little shaky, but we should probably preserve it for a little longer. Once the alliance is dissolved, we will need to capture Bangalore as soon as possible, because it will otherwise be a very big problem with units around our territory. I gave them tactics to keep the alliance, because I didn’t think it was wise to go to war (as would probably happen) with them yet.

Romans: We should bribe or subvert Brundisium shortly, to eliminate Roman destroyers on lake 18. Otherwise, we’ll probably want to leave them alone for a little while, except for sending spies to map their territory.

Spanish: Both Valencia and Seville are defended by 3 musketeers and a phalanx each, if you want to take one or both. We might want to acquire Leon, the only northern Spanish city on the ocean. Otherwise, I don’t have advice for the Spanish theatre.

Vikings: I lost the alliance, which might have been better to preserve for a little while longer in exchange for miniaturization, but things are as they are. Valletta is in a strategic position, but is 2 turns away from the nearest city, and the seas are no longer safe, given perpetual war or potential sneak attacks. Skara holds Eiffel Tower, which might be nice to capture, especially given our “Atrocious” reputation. However, when I have investigated the city, it has been defended by 8 or 10 units, including several marines. We’ll need some sea power to attack with. Island 21 (with Skara) will be the next logical conquest area, because we have a foothold on the continent and the cities don’t have walls. There is a transport in Garfieldate, which could be used to move some units to Valletta, if you want to risk the passage.

Carthage: This is just a matter of a hard slog, with spies to destroy walls. We may want to consider pulling most of our cavalry out of Carthage to attack the Vikings on Island 21, because the conquest could be completed rather quickly compared to that of Carthage.

Domestic: We have several offshore platforms, and a couple of cities building factories. Bergen will complete one next turn. We may want to stop waiting for foreign delivery opportunities for delivering caravans, because they are going to be rather limited from now on. As for science, I think we should research up to radio and robotics, then slow or shut down research until others start overtaking us. We’ll probably want more engineers, and perhaps should consider putting railroads on hold for areas with little traffic in order to build some mines. Beijing is on its way to being an industrial centre (with mines already built, it was a good idea to pamper a little).

General Military: We have to think about our navy, and decide whether we want to have a surface fleet or build submarines. It’s been my experience that submarines are the best value when you can’t take firm control of the seas. On the other hand, the Carthaginians, Spanish aren’t in much of a position to build a navy (as they have few coastal cities) and the Chinese aren’t in a position to do much of anything. Furthermore, the Romans, and, to a lesser extent, the Indians, are facing the far ocean, and will have limited ability to challenge us.

Attachments

• TO_A1760.SAV
    159.4 KB · Views: 172
A lot happened. To bad that the alliance with the Vikings is over. But sooner or later we had to do it. Now we have some cities...thanx for naming that island with two cities to me. We should indeed get to robotics soon. When having that tech before the other civ's we normally can win by conquest. I normally don't build a lot of ships, because when having howitzers, stealth fithers and the radio tech it's easy to capture other cities (in combination with spies bribing).

Log attached,

pre turn - rearrange few things, bribe alpine troop, spend down to 400g

1762 sneak attack by romans east panama, valetta attacked by marines just survives, road built from burka to jorvik and taken with 3 cavalry, 75g captured, 2 partisans. peace signed, roman destroyer bribed 456g, Brundisium (in disorder) bribed for 327g got 43g + 7 units (3 marines), nanking revolted 214g got 50g.

1764 senate allows continued peace keeping against chinese, crete silver edo 187g, canton revolted 610g, got 156g, Chinese Destroyed, ghent coal ultica 257g, salamis dye bengal 224g, taxes to 3-2-5

1766 Cartenna city walls destroyed lost 4 spies,cartenna captured 247g, Oil to Edo 120g, cloth shimoneski 92g, Avila in disorder revolted 815g, got 125g back, senate allows further peace keeping against spain, City of nintendo founded, Milan silver Pisae 295g,

1768 Vikings develop combustion, indians develop amphib warfare, Flight -> Radio, melbourne silver EDo 152g,Turin Toyama WIne 76g, Ise founded,Bizen Gems Jaipru 76g, Hamburg Gold Carhthage 81g, Omi Wine Izumi 60g, Shimoneski Cloth Jarlshof 76g,

1770 withdrawn 2 troops from near jarslhoff, ask vikings to withraw troops they do, Kyoto Dye Westness 59g, Valencia Walls destroyed 1 spy, Lisbon wine verona 43g, Capua Oil jaipur 682g, can't provoke romans to war, rusucuru walls destroyed, valencia captureed 87g, Northyama founded, Rusicade revolted 634 g, got 173 gold.

