[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Oh yea, I keep forgetting the UA, you would get Uluru in range immediately.
It was odd, because the UA skipped that most important tile. But settling also triggered the ruins for gold, so I bought the Uluru tile.
What pantheon did you pick though?
One With Nature of course. Very OP!
There's no desert up there right, so I assume the Gold and Silver one, which is fantastic on this map too.
Yes, three good choices, so founding is no problem.

In my game he didn´t do that well. Even with his UU he was on four cities (including Venice) and struggling against the united front of Polynesia and Babylon. But he was still the reason for me stating that there is a snake in every paradise. Heh. But seriously I had much more trouble with the Babs.
Thanks for the game. I did a lazy four city Tradition to NC, then two more cites after that. Peaceful SV T308. I might replay trying Liberty for a DomVC.

Thanks for the game. I did a lazy four city Tradition to NC, then two more cites after that. Peaceful SV T308. I might replay trying Liberty for a DomVC.

You are welcome. Who was the wonder-spammer in your game? In mine it was Polynesia. And Shaka was not much of a threat later in your game or what?

Who was the wonder-spammer in your game?
Austria and Siam were pretty much 50/50.
And Shaka was not much of a threat later in your game or what?
Not to me, I never even bothered bribing him away. Shaka ate Venice early and Polynesia and Babylon in the mid game. He did DOW me as I was working on Oracle and NC, but accepted white peace after five turns. Late game, he dropped a citadel to steal a 4th ring Cocoa from the city I had closest to him, but I had another, so even that offense did not motivate me.

After the Shoshone game anything more normal will feel dull. But much to your "frustration", I will still release a new game. The reasoning behind this has very little to do with Civ in itself, but I have myself come down with real life A-influenza and fooling around with Civ is about as much as I can manage at the moment. :(

So here we go. EDG3 is an unmodded Pangaea map, on standard pace and size. The civilization to play is America. As usual, all VCs are enabled. The AIs are relatively "nice" - for Deity that is, and there will be no Shaka this time. As you can see from the screenshot, the starting location is very good and you should be able to found 4-5 decent cities and religion is a possibility. Most of the resources needed will be found nearby. However, one of the strategic resources you will have to, hmm, "borrow" from your neighbour.

This looks to be relatively smooth, but at least in my game one of the AIs was snowballing. So maybe interesting after all? And one of the AIs was more or less "hiding". That is quite rare on Pangaea maps, at least in my experience.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• edg3washy.jpg
    edg3washy.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 331
  • EDG3Washington_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    699.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
I might replay trying Liberty for a DomVC.
My Liberty dom run was not strong enough. Shaka was a wall. The other AIs were not so lazy with their tech, and Rammy launch on T321 just as I was only just starting to progress against Shaka.
I am trying the Washington game.

Hi again,
This time I will share a totally different experience. EDG4 is an unmodded Continents map with standard size and speed with Denmark. It is much in the spirit of the other saves in this thread (as defined in the beginning of this thread), but as you can see from the screenshot, the start is quite bad and there are more limitations down the road... In my own game, I had huge problems with the early game. All VCs are enabled, but probably DomV should be the priority here?

Attachments

• edg4harald.jpg
    edg4harald.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 311
  • EDG4_Harald_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    647 KB · Views: 175
I appreciated the first three games quite a bit, especially the American map, which I am frustratingly close (but only close) to winning by dom…
…but as you can see from the screenshot, the start is quite bad and there are more limitations down the road... In my own game, I had huge problems with the early game…
Okay, so why exactly would you say this is an Enjoyable Deity Game?

I appreciated the first three games quite a bit, especially the American map, which I am frustratingly close (but only close) to winning by dom…
Okay, so why exactly would you say this is an Enjoyable Deity Game?

Point taken. But there are some positive things to work with: enough space and almost a guaranteed religion. My own playthrough was a little bit in the spirit of CDG26 with Polynesia.

I enjoyed your previous maps, but I am not feeling temped enough yet to both with this one yet…
…enough space and almost a guaranteed religion.
It is pretty rare not to haven enough space for four-city Tradition, and I get a religion about half the time.
My own playthrough was a little bit in the spirit of CDG26 with Polynesia.
How so? Polynesia I can get a CV. What does Harald (or this map) have going towards that?

