Emperor Wannabe - first attempt

Sawney Bean

Chieftain
The last two MS games seem to have gone quite well, so I decided to try my hand at Emperor :suicide:

Random Leader and Standard Fractal map. Emperor/Epic. Huts off and Events on.

WB save attached below - usual spoiler rules apply for anyone wishing to shadow.

To 950BC

To 10AD

The Leader:- Zara Yaqob

The UU:- The Oromo Warrior

A Musket which is immune to First Strikes and starts with 1 First Strike and Drill I and II promotions; that means 2-3 First Strikes and -20% collateral damage received out of the box.

The UB.:- The Stele

A building made for the culture lovers - a cheap, early culture multiplier that obsoletes with Astro.

The Start

North of the equator with only an irrigated wheat visible. We appear to have water east and west of us. I propose to move the scout 1 SE, 1S to investigate the river, but settling where I am seems likely.

In the event of settling in place, teching Agriculture whilst building a worker seems a safe bet. :lol:

1848 Culture

Spoiler :

Not a lot of ground breaking work here. We have a lot of land and the jungle land is very good. I went early settler to grab the stone and put up henge/gwall. Got cottages going in those 2 cities, all others were farmed for whips.

One noteworthy thing I did do was plant yeha in toku's face and gift it to him for +5 (4 fair trade 1 liberation). This + religion got him pleased and eventually friendly.

From there I teched out lib + demo (for $$$ buy) while the rest of the world fought it out. Cathedrals in capitol and 2nd city, 8 artists bombed in #3.

I flipped 3 cities off toku, 1 off the barbs, and one off hammy.

Final civics were US/FS/Caste/merc (for toku diplo)/pacifism. I popped a 9th bomb artist the turn before victory, which I didn't wind up using.

Capitol and 2nd city were ~700 cpt. #3 city was only getting like 100 or so cpt but got 36000 culture bombed into it to cover.

Rule change: Given what I now know about the map, there is clearly scope for a cultural victory along the lines advocated by jesusin in this thread. Whilst it would appear to be the best strategy for this map and this leader, turning down the science slider and foregoing offensive war doesn't seem optimal for getting acquainted with a new difficulty level. Consequently I am ruling out this victory condition for me (but not the AI.)

In a similar vein I've also decided not to build GW and The Mids, as they offer crutches that won't be available in most Emperor games

Played To 950 BC

Tech: Ag, BW, AH, Fi, Wri, Wh, Pot, Aes (3 turns from completion)

4 cities founded

Rivals met: Toku, Izzy, Hammy, WvO

Cities

Spoiler :

Tech
Spoiler :

Diplo

Spoiler :

4000 BC Settle in place - only wheat and a spice visible, I believe we supposed to have at lest three resources, so there must be one hidden (copper would be nice:goodjob: ) Build worker.

3700 Buddhism FIDL

3425 Worker pops -I can only grow at a poxy 2:food: per turn. Instead I work the 3
hammer tile for a quicker warrior

Grow to size two and chop a worker and settler.

2550 Gondar founded for early GS and to provide access to horses

Chop worker in capital at size 4 and grow to size 5

2000 Library chopped in Gondar, set two

1800 Lalibela founded to claim the copper to our north

1725 Pottery researched, set slider to 0% until library and academy are built in capital

1400 Great Scientist born in Gondar for academy in capital

1175 Addis Ababa founded - Given the paucity of resources in our capital and it's need to work cottages, this city will serve as an additional worker/settler pump before focusing on production.

1000 BC exploration died with our scout. Two chariots are assigned to the task

975 BC worker assigned to build road for trade route with Spain

Attachments

• Sawney Bean BC-0950.CivBeyondSwordSave
    123.2 KB · Views: 34
Assuming he started same sec it got posted :D

And that I uploaded the pictures and made the post instantly.......

Given what I now know about the map, there is clearly scope for a cultural victory

I find this a dubious point despite going culture myself, given our neighbors. A lot of VC's are reasonable with this start.

Well, it's good to set restraints if they help you improve. Just don't FORCE something that the map discourages if you're trying to learn either.

91 mins = sic!!!

No wonder you are rubbish at micro management. Thats less than a minute for each turn. Maybe 20-30 seconds top! I assume you moved some units too? You must have a super past pc. When did you buy it and where?? :lol:

Did you give the barbs archery? Not had a barb archer spawn yet.

Did you give the barbs archery? Not had a barb archer spawn yet.

I started with an Emperor save, so they should have it anyway

I find this a dubious point despite going culture myself, given our neighbors. A lot of VC's are reasonable with this start.

At Monarch I would be CONFIDENT of obtaining a tech lead or at the very least a military tech lead. Having not played Emperor before, I hope to be able to do the same here but can't be sure. Since I have followed jesusin's approach to win at Monarch, the number of unknowns from pursuing that victory condition are fewer for ME. If winning was the sole objective, culture would have been the way I would have gone.

1848 Culture
Congrats on the win, it sometimes takes me longer that that to decide where to move my scout :lol:

I started with an Emperor save, so they should have it anyway

I think for a world builder save you have to give the barbs the techs. The barbs with just warriors takes away some of the difficulty really in terms of early fog busting and threats. When I get to 950bc I will post. (Albeit in spoiler) :)

To 10 AD

7 Cities

Tech Aes (cont), Poly , Curr, CoL, Med, Philo (Bulb), CS

Trade for Alpha, IW, Cal, Priest, Sail, Mon, Maths, Mas

485 BC Izzy demands I convert to Buddhism, I comply

550 BC Yela founded to claim Gold and work cottages

455 BC Debre Berhan founded to block Hammy to the South

355 BC Adulis founded to block Hammy & Izzy to the East

170 BC 2nd GS born

140 BC Bulb Philo and found Taoism

35 BC Toku goes wheoohrn, I appear to be the target. He has construction, but his power is on a par with mine.

Cities

Spoiler :

Empire Plan

Spoiler :

Taoism Founded

Spoiler :

Tech

Spoiler :

Diplo

Spoiler :

Power

Spoiler :