[BNW] Enjoyable Deity Games

Ideology is a tricky subject for CV. Assuming no futurism shenanigans, either you go for the best tree (Freedom) or you go for the tree most likely picked by the AI (Order).
I tried a futurism strat in a multiplayer game today. I feel like I'm missing something. I timed all 3 great people to come out right as I got Futurism. I had a garden in 2 of 3 and World Congress bonus. And a national epic. I got 3 of each Great Person after many turns. My opponent who had captured a few cities went to 15% influential. It bought me some time because getting that much sent him into -20 unhappiness, which he recouped by setting the world ideology to Freedom.

Ive tried futurism one other time. Both times I felt it is nowhere close to getting a victory. But I had forgotten you can purchase a ton of these if you have a great religion and pick Glory to God by going at least 4/6 piety. Maybe makes futurism kick more.

I've had bad luck using culture in general. Against AI I usually win Diplomatic before anything else.

Map mostly. Freedom is fine with Mass media and landmark.
Thanks for sharing, I am comtemplating between EDG5 and TSG 175 for my first CV. Both maps look really interesting. I will try to have a go on one of them when I have time over the weekends. Though for EDG5 I will most likely go Order. :)

I tried a futurism strat in a multiplayer game today. I feel like I'm missing something. I timed all 3 great people to come out right as I got Futurism. I had a garden in 2 of 3 and World Congress bonus. And a national epic. I got 3 of each Great Person after many turns. My opponent who had captured a few cities went to 15% influential. It bought me some time because getting that much sent him into -20 unhappiness, which he recouped by setting the world ideology to Freedom.

Ive tried futurism one other time. Both times I felt it is nowhere close to getting a victory. But I had forgotten you can purchase a ton of these if you have a great religion and pick Glory to God by going at least 4/6 piety. Maybe makes futurism kick more.

I've had bad luck using culture in general. Against AI I usually win Diplomatic before anything else.

Futurism is a cheesy against AI policy, I wouldn't expect it to do well in multiplayer as CV in general since it requires some cooperation from other players.

Just a lurker, but I am diggin' the, what, clandestine? (maybe oblique is better?) references in this thread.

;) Just making sure that we are not revealing to much information, if somebody else wants to try out the game. I am not sure of the semantics here, but oblique seems a little bit deceptive while clandestine is "only" secret. If this is the right interpretation, then I guess clandestine is the right word. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, I am comtemplating between EDG5 and TSG 175 for my first CV. Both maps look really interesting. I will try to have a go on one of them when I have time over the weekends. Though for EDG5 I will most likely go Order. :)

I hope you do not think that I am patronizing, but of those two, I would recommend EDG5. The starting position is so fantastic that you get off to a good start. If you go for GotM175 (which is my all time favourite), I suggest that you read the AAR postings first. It is one of the hardest games I have ever tried. Actually GotM160 is probably the best game to get your first Deity CV.

Haven't played much in a while (stupid WOW patches), but based on that recommendation, may be fun to get back into it. EDG5 it is

It is time for EDG9. This is an unmodded Standard sized Pangaea map with Mongolia.
Thanks for these. I am trying this one for Dom, Liberty/Honor hybrid. Passed on OWN for Earth Mother. Waiting on UU to get started.

Thanks for these. I am trying this one for Dom, Liberty/Honor hybrid. Passed on OWN for Earth Mother. Waiting on UU to get started.

There were several good options for a nice religion. I used DF as pantheon and then Tithe / Pagodas / Divine Inspiration and Messiah. I like to start in a central position when I play Mongolia (to have easy access to my neighbours). On this map, only the capital of the white guy to the west is a little more difficult to reach. In my game the orange guy up north gave me some military trouble but otherwise it was smooth. I had 8-9 Keshiks with range and logistics. That is awesome. I upgraded some of them all the way to Tanks and took the capital of the crazy dark red lady with those. The white guy went down with Atomic Bombs and Xcom Squads. I hope that you will have a similarly smooth and enjoyable experience.

