English football thread no 2

Glazer now owns 63% of ManU as Harry Dobson has just sold his 6% at £3 per share. 75% here he comes.

He’s not asked me for my 0.00001% yet… :)

WickedSmurf said:
Why would fans want to "defend" against Glazer?
Because they fear he will use it as a tool to increase his wealth, rather than because of a love of football.

A large portion of the money used to buy the club will be refinaced against by the club, ie Glazer uses Man U's money to buy Man U. So now the club is heavily in debt, and where does the money come from? Fans.
It doesn't mean a rubbish team, cos good results mean more cash, but it must horrid to have the thing you love snatched away by an ignorant speculator.

I think things like this are bad for football and show how much more money is becoming a factor in the game. I'm by no means a Man. U fan, but I do not wish them ill. If this happened to say AC Milan or Roma, I would feel the same way.

EDIT: On the other hand, Glazer took over the American football Buccaneers in 1995, when they were possibly one of the worst-run franchises in the league and they won the Super Bowl in 2003, so you never know.

True, but doesn't the worst team get first pick of the best young talent in American football? Completely the opposite in football. I'm more worried about the damage to the English game as a whole than Man U in particular. One of the ways they reckon he can squeeze some more cash out of it is to arrange their own TV deals - leaving a smaller pot of cash for everyone else.

Incidently, saw a rumour the yesterday that Barca were thinking about putting adverts on their shirts for the first time ever, which really goes to show who rules footballs these days.

Barca are indeed doing that yes.

When Glazer gets his 75% (and lets be honest, he will) Man U will cease to be a plc and he will have complete control and he can do as he wants. Prices will go up across the board but then again, he has stated he will give 90 MILLION for Transfers, ok that ain't up to Chelski standards (something like 200 mill) but 90 million for a team already filled with class players (hate him but I have to admit Rooney is good, RVN is also top class, although going through a dry spell)

I think Glazer will get rid of Fergie and bring in someone new, in the same way Roman did and that money will be used to beef up the team. Rio will go, and first off the bat will be a new Goalkeeper (again)

Meant to add, Man U fans thourhg about building a new team in the mould of Wimbeldon but that ain't gonna happen. People are pissed now but it's really difficult to be pissed at your team when it wins things. With Man U having 90 mill of new players in the team, Chelski already overflowing with talent and a huge morale booster from winning the league and Arsenal with something to proove, next season should be interesting.....

Well, I suppose this is the risk you take when you go public. Then again, if you're a privately owner club, there's always the possibility that some rich sod comes along and buys the club over. It's pretty sad, to my mind at least, but in one way just a reminder that the fans simply don't own the football club, no matter how much they think they do.

If / when Ferguson goes, I think I'll find it very hard to carry on rooting for United.

it's not 90 mill? I heard it in passing on the news. must have misheard.

just a running post. watching the City game.

Norwich are SO unlucky at the moment. the Ref has his head up his arse and thats no job. 2 penalty claims dismissed and a goal disallowed. Southhampton are drawing with Man U (both scorers were Scots, go figure lol) and Palace are loosing to Charlton.

City are the better team and loosing story of their lives I suppose.

God I don't even support them and I'm rooting for them,

COME ON CITY!!!

I can't see Glazer getting of Ferg. It'll be utterly disasterous for fan support - and who might he get in? Would Martin O'Neil, or other big name, want to take over that seething mess?

Anyway, this relegation battle is totally absorbing. FiveLive doing a brilliant job. I want them all the stay up :(

*dons black arm band*

alas, Norwich, in true form, got the football equivalent of a mugging. After the first 3 they just sat back. Poor Norwich :(

Congrats to the Baggies for doing what not 1 person said they would do.

Suppersalmon said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS Charlton sent the Palace down

Quite good since that means we could be back to just 25% of the premiership being made up from London clubs.

CNN World just reported that Glazer now has 75%. They also said that if he gets to 90% he can force the other shareholders to sell them their shares.
Maybe it's just a matter of time until all major clubs are owned by billionairs and have become their private toys.

Top Bottom