1772 Radio -> Adv flight, > 46million pop, Hawk party allows war against vikings, Jarlsohf captured 78g, MAtsuyama gems lisbon 128g, naples wine girbisan 160g, Malaga walls destroyed, verona calcutta gold 124g, Rusucurru captured 281g plus shakespeares,

1774 Romans sneak attack, Malaga captured 108g, caralis walls destroyed, caralis captured 277g, Izumo oil carthage 30g, Echigosalt edo 67g, Omi gems calcutta 496g,

1776 Vikings develop automobile, Indians develop refining, Leptis magna walls destroyed, Pamplona walls destroyed, Pamplona captured 42g, Ice wine Omi 56g, Issus Island wine canton 244g, Nara oil calcutta 58g, Rome Cavlary has appeared near bangalore taxes 3-2-5

1778 Romans steal miniturisation, Adv FLight -> Automobile, Build 1 bomber with zoom to city, Lindholm captured 99g + automobile, 2 partisans, New Roma (launch city) founded, Saragossa walls destroyed, saragassoa captured 119g, Leptis magna captured 92g, Port Naga kyoto silver 54g, Toyama cloth rusucurru 87g, Cremona Gems Bangalore 360g, rush 2 bombers

1780 lost 5 units on a ship, Start learning Mobile warfare, Ise oil capua 175g, Nagoya spice issus island 212g, Sappror oil calcutta 96g

The chinese are no more, the rest was a hard slog, I didn't get very far against the Roman's, but now we have Bombers it should help. I spent all gold as I lost track of how many turns were left but Oil is just starting to be demanded (Edo demands) so deliveries should be more profitable. Only having one AI to trade with has definately slowed down this stage of the game, but at least we still have the Alliance with India.

My next targets were Skara which is only defended by 1 unit (with another being built next turn), the battleship next to Skara should disappear when the city is taken. Also I was going to send most of the Carthag units and settlers to New Roma to have a chance of launching a big attack.

Defeating the carthags and spanish should be quite easy now as they are much weaker. The Viking mainland and Romans should still be a challenge.

I normally sell off most improvements when capturing cities (granary's, city walls that aren't threatened, banks etc) but I have held off from doing this (apart from a university and 2 libraries). You should be able to raise some money from selling them if you want.

This has taken a lot of time just to do 10 turns, a lot of it was hard slog, especially just holding onto the 2 cities to the north of roman territory, but it has been very enjoyable.

Attachments

• TO_A1780.SAV
    160.3 KB · Views: 198
A couple of pictures

One final thing, some cities (the ones with factories and offshores) are in danger of producing pollution, at this level it can be a bit unforgiving about pollution.

Attachments

• rome.png
    rome.png
    376.3 KB · Views: 253
  • spain.png
    spain.png
    435.6 KB · Views: 225
Looks like we are in a very good position, and have a good chance of completing conquest without worrying about the space race. Once the Carthaginians are defeated, the top two computer civs won't have a key civ.

Mass Production for mass transit looks like the next logical research direction, then maybe recycling after that. We may want to look into building a few airports to move units with.

Bombers might be useful to stack with transports, in order to protect them on the high seas. We'll have to watch out for civs that develop flight (vikings most likely to do so, I think), but we'll probably have at least one civ to use bombers against, or we can stack them with ground units.

A Summary of the world war in the 18th century

Half way the 18th century the first world war was a fact. The civilizations of the Romans, Vikings, Japanese, Spanish, Carth's, Chinese and Indians were defided into 4 groups....
The Romans and the Carth's formed one alliance as did the Japanese, Vikings and the Indians. The Chinese and Spanish were on their own....

To stay alone was not a good choise for the Chinese. They lost their last city in 1764. In the next periode till 1780 the Carth's and Spanish became a bit weaker but the Romans showed that they were one of the stronger civ's and they aimed for the goal to conquer the world...

The Vikings decided that they no longer wanted to be part of the alliance with the Japanese and the Indians and became a kind of neutral party.

In the last 20 years of this century the Vikings and Indians didn't do much in the world war, but the Japanese decided to do mass attacks on the Spanish, Carth's and the Romans.

The Carth's were pretty much powerless and were finally beaten in 1796.
The Spanish were able to withstand the attacks pretty long but after 1790 they lost a big fight near Salamanca and are almost down on their knees. They have only left 1 city.:backstab:

The war against the Romans was long and hard. :hammer:There were some big battles near Ravenna....and the city belonged to both civ's. The war between the Romans and the Japanese was totally different then the other fights...because the main fights happened with planes. At the end of the century it looked like the Japanese had an important victory near Virocorium and were able to conquer some more Roman cities..... The war is not yet decided and will last the next decennia....who will win is not sure yet......to be continued.....

Top Bottom