Spoiler Wonders I built in EDG9 :
Karakorum: Big Ben, Broadway, Christo Redentor, Eiffel Tower, Great Firewall, Hanging Gardens, Hubble Space Telescope, Kremlin, Oracle, Porcelain Tower and Sistine Chapel. Beshbalik: Neuschwanstein.

Last edited:
It is time for EDG10. This time the task is to play as Spain on a Terra map. The map is size large and the speed is standard. It has been modified with Really Advanced Setup. All VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is on. As you can see for yourself, you have six (!) luxuries in range of your capital. The starting location and the nearby area contain some surprises, which means that you have to plan the locations of your expansions with great care. The strategic resources are easy to access with the exception of Iron. Actually, I got so desperate for Iron that I decided to conquer an AI capital to solve the problem (but of course you can just research Astronomy early on, and sail away to an ironrich place since this is a Terra map). The teaser this time around is that I had three cities and a religion on t24 in my game. It does not get smoother than that on Deity. However, make sure to build an army, because there are a lot of deceptive AIs on the map.

Attachments

• edg10isabella.jpg
    edg10isabella.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 246
  • EDG10Isabella_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    961.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
There were several good options for a nice religion.
I missed founding, but I have tons of faith. I did a Liberty/Honor hybrid. Two caps pretty quick after the UU came online, but now my veteran Keshiks are dying to Rifles as I DOW'd the stronger of the two AI left in the game (each of which has killed one of their neighbors. T306, I am first to Ideologies, Autocracy of course.

Now I present to you EDG11. We are back to a standard sized map, this time a Continents map, and standard speed. But the fun part is that the starting locations are distributed on three land masses and also otherwise I really liked the looks of this map. The civ to play is Carthage. All VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is on. As you can see for yourself, the starting location is boosted with Really Advanced Setup. And believe me, you might need it! My first try was a spectacularly failed military campaign, actually a little like the Punic wars... The other time around I tried a peaceful approach and won, but only with a thin margin. From this game I can say, that when an AI builds Prora on t180 (and only I and one other AI was even in the Industrial era), you know that you have a tough fight to win the game. Actually, this one reminded me a little of GotM175. All in all, this is clearly a more difficult challenge than many other games in the EDG-series (at least for me). On the other hand, the starting position and the land around it is quite strong and will help you greatly to catch up. It might be useful to research Bronze Working early, to reveal Iron on the map. The rest you can find near your starting location.

And two more things: 1. The AIs were handpicked (roughly) either on the basis of historical or geographical connection. Unfortunately Tyre is not one of the CS. It would have been fun to steal a worker from them as Carthage. :) 2. The tile directly SE of Sri Pada is actually a mountain tile even if it looks like plains.

Attachments

• edg11didostart.jpg
    edg11didostart.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 266
  • EDG11Dido_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
One more reflection on the endgame in EDG11.

Spoiler The endgame :
I won a SV on t288. Alexander only lacked one tech and one spaceship part and I think he would have launched before t300.

I really did enjoy my EDG109 experience (edgE).
T306, I am first to Ideologies, Autocracy of course.
Game took me another 200 turns, but none of the AI had SS parts much influence, so the game felt pretty smooth. I need to try more slower-pace games!

I am trying EDGE 11 next.

Last edited:
I really did enjoy my EDG10 experience (edgE).Game took me another 200 turns, but none of the AI had SS parts much influence, so the game felt pretty smooth. I need to try more slower-pace games!

I am trying EDGE 11 next.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed it. I actually like Epic speed better than Standard speed when I go down the war path. I also enjoy it on bigger maps, where moving around otherwise would take too long for the units to stay competitive. I will most certainly wait for your reactions to EDG11. I just finished it yesterday and I was so upbeat that I posted it directly afterwards.

I liked your idea about calling the games EDGE.