I enjoyed your previous maps, but I am not feeling temped enough yet to both with this one yet…
It is pretty rare not to haven enough space for four-city Tradition, and I get a religion about half the time.How so? Polynesia I can get a CV. What does Harald (or this map) have going towards that?

Well, this is for sure more demanding than the previous ones. What can I say? Just don´t try it. It was not my intention to disappoint you, but I guess I just wanted some variation. I tried to compensate for the worse starting location by having more workers, and I think it worked reasonably well.

Hi again,
To celebrate Easter I figured that I would post a new map in the spirit of EDG, this time named EDG5. It is a standard sized Fractal map on standard speed with Theodora. The map has been modded with Really Advanced Setup. There is no shortage of space and most resources are easily available and, as you can see from the starting position, it will be easy to found a religion. All VCs are enabled and quick combat is on.

In my own opinion the map itself is very fun and definitely worthwhile trying out. Enjoy!

Attachments

• edg5theodora.jpg
    edg5theodora.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 352
  • EDG5Theodora_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    936.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
My Byzantium game ended with a lazy-ish and mostly peaceful SV on t303. I started with a slow 4 city NC and reached Education as late as t121. Due to the development being slow, two AIs beat me to Archaeology, thus complicating the desired CV. I went down the Freedom tree and at the end I had six cities with pop 49-32-30-27-24-16. With more aggressive settling, I could probably have founded 9 or 10 cities myself.

Last edited:
Hi there,
If ever, this is a game, called EDG6, that more or less requires liberty, I would go as far as stating it screams for liberty. That is much said of a tradition-traditionalist as myself. It is Bismarck on an unmodded Pangaea map with standard pace and size. All settings are on standard but quick combat is activated. There are three "red" AIs, two "yellow" ones and then two "blue-ish" ones.

Do you like founding cities? Here you can found 7-10 cities in reasonable locations. Do you like mining resources? Here you have almost all of them. What about NWs? You should be able to settle two of them early on. What about iron, horses, coal and aluminium? Here you have it all in abundance except for "only" two resources of horses. For oil you will have to conquer a little bit. But with liberty this is what you will do anyway… Imaging your own religion with two happiness buildings. Well, here you can possibly have that as well. Do you like it when barbs are stealing foreign workers and settlers? I played the map two times and on both occasions the barbs were good early allies. And if this was not good enough: the map itself is a little bit weird. Needless to say, early scouting is key. If you are ever going to play one of the games in this tree, I would recommend Sejong or this one. Have fun!

Attachments

• edg6bismarck.jpg
    edg6bismarck.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 370
  • EDG6Bismarck_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    784.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Hi again,
To celebrate Easter I figured that I would post a new map in the spirit of EDG, this time named EDG5. It is a standard sized Fractal map on standard speed with Theodora. The map has been modded with Really Advanced Setup. There is no shortage of space and most resources are easily available and, as you can see from the starting position, it will be easy to found a religion. All VCs are enabled and quick combat is on.

In my own opinion the map itself is very fun and definitely worthwhile trying out. Enjoy!

Start look crazy. Gonna try the map. Too bad it is with one of the worst civ :(

Edit: It's so easy to make money. I had 150gpt starting industrial era. Bought 3 factories + 4 Schools lol. Capital is already huge at 35pop T150

Last edited:
Start look crazy. Gonna try the map. Too bad it is with one of the worst civ :(

When I try Byzantium on an unmodded map, it is ALWAYS inferior starts with a weak civ. With my current skill level, it is mostly a struggle to crank out a win at all. I am really happy that you tried this one. The island to the W was a nice surprise, and I settled it in my game. Otherwise city placement seems to be pretty similar.

Finished the Byzantium game on T204 with Culture Victory. Strong map :) Can probably be sub 200 with better musician bomb planning.
I am speechless! It always takes me 260-320 turns to win and you do 204 turns "just like that". You surely did not have Internet, but did you even have NVC?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Acken, I have not opened your Spoiler post, since I don’t want to see the map, but I am very interested in hearing more about how your game went (but without naming the AIs). What was your first tree? Did you do anything with the UA/UU? How did you balance Aesthetics vs Rationalism? Did Ideology matter? Thanks!

Top Bottom