English Leader?

Who should be the leader of the English?

• Alfred the Great

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Edward I

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Henry VIII

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Elizabeth I

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Oliver Cromwell

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Sir Robert Walpole

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Duke of Wellington

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Queen Victoria

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Sir Winston Churchill

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Other (please post suggestion)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
He was a man blinded by his own arrogance and self-assurance in the infalibility of his religious views. Present day members of the religious right please take note.

If he hadn't made such a balls-up domestically, such as banning almost everything that was popular and/or entertaining, and had not built an autocracy around himself, we may have been a republic to this day. *Sigh*.

Victoria! Victoria! The name alone conjures so many different images, and lives on in so many forms (place names, e.g.).

Arthur's kingdom fell apart when he died, Churchill was unpopular in peacetime, and Henry VIII, well, he was just mean.

But Vicki was popular, had a huge impact on culture, and established an empire (I guess she shares credit with Elizabeth for that) that still endures today, at least in a soft diplomatic-economic way, as the Commonwealth. Also she reigned for what, 70 years or so?

Just my 2c.

I voted for Churchill. It would be great to see different Churchill looks through the ages.

Henry V might have gotten my vote had he lived longer.

Elizabeth I gets many votes and everyone knows her dad but it was her grandfather (IMHO) who was greater than either. Henry VII ended the Wars of the Roses and laid the foundation for England's empire building. (I'd still rather see Churchill's pug in Civ III.)

Another thought would be Richard the Lionheart.

Originally posted by kittenOFchaos
Elfstone...a military dictatorship doesn't really come under the heading "long live the Republic". He was a bad man, but a good thing as "1066 and all that" surely stated!

Yes. I know.

I know who Cromwell is. I know what he did. I know what a military dictatorship is and how incompatible it is with a Republic.

Stop stating the obvious and telling me things I know!!!

When I said "Long live the Republic" I wasn't being totally serious.

Sorry. It wasn't your fault. I should have put in a smilie ;) to show I wasn't being serious.

Bear in mind that Victoria and Churchill were British leaders, not English leaders. If you use one of them, you should make England Britain and change the UU to "51st Highland Division" or something like that.

What's the difference? Drawing the distinction in this context is the same as drawing a distinction between Russia and the Soviet Union.

How about Paul McCartney? He's British and more popular than any of those singers. And he is an AWESOME singer!

It doesn't matter that he was not a political leader, he was knighted and is hailed as a rock legend

Vote for other to reflect your true view:

Richard III is the obvious choice!

Arguably, by pissing off the country enough to accept some quarter-wit bastard who was 768 slots from the throne (a.k.a. Henry VII), he made England what it is today!

(Actually, if someone could conjure up an Ian McKellen in uniform with that cool office as a backdrop, I would promise to be the chump when MP comes around and play England every time...)

Why not have arthur as a leader. Even tho we don't really KNOW that he even existed, from the tales we hear he could well be a valid leader.

Some other civ leaders were not of the nationality they represent, and so what if his empire fell apart after his death, the same happened with many others so that doesn't rule him out. Maybe he should be provided as an option, who knows? Only thing is, Civ tends to like to stick to factual informations.

Churchill wins my vote coz most of the others did not have to fight a ravaging maniac at the height of his strength:goodjob:

Originally posted by Richard III
(Actually, if someone could conjure up an Ian McKellen in uniform with that cool office as a backdrop, I would promise to be the chump when MP comes around and play England every time...)

heh, me too.

Originally posted by Park Ranger

But Vicki was popular, had a huge impact on culture, and established an empire (I guess she shares credit with Elizabeth for that) that still endures today, at least in a soft diplomatic-economic way, as the Commonwealth. Also she reigned for what, 70 years or so?

Just my 2c.

We still celebrate Queen Victoria's Birthday in Canada
(May 24 Weekend)

I can't decide between Elizabeth and Winston, but I'll go with Elizabeth just because she's female (don't want them to have to stick in another just to compensate:D)

Churchill saved England and the free democratic world from destruction by Hitler, at least untill the isolationist wimpy Americans got into the war. (And I can say that cause I am American)

Originally posted by Ozz

We still celebrate Queen Victoria's Birthday in Canada
(May 24 Weekend)

We celebrate Queen Victoria week in Ballater by having a ferret race on the village green!

BTW, I voted for Henry VIII, but only because I originate from Portsmouth, and it was 'Enry who made the city such an important one in Britain. He also knew how to treat his women! ;)

But Elizabeth probably had a greater global impact. Vicky, whilst presiding over a large Empire, saw it starting to decline, and was more a figurehead than a leader.

Nelson would be great for a Great Leader though (I'm biased here, though, 'cos I'm directly related to him!).

Top Bottom