Ethnic Citystyles

@frekk, this is probably due to the fact that your new buildings use the same iBatchgroup as the already existing cityset. Try to change either buildingset to iBatchgroup:1 and the other to iBatchgroup:0...

I've since managed to figure that one out. Still, it doesn't really solve my problem. You only seem to get the two iBatchGroups (although I haven't experimented with iBatchgroup:2 yet, I expect it wouldn't work).

This causes some difficulty if you're trying to use three or more different citysets all present in the same era, so you can't have a different cityset for each era with persistant buildings in later eras. You can alternate a bit so you can have more than three citysets through the course of the artstyle through all the eras, but 2 is the limit in any single era. For persistance, you could therefore really only have 1 persistant style for all eras (or 1 persistant for half the eras and another for the other half, or whatever). At least, this is what I've been able to gather from experimentation.

Individual Era Unit Art Styles
Is this not applicable to CityStyles as well? Or does unit art have much more leeway in what is possible?

City styles are already set up that way, without needing any modding (other than defining the art in xml, of course). You can use a different city set for each era. Actually you can use 2 different sets mixed up a bit for each era.

What you can't do, is have a city set for each era with persistant bits lasting all the way through; because you can only have 2 sets, or elements of 2 sets, in any particular era.

You can see in the citylsystem that Geomodder tried to exceed this, for instance in the industrial era for the south american artstyle it looks like he wanted to use bits from the renaissance meditteranean, industrial european, and classical meditteranean sets, but he had to comment out all the classical meditteranean bits because he was up to 3 sets.

Geo, should I wait with the next update of VD? (i.e. anything to be expected in the next 1-2-3 weeks?)

3 weeks is feasable (sp?). The Chinese, Japanese, Southeast Asian, Arab, Crescent, African and Egyptian artstyles should be done by then.

I've since managed to figure that one out. Still, it doesn't really solve my problem. You only seem to get the two iBatchGroups (although I haven't experimented with iBatchgroup:2 yet, I expect it wouldn't work).

ibatchgroup:2 doesn't work. The TotalRealism team was so kind to test that in the past.

This causes some difficulty if you're trying to use three or more different citysets all present in the same era, so you can't have a different cityset for each era with persistant buildings in later eras. You can alternate a bit so you can have more than three citysets through the course of the artstyle through all the eras, but 2 is the limit in any single era. For persistance, you could therefore really only have 1 persistant style for all eras (or 1 persistant for half the eras and another for the other half, or whatever). At least, this is what I've been able to gather from experimentation.

The only way you can have cityset buildings from 3 different citysets show up ingame is to create a hybrid set yourself. For instance putting euro-medieval and euro-renaissance buildings in a new set, and use it together with say the modern set.

3 weeks is feasable (sp?). The Chinese, Japanese, Southeast Asian, Arab, Crescent, African and Egyptian artstyles should be done by then.

Great, I'll wait for it then.

No, there isn't. Not in the version I'm working on anyway. :p
Remember, the SEA artstyle was already redone -and checked. ;)

No, there isn't. Not in the version I'm working on anyway. :p
Remember, the SEA artstyle was already redone -and checked. ;)

Cool! I'm really looking forward to the new version!

BTW Geo, are you considering stuff like poly count and texture size?

Cool! I'm really looking forward to the new version!

I hope yes! Since the version 6.1 has been release(and that you resolve the bug of the polycounts) i didn't have any memory allocation error!

I look at the nif's kb size, and how complex it looks in nifskope/sceneviewer. But sometimes there are simply not enough models available, or the high(er) kb models are not really appropriate for a national wonder (meaning it only needs to be generated once for a civ).
Polycount is also the main reason I tend to let all artstyles use the same graphics as much as possible once the modern/future era kicks in. Empires are largest then and have the most units. I'm not talking citysets here in the modern era, but they do look similar in the future era.
Can't do much on the number of texture files a model uses, except reducing their resolution. But that's finishing work so to speak.

That's a Colonization mod, and I already answered that question one or two pages ago. ;)

I have read the thread. I just didn't realise it was mentioned earlier. Thanks for your useful contribution though.

I have read the thread. I just didn't realise it was mentioned earlier. Thanks for your useful contribution though.

I'm helpful 90-95% of the time, as noted in the 3.19 patch thread, I've personally answered the same question more than once... Every now and then I can't stop a little attempt at humour/sarcasm. :)

Civvers and CivFanatics are fairly helpful compared to a lot of places scattered about the WildWildWeb. The community here is much healthier than most.

Top Bottom