Last edited:
Here is a short recap of the games in the Enjoyable Deity Games Experience (EDGE) series (formerly only EDG) so far:

1. Korea (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
2. the Shoshone (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
3. America (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
4. Denmark (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
5. Byzantium (Fractal, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS)
6. Germany (Pangaea, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
7. Polynesia (Small Continents Plus, Standard speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
8. Brazil (Continents, Standard speed, Large size, Modded with RAS)
9. Mongolia (Pangaea, Epic speed, Standard size, Unmodded)
10. Spain (Terra, Standard speed, Large size, Modded with RAS)
11. Carthage (Continents, Standard speed, Standard size, Modded with RAS).

Just doing a mid-game report on EDG5 (since I'm a sporadic player, not sure when can I finish it). I would say the map is really amazing. While the map is definitely heavily geared towards tradition play, I want to test and see how it fares on liberty.

Basically, I settled 6 cities (though 2 of them are at really poor spots). Researched Education at 121t. Soon after, my spy stole banking and astronomy. At 146 turn I'm already leading the world in Science, and managed to build forbidden palace, sistine chapel, leaning tower and global theatre. I didn't bother with religon at all, but a war with Maya gave me loads of workers and 3 Great Prophets (which I planted 2 and used the last to spread the Mayan religion, since they have pagodas). So far, it seems pretty likely for a sub 230t CV.
Spoiler 146t :
edg5.1.jpg

Last edited:
Here comes another hammer. Well, I decided to upload EDGE12. The task is to play Monty on a standard sized Lakes map. The game is unmodded, the speed is Epic, all VCs are enabled and Quick Combat is on. I am not much of an warmonger, especially on Deity, but here it was all rock´n´roll. I won a DomV on t380 (game points 6968) and should probably have done it faster. Floating Gardens are just awesome for fast early game development (remember to research the Wheel early). If you are familiar with the Lakes map, you probably know that it is a little smaller than Pangaea or Continents maps. That said (and with only 4 luxuries reasonably near), this game is the exception to the "at least four good city locations rule". A fast 3 city NC and I reached Education on t155. From there on, you can do whatever you want of the game. I certainly did and it blew me away! This was one of the most enjoyable and easiest DomVs ever on Deity for me. I certainly hope that your journey is equally smooth. As a sidenote, I did found a religion, and it gave me over 90 fpt, so I enjoyed the benefit of 3 extra GS and 3 extra GE. That made the journey even smoother.

Attachments

• edge12Monty.jpg
    edge12Monty.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 200
  • EDG12Montezuma_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    1 MB · Views: 141
Now I present to you EDG11. We are back to a standard sized map, this time a Continents map, and standard speed. But the fun part is that the starting locations are distributed on three land masses and also otherwise I really liked the looks of this map. The civ to play is Carthage.
Another great map, thank you. Not a push-over, but quite nice. I build Monument first to get the Sri Pada tile asap. I filled out Liberty after Tradition, which was pretty unusual for me too.

It took me forever to clear the continent, but no hate from that, even though that was after WC. Turtled to a Freedom SV on T335, I only bought one part, and even that saved me zero turns. One civ had 5 parts, so it was pretty close.
And two more things: 1. The AIs were handpicked (roughly) either on the basis of historical or geographical connection.
Thanks for that!
Unfortunately Tyre is not one of the CS. It would have been fun to steal a worker from them as Carthage. :)
Please give me the history lesson. Was that one of TheodoraDido’s husbands?

Last edited:
Another great map, thank you. Not a push-over, but quite nice. I build Monument first to get the Sri Pada tile asap. I filled out Liberty after Tradition, which was pretty unusual for me too.

It took me forever to clear the continent, but no hate from that, even though that was after WC. Turtled to a Freedom SV on T335, I only bought one part, and even that saved me zero turns. One civ had 5 parts, so it was pretty close.

Thanks for that!

Please give me the history lesson. Was that one of Theodora’s husbands?

It makes me happy that you liked it. Thanks for trying it out! Based on the mythology (also used by Firaxis), Dido was the sister of king Pygmalion of Tyre. When the king killed her husband, she took her riches and set sail for unknown land, got ashore in north Africa (near today´s Tunis, capital of Tunisia) and founded the city of Carthage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom