1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Europa Universalis IV Renaissance Units

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by ramzay1945, Nov 20, 2017.

1. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Say, do you mind if I modify these (and your other ship units) for my flavor module for FFH? I'd basically use them as a baseline from which to expand into race specific custom units for stuff like dwarves and elves and such.

Also, what animations do I use with these?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  2. ramzay1945

ramzay1945 Knyaz

They use the animation of Eastindiaman. You can supply any other.

And of course you can use my models in any mod. :)

3. PPQ_Purple

Spoiler Cool. Thanks. In case you were wondering here is the first of the derivatives I came up with: :

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Hey Ramzay just wondering if your still going to tackle possibly the most exotic of the naval units: India. It would be greatly appreciated, don't think for a second your work isn't.

Xyth likes this.
  5. PPQ_Purple

What tools do you use to extract these units from EU4? Is there like a 3d max plugin I could use for paradox games?

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

7. PPQ_Purple

I found that page as well. But I don't really have even the most remote idea about the use of any modeling tool other than 3D max. I just newer touched them. So I was hoping someone knew some max plugin or something I could use for that.

This being said, I worked with the ship models uploaded on this thread a lot and by god are they huge. I can see why Paradox games run so badly now. The models on screen are tiny yet they easily have an order of magnitude more polygons than a standard civ model. In some cases I've managed to trim the polycount by as much as a factor of 10 without loosing visual fidelity.

And that's before any optimization. Just flat out cutting out things like 3 faces connected on a single pixel, but it's not a single pixel but 3 pixels in the same spot or two identical faces overlapping. That sort of thing.

8. Sword_Of_Geddon

Just curious but what sorts of ships have you created. Ships are some of my favorite units.

9. PPQ_Purple

I am working on a massive flavor module for the FFH submod AOE. And part of that is making flavor ship sets for the upcoming module that expands and revamps the ship tree. You can find more about that and my other related work here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ppq-flavor-module.620888/

And a large part of that work has been taking these ships here and giving them a massive wholesale overhaul. We are talking proper bone skinning to make the cannon and sails work properly, optimization to shrink the models down to size. The works.

Although I've mostly not published most of my ships on account of the fact that they are a huge package that's yet to come out. Probably circa this new year. I am 25 of 98 models in.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  10. Sword_Of_Geddon

I've been wanting to do a fantasy mod, called ages of fantasy right now. The idea is you'd progress from an age of folklore, to mythology, to high fantasy, pirate/adventure fantasy, steampunk, atomicpunk and finally cyberpunk.

11. PPQ_Purple

In that case feel free to look at my thread occasionally and see if you can use any of the flavor units for your purposes. Just remember to follow the instructions given in credits.txt.

12. Sword_Of_Geddon

Of coarse. I've found use for anything fantasy related for legendary civilizations, like Atlantis.

13. PPQ_Purple

Honestly I wish everyone would adopt my crediting system. It keeps track of who did what with which unit and where he got it from. And does so on a per unit basis to minimize overhead in mods and future reuse.