[UNIT] Europa Universalis IV Renaissance Units

Say, do you mind if I modify these (and your other ship units) for my flavor module for FFH? I'd basically use them as a baseline from which to expand into race specific custom units for stuff like dwarves and elves and such.

Also, what animations do I use with these?

Last edited:
Spoiler Cool. Thanks. In case you were wondering here is the first of the derivatives I came up with: :

What tools do you use to extract these units from EU4? Is there like a 3d max plugin I could use for paradox games?

I found that page as well. But I don't really have even the most remote idea about the use of any modeling tool other than 3D max. I just newer touched them. So I was hoping someone knew some max plugin or something I could use for that.

This being said, I worked with the ship models uploaded on this thread a lot and by god are they huge. I can see why Paradox games run so badly now. The models on screen are tiny yet they easily have an order of magnitude more polygons than a standard civ model. In some cases I've managed to trim the polycount by as much as a factor of 10 without loosing visual fidelity.

And that's before any optimization. Just flat out cutting out things like 3 faces connected on a single pixel, but it's not a single pixel but 3 pixels in the same spot or two identical faces overlapping. That sort of thing.

I am working on a massive flavor module for the FFH submod AOE. And part of that is making flavor ship sets for the upcoming module that expands and revamps the ship tree. You can find more about that and my other related work here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ppq-flavor-module.620888/

And a large part of that work has been taking these ships here and giving them a massive wholesale overhaul. We are talking proper bone skinning to make the cannon and sails work properly, optimization to shrink the models down to size. The works.

Although I've mostly not published most of my ships on account of the fact that they are a huge package that's yet to come out. Probably circa this new year. I am 25 of 98 models in.

Last edited:
In that case feel free to look at my thread occasionally and see if you can use any of the flavor units for your purposes. Just remember to follow the instructions given in credits.txt.

Honestly I wish everyone would adopt my crediting system. It keeps track of who did what with which unit and where he got it from. And does so on a per unit basis to minimize overhead in mods and future reuse.

So I've added one of the ships to civ colonization, and used the galleon kfm. Everything seems to be working just fine, but the ship doesn't wobble sideways like all other ships... any ideas? is it the kfm?

So I've added one of the ships to civ colonization, and used the galleon kfm. Everything seems to be working just fine, but the ship doesn't wobble sideways like all other ships... any ideas? is it the kfm?
The ships aren't really rigged at all beyond the bare minimum. The sails don't move, the cannon don't really match up etc. I had to do most of that work (as well as improvement and simplification) for the ones I used for my flavor module. So check that out and you should find at least 50% of these but working properly in there, just with different textures.

Thank you for the quick reply. Is there any easy way of finding them? Having to install all the prerequisites of your submod would be a bit of a headache right now :/
I tried nifskope but it refuses to run on windows 7 lol
So would it be enough to copy over the nif, or is it the kfm that I'd need, or both? Am still new to this, so still figuring things out ^_^

Try running Nifskope as administrator. If you haven't tried already.
Out of curiosity I checked out the East India man. Tried swapping it into the galleon. Nothing...
Then imported into blender to check under the hood. It's not rigged at all. So, not going to do anything with any KFM.

Which ship are you wanting to use?

Thank you for the quick reply. Is there any easy way of finding them? Having to install all the prerequisites of your submod would be a bit of a headache right now :/
I tried nifskope but it refuses to run on windows 7 lol
So would it be enough to copy over the nif, or is it the kfm that I'd need, or both? Am still new to this, so still figuring things out ^_^
Nope. There is no easier way than downloading the thing from the download database and unzipping it. That I am afraid is the minimum barrier for entry to use anything on this forum,

Also, you absolutely need nifscope. Try different versions, running it as admin or in windows XP comparability.

Nope. There is no easier way than downloading the thing from the download database and unzipping it. That I am afraid is the minimum barrier for entry to use anything on this forum,

I meant installing BtS and then the chain of mods and submods to get to yours...

Also, you absolutely need nifscope.

Yeah after digging on 5 year old modding forums I found some kind souls sharing old versions. Apparently nifskope's team decided to purge all old versions off the internet, and windows 7 support with it, but now I got an old one working :)

Which ship are you wanting to use?

Galliot, early frigate, heavy frigate, early carrack, carrack, galleon and war galleon.
I've just discovered PPQ's credit .txt files make it easy to search for all entries from this source though, so that's nice.

I meant installing BtS and then the chain of mods and submods to get to yours....
You don't have to do any of that. You aren't trying to run the game, just look for files. You can do that literally by just downloading the mod, opening the folders and staring at them using nifscope. You don't even have to have an installation of CIV on your PC to do it. And I see you've already discovered my crediting system as well.

Top Bottom