1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nizef, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Here is a recap of the games in the Enjoyable Deity Games Experience (EDGE) series so far in 2020, (games from last year are listed on page 9 of this thread):
    42. the Mayans 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Piety challenge
    43. Siam (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Patronage partial challenge
    44. the Shoshone 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    45. Poland 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Honor challenge
    46. the Netherlands (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Liberty challenge
    47. the Aztecs 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    48. the Celts (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    49. the Zulus (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge
    50. Austria (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    51. Persia (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    52. the Ottomans (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
    53. Rome (Fractal, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    54. Songhai (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    55. the Incas (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    56. Russia 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    57. India 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), CV challenge
    58. Germany 3 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
    59. Byzantium 2 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Religion challenge
    60. the Iroquois (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Aesthetics challenge
    61. America 2 (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded), DomV challenge
    62. Sweden 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), Petra challenge
    63. Morocco 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial Commerce challenge
    64. England 3 (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial UN challenge
    65. Portugal 2 (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded), partial elimination challenge
    66. Egypt 2 (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)

2. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

It sounds like it is going very well. The Mayans are of course a very strong civ but I am still impressed.

3. beetle

beetle Deity

I really enjoyed this map. Ended having more difficulty than I expected, but that is okay! First I tried Liberty / Piety, but that really didn’t get anywhere, as Piety just does not have enough Culture. I reloaded to pick Ascetics as second try, and that was much better! It is alway nice when I can get liberty to work out.

Game was still a challenge, as there was a Cultural run-away. I had to replay the last ~30 turns several times, to keep the next-to-last civ alive, then win SV T327.

Trying this one next, after Gajah gave me a hard time in my last game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2020
  4. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Your cultural runaway was probably one of the red AIs? The one that was further away on this map is just strange. It can be more or less slumbering for ages and then boom - uses the UA and is relevant and competitive and threatens to run away with the game. The red AI that was nearby is more predictable, even if it also can be a pain in the late game. I will try to learn the secrets of Liberty+Piety. So far I can´t get it to work at all. Do you have any hints that you could share?

I like the UA a lot, but I always overextend and thus do poorly. EDGE#41 is better in that sense that the starting island makes it possible to speed up the early development a little bit. Make sure to find out early where your closest neighbour is.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2020
  5. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

EDGE#67: I am sailing
    This is a kind of tribute as well. A person close to me passed away last year and on the funeral we played Rod Stewart´s evergreen song. The person in question was very fond of sailing, especially with multihulls. Besides, we haven´t had a watery map this year. Instead of pondering on different fates, we are here going to focus on the good and positive things in life, even in this extraordinary time of a pandemia. Obviously we are playing as Polynesia with a YASS and some fish as well. We are playing on an unmodded Archipelago map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. The map is suitable both for peaceful and aggressive play. The start is very OP and you will have enough room to expand. Make sure that you research BW early, if you want to go down the warpath. So, life can be good after all. Enjoy!

I played my own game in accordance to HOF rules and also submitted win. There is a short recap in the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settled one tile deeper into the bay, which was a good move. Then Scoutx2-Shrine-Archer-Granary-Settlerx2. I got one of the first religions (Earth Mother/Tithe/Pagodas/RC/IP). I stole two workers but had to build a couple myself. First expand coastal to the E for the Whales, second expand on the island to the W near the NW. Oracle on t80 and 3 city NC on t82 and I reached Education on t108. No ancient nor classical wonders and no Iron nor Horses!

I had a nice midgame and built LToP, GT, PT and the Louvre. I was third to Renaissance and first to Archeology. I got 14 Antiquity sites. As you can se, I went all-in for a CV. But with only three cities, it was somewhat slow and I decided to expand a little and built two more cities. to get the techs. However, I was still first both to Industrial and Atomic. I went Order as did Portugal and Venice. Carthage was the only one to take Autocracy, but they had a crazy game: despite getting 89 (!) unhappiness from ideology pressure, they still had the most happiness! They were conquering left and right and also being culturally active. I conquered Venice myself.

The endgame was a loooooooooong excercise and I only got my CV on t349. This is my worst result that still has ended in a Deity win. It had less to do with the map though and more to do with my speedy game pace. Carthage and the Celts had culture in abundance and thus it took me so long. I was actually worried about loosing the game, so while waiting for the CV, I also prepared for a SV and I was about to launch when I finally got the culture needed (and the GMus). Painful end to an otherwise great game. SP: full Tradition, full Aesthetics, Exploration opener, full Rationalism and Order 7.

Attached Files:

6. penguin74

penguin74 Chieftain

well, the lockdown has given me some free time (Im in NY, its not pretty here), so I got to play my first full game in a while. Tried the england map as thats always my favorite civ.

Got a diplo victory on turn 356, not a great time, but its been a while, so im happy.

