1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nizef, Feb 9, 2019.

1. mbbcam

mbbcam Chieftain

If I may be so bold, I would guess it is a lot to do with the player! You could give me any map you like and I'd never get near that.

2. AngryPidgeon

AngryPidgeon Chieftain

I tried a futurism strat in a multiplayer game today. I feel like I'm missing something. I timed all 3 great people to come out right as I got Futurism. I had a garden in 2 of 3 and World Congress bonus. And a national epic. I got 3 of each Great Person after many turns. My opponent who had captured a few cities went to 15% influential. It bought me some time because getting that much sent him into -20 unhappiness, which he recouped by setting the world ideology to Freedom.

Ive tried futurism one other time. Both times I felt it is nowhere close to getting a victory. But I had forgotten you can purchase a ton of these if you have a great religion and pick Glory to God by going at least 4/6 piety. Maybe makes futurism kick more.

I've had bad luck using culture in general. Against AI I usually win Diplomatic before anything else.

3. so_what

so_what Chieftain

Thanks for sharing, I am comtemplating between EDG5 and TSG 175 for my first CV. Both maps look really interesting. I will try to have a go on one of them when I have time over the weekends. Though for EDG5 I will most likely go Order. :)

4. Acken

Acken Chieftain

Futurism is a cheesy against AI policy, I wouldn't expect it to do well in multiplayer as CV in general since it requires some cooperation from other players.

5. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

;) Just making sure that we are not revealing to much information, if somebody else wants to try out the game. I am not sure of the semantics here, but oblique seems a little bit deceptive while clandestine is "only" secret. If this is the right interpretation, then I guess clandestine is the right word. :)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  6. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

I hope you do not think that I am patronizing, but of those two, I would recommend EDG5. The starting position is so fantastic that you get off to a good start. If you go for GotM175 (which is my all time favourite), I suggest that you read the AAR postings first. It is one of the hardest games I have ever tried. Actually GotM160 is probably the best game to get your first Deity CV.

7. penguin74

penguin74 Chieftain

Haven't played much in a while (stupid WOW patches), but based on that recommendation, may be fun to get back into it. EDG5 it is

8. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Thanks for these. I am trying this one for Dom, Liberty/Honor hybrid. Passed on OWN for Earth Mother. Waiting on UU to get started.

9. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

There were several good options for a nice religion. I used DF as pantheon and then Tithe / Pagodas / Divine Inspiration and Messiah. I like to start in a central position when I play Mongolia (to have easy access to my neighbours). On this map, only the capital of the white guy to the west is a little more difficult to reach. In my game the orange guy up north gave me some military trouble but otherwise it was smooth. I had 8-9 Keshiks with range and logistics. That is awesome. I upgraded some of them all the way to Tanks and took the capital of the crazy dark red lady with those. The white guy went down with Atomic Bombs and Xcom Squads. I hope that you will have a similarly smooth and enjoyable experience.

Spoiler Wonders I built in EDG9 :
    Karakorum: Big Ben, Broadway, Christo Redentor, Eiffel Tower, Great Firewall, Hanging Gardens, Hubble Space Telescope, Kremlin, Oracle, Porcelain Tower and Sistine Chapel. Beshbalik: Neuschwanstein.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. Nizef

Nizef Chieftain

It is time for EDG10. This time the task is to play as Spain on a Terra map. The map is size large and the speed is standard. It has been modified with Really Advanced Setup. All VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is on. As you can see for yourself, you have six (!) luxuries in range of your capital. The starting location and the nearby area contain some surprises, which means that you have to plan the locations of your expansions with great care. The strategic resources are easy to access with the exception of Iron. Actually, I got so desperate for Iron that I decided to conquer an AI capital to solve the problem (but of course you can just research Astronomy early on, and sail away to an ironrich place since this is a Terra map). The teaser this time around is that I had three cities and a religion on t24 in my game. It does not get smoother than that on Deity. However, make sure to build an army, because there are a lot of deceptive AIs on the map.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  11. beetle

beetle Chieftain

I missed founding, but I have tons of faith. I did a Liberty/Honor hybrid. Two caps pretty quick after the UU came online, but now my veteran Keshiks are dying to Rifles as I DOW'd the stronger of the two AI left in the game (each of which has killed one of their neighbors. T306, I am first to Ideologies, Autocracy of course.