Spoiler :
    typical 4 city tradition. settled in place, 2nd city got KSM. took out Darius with longbows. managed to take most of egypt and denmarks lands, except the capitals. Germany was the runaway, but we were friends all game, up til the last 30 turns or so. they had launched 4 when I won, so if 1 CS had flipped after my turn ended, i probably would have lost as I was about 16 turns away from launching myself.

fun map. might try another this weekend

7. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Even if RL issues are grim at the moment, I am happy that you had fun with England. OP starting location, some nice expands and the power of LBs is a combination that will lead to a fun game. How did Assyria fare in your game?

8. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

EDGE#68: Rematch with the beautiful city
    I wanted a Deity HOF win with Sweden and thus I took a rematch after the Petra failure in EDGE#62. Stockholm is of course a beautiful city in RL and also here you have the chance to develop one of the most beautiful cities you will ever develop in Civ 5. In the late game (and not calculating two tundra tiles and a mountain) inside the three tile radius, the worst tile I could work had 3f1h and I had only two of those. The rest had higher yields! A hydroplant will be fantastic also for you. Here we have a YASS on an unmodded Pangaea map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. The start is VERY OP and you will have enough room to expand. Enjoy!

I played my own game in accordance to HOF rules and also submitted win. There is a short recap in the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settled on the hill next to the mountain to the E on t1. I stole 1 worker from Portugal, 1 from Austria and 1 from a CS. BO: Scoutx2-Shrine-Archer-Granary-Settlerx2-Scout-Settler. I needed one more scout than usual because I lost my Warrior in the stealing process. I got the the third or fourth religion (Earth Mother/Tithe/RC/Peace Gardens/Messiah). First expand to the E for Marble and Incense (and being a blocker city, since I have come to the conclusion not to trust Portugal), second expand along the river to the S (nice location and Sugar), the third to the W mostly to claim all that land. 4 city NC on t90 and I built Borobudur afterwards. I reached Education on t110.

I had a nice midgame and built Sistine, PT and Eiffel. I was fifth to Renaissance but first to Industrial. Right after that I took Vienna with Gatlings, she was spreading her dirty religion to my corners and I did not tolerate that. I left Maria Theresa with Salzburg only and eventually Dido put her out of her misery. Dido had a good game and ended it on 29 cities and even with differing Ideologies we were friends to the end. Dido also conveniently took out the other religion spammer, namely Spain. This way I could maintain a reasonable religion in my part of the world. The AIs went Autocracy or Order and I was the only one with Freedom. Thus I needed to work a lot with my culture and happiness but eventually everything was fine.

The lategame was not peaceful! Maria backstabbed&attacked me with GWBs and GWIs and I did not even have flight (although I had Infantry). After a 6-7 turns she took Sigtuna and I retook it the next turn. (I had to build some Triplanes and beelined Ballistics. Sigtuna was of course badly damaged but it was very important for the two sources of Oil). After that she would not give me peace for another 15 turns or so. In addition Babylon and Venice also declared war. Enrico sent a lot of outdated units but nothing threatening. I also had to fight Antananarivo, which I conquered towards the end of the war. Eventful and fun! After the war I focused on winning and wrapped up the game with a SV on t307. Perhaps not very impressive but given the long war, I think this was decent. Population was 37-29-27-19 (Vienna) -11 (Antananarivo) -10 (the unlucky Sigtuna). SP: full Tradition, Exploration opener, Commerce 2, full Rationalism and Freedom 7.

Attached Files:

9. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

EDGE#69: War academy, Part 1
    This is something like my training ground for warfare on Deity and it is also a tough nut to crack. I play a lot with this civ myself and thus it is natural that I have more games with them than with most other ones. I wanted to share this with you because I like the map so much. As you can see, the starting location is average at best and there is a lot of bad terrain on the map in most directions. Your workers will have to put in long hours to produce all the roads you need. Here we are playing as Germany on an unmodded Pangaea map with Large size and Epic speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. There are several rules to fulfil during your journey: 1. You have to settle at least five cities yourself (it is a Large map after all), 2. You have to found a religion (the easiest task here when you have scouted around) and 3. you have to achieve a DomV. For better players I would add a fourth target: Total DomV! This is a rough one, because even the peaceful AIs will have many cities in the late game and some of them insanely big, not mentioning the size of their armies... Should this even be presented in this series? Well, I admit, it is doubtful! Enjoy all the pain!

I have played this map four times, failing the first two, getting the undesired SV on the third attempt and only succeeding in a DomV at the fourth attempt. However, there is a short recap of my fourth try if you are interested.

Spoiler :

SIP and then Scoutx2-Granary-Settlerx2-Archer-Settler. 2 workers from a CS and 2 from Pacal. First expand to hook up Incense and Uluru, second to the SE for Truffles and Mt. Kailash and fourth to the S for Copper and blocking Assyrias expansion. 4 city NC on t129 and two more cities afterwards: fifth up N on the Ivory and the sixth to the NE for the Marble. Education on t170. Assyria took Venice early on.

The midgame was about catching up and going for Pacal with XBs and I took 3 cities (including Palenque) from him. But where to go after this? Assyria was expanding to the W and was painfully strong. I opted to also go W and went for Brazil with Gatlings and took Rio quite easily. Gandhi was my friend, so I could not go for him. It had to be Assyria next. I beelined for Dynamite and took Assur with Cavalry, Rifles and Artillery on t320 and I had to continue to kill Assyria to get both Venice and Marrakech. Finally on t367 I was so far and Assyria was more or less out of it. What then?. Unhappiness was becoming an alarming issue so I had to stop the warfare for now.

I opted to build my empire and get my science back on track. That took me almost 100 turns! I had basically only two opponents left (Gandhi had eaten Spain alive and Indonesia had done the same to Siam). So a Rocket artillery and Panzer divert attack on Indonesia (their naval superiority was alarming) and then getting the capitals with Atomic bombs and Xcoms. It took me more than 20 turns to actually control the situation. So only 15 city Gandhi left. With Nukes! I stopped counting but I needed something like 15 Atomic bombs and a sea of XComs to finish the game (once again I needed two capitals simultanuously). Madrid fell easily but I had to give all I had to push for Delhi (pop55!). Gandhi sent 10-12 Atomic bombs my way (mostly towards Rio and Imgur-Enul). Finally on t516 he cracked. What a game! For the reader I have to admit that I used S/L on a couple of occasions when I had missed some of the possibilities of the AI on the battlefield. On the fourth try, I think this is OK for this particular game, even if usually do not like it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:41 AM
  10. penguin74

penguin74 Chieftain

constantly at war with Germany. I joined in a few times to keep peace with Bismarck. Never a factor

11. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

EDGE#70: War academy, Part 2
    If you do not like peaceful games, this one is definitely for you. As usually there is room to expand but it is mostly behind terrible terrain. Therefore, it is much more likely that you will go to war very early to get some cities and grow your empire. Here we are playing as the Huns on an unmodded Pangaea map with Standard size and Standard speed. QC and QM are turned on and all VCs are enabled as usual. There is only one rule: you have to stay at war as much as possible! This might sound ridiculous, but since this is Standard speed you also need to develop your cities at the same time. I found my game to be very fun and even if I did only a minimum of conquering, I was still at war for most parts of my game (including nuclear war). Here you can train your war skills during different eras. Once again, there is a lot of bad terrain, so going all out with Horse Archers seems a little risky to me. This is action all day long! Enjoy!

I have played my game according to HOF rules and also submitted my win. There is a short recap behind the spoiler.

Spoiler :

Settle t1 two tiles to the S for hill/river/mountain and then Scout-Monument-Shrine-Worker-Horse Archer-Settler-Horse Archersx5. Additional workers from Antananarivo. Only expand up N on the tundra for one tile of GBR. Fourth religion (OwN/Tithe/RC/Plowshares (everything reasonable already gone)/RT). Then I took Venice very early and Kathmandu right after that. 2 city NC on t73 and I built HG after that. William already hated me and this set the tone for the reminder of the game. Education on t112.

The midgame was about war. William came after me with Pikes and Knights and I had to defend for a long time. He would not give me peace either. We ended having a 100 turn war. Simoultanuously I built Macchu Pichu and PT. William had a h-ll of a game, bought most of the CS, so I had to fight them as well. Thanks to my capital and Kathmandu (both better than Venice), I was catching up in technology despite the war. Since I hit Replaceable parts and Dynamite before William, I finally went on the offensive and our first looooooooooong war ended when I captured Rotterdam. Unfortunately he had such a vast sea of landunits that I could not push for Amsterdam. Sweden was killing Morocco and Songhai, while Assyria helped me out with William from time to time.

I was already swithing towards a SV, when William, right after the peace treaty ended, attacked me again, now with modern units. For the remainder of the game we were fighting but I was also building the spaceship parts. Then I made an (almost) fatal error: I nuked Amsterdam without checking if William hed the tech as well. Never ever do that! Sloppy play by me, but I was already quite frustrated and just wanted the win. Unfortunately he had Atomic bombs himself, and bombed Attila´s Court. I lost population and some units but more annoyingly three GS as well. William was gaining momentum and also nuked Rotterdam and Venice while he was at it. This reminded a little of Gandhi´s behavior in EDGE#69... Finally on t300-something we reached a peace deal. I built the remaining spaceship parts and used my faith (+ one from the International Space Station) for GS and one GE and limped over the finishing line on t324. Obviously I am no good at war on Deity/Standard speed but this was more due to the fact that I played too fast. Besides William had a good game. All in all, almost 220 turns of warfare in this game. Kind of ridiculous! :)

Attached Files:

12. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

I fooled around with this for a moment. It is really crowded because I had met two AIs by t4 and only Shaka was hiding until t14. War seems unavoidable. :)

You are welcome to upload your Spain game as well. I mean, I am all for diversity in this forum and we have not had a huge map before. Some readers might want to try it out.