European football updates from our perspective(s)

More like 4-0 for Barca.

Woohoo, Standard Liège lost 3-1 to a mediocre Brussels.
If Genk wins todaytrailing by 3 points for the 3rd place (instead of 4 last week) and 8/9 point for 1st place (instead of 11)

I'ma kill someone if they lose this evening in Lier (18th and last)

Did anybody see the applause the Bernabeu gave Ronaldinho? :eek:

Also, since this thread seems to have killed the English Football Thread (and most others too...) I'll post this here: Peter Crouch :lol:.

Benitez has made the blunder of the century...£7m??! :crazyeye:

I watched the game last night between Barça and Madrid. What a game! It was one of the greatest performances, collectively and individually, that I ever had the privilege to witness live or on TV. Collectively by Barcelona: they were just fantastic, it seemed like their game was being controled by a superior mastermind, a god of some sort, the way they defended and then passed the ball among each other with such a chemistry that I was in awe. Simply amazing, they won 3-0 in the Bernabeu, but a 6 or 7 goals to nil would have been a fairer picture of what happened on the pitch. Then again, maybe it was Real Madrid that sucked beyond belief...
Individually by Ronaldinho. The only player that I ever saw playing like this in a game was Maradona in the WC of 1986. He humiliated all the defenders of Real Madrid each time he touched the ball (Salgado and Garcia in particular must still be seeing him dribbling past them every time they close their eyes), with artistic touches and dribbles that challenge anyone's imagination. Then he also scored two monumental goals. The scary thing is that Barcelona already have another Ronaldinho on the making with Lionel Messi, the 18 year old argentinian prodigy. He was unlucky last night in the shooting department, where if more effective in front of the goal (and there was a golie less inspired than Casillas on the goal, best player for Madrid by a mile) he'd have scored a couple himself too. But with Ronnie on the left and Messi on the right, Barça has a unique chance to become a true legendary team in the coming years...

Oh yeah, domesticly, Braga, the leaders, beat Benfica yesterday. They were loosing 2-1 in the 90th minute, but scored a couple to win by 3-2. Porto beat Académica 5-1, best result of the season, with 4 goals coming from Argentina (argentinian internationals Lisandro Lopez and Lucho Gonzalez a couple each). This is a good result to boost the team's confidence for the vital CL game next wednesday.
Now the table is like this:
Braga-26
Porto-24
Nacional-24
Setúbal-20

I must be tired... What I meant to say above was that Braga scored the 2-1 in the 87th minute or so, and then, in injuree time, Benfica drew, only to see Braga scoring the winning goal a couple of minutes later.

A great day for Racing Genk !

Genk won 1-2 to Lierse SK (away) and now only trails by 3 points for 3rd and 8 points for first place. We're still ranked only 7th though, but there seems to be an upwards trend.

Two major upsets this week. Leader Standard de Liège has lost 3-1 on the the pitch of Brussels (8th) and second placed RSC Anderlecht lost 2-1 today in Westerlo (6th)
Now 7 teams are within 8 points of eachother, quite nice when nothing seems decided yet (like it does in France or England f.i.)

Hearts only manged to draw 1-1 away to Aberdeen. Not a bad result, except that Celtic stomped Rangers 3-0, and that leaves us two points behind Celtic...

Its looking like Celtic are heading for the title which goes some way to making up for their dreadful start to the season.

Barcelona 3 - 1 Werder Bremen

It showed once again that the defense isn't capable of playing really good opponents. Add to that a horrible goalkeeper mistake and the 3 - 1 clearly became a well-deserved result. However, that can happen playing in Barcelona, what really sucks is Klose's injury.

All matches of the Belgian league have been postponed due to the snowfall last night. Ridiculous, as in the west there's no snow at all, the rest has 2 to 8 cm and 20cm Ardennes (no match played there except in Liège)
Three damn inches and they start cancelling again.

One Bundesliga match (Duisburg vs. Cologne) has been postponed today. The rest went as scheduled. Sadly also:

Schalke 04 2 - 1 Werder Bremen

A totally annoying loss after having been the better team. Yet again an individual blunder put us behind after just 80 seconds...
Valdez tried his best to replace Klose and Klasnic and Frings was fielded as a forward, which of course isn't perfect. But the match was rather well played and should definetely have deserved a point, normally more.

Hearts managed only a 1-1 draw at Motherwell, but this brought us back within a point of Celtic, who lost 1-0 at home to the hapless Dunfermline :eek:

Rangers, meanwhile, lost to the Hi-bees, making the first time ever in their history that they have gone eight consecutive competitive matches without a win.... :lol: (I can't remember seeing Gainy Bo round these forums recently...)

Local boys Colchester Utd put 5 past Gillingham, to mark their sixth consecutive win. Could something other than low to mid-table obscurity beckon for the Us ?

Hey Lambert, when was it the last time the scottish champion wasn't one of Celtic or Rangers? Do you think Hearts can do it this season? And finally, do you think all that mess about the coach sacking a few weeks ago may be costing you the lead at the moment?

Hitro said:
Barcelona 3 - 1 Werder Bremen

It showed once again that the defense isn't capable of playing really good opponents. Add to that a horrible goalkeeper mistake and the 3 - 1 clearly became a well-deserved result. However, that can happen playing in Barcelona, what really sucks is Klose's injury.

Indeed,
These days, not one defense in the world will have an easy day playing Barca.

@MCDread. For three years in a row, 83-85, neither Celtic nor Rangers won the title (Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, Aberdeen). Hearts lead the league for the most of the next season, being overtaken on the last day of the season by Celtic. We've only had Celtic and Rangers since :(

Can Hearts do it this year ? Well, no, I don't think they can, to be honest. Still, Rangers are as bad as they've been for 20 years, and Celtic are pretty weak as well - too many old and very young players. And being 2nd is more fun than the usual thing though of just hoping to grab a UEFA Cup place :)

Two matches have been completed last sunday, which apparently wasn't cancelled.

In Bruges, no snow had fallen so the Bruges derby Cercle - Club could be played, it ended 0-1 for Club Brugge
In Genk over 20 cm had fallen, but the pitch was ready by sunday evening thanks to it's pitch heating system (finally it came in handy !)
Genk won the Limburgian derby against St Truiden VV (St Tronds) with 2-0, a third victory in a row which brings Genk up to fourth place.

After Anderlecht, now Club Brugge has also been thrown out of the Belgian Cup in the first round after they lost to Zulte Waregem, a team that just got promoted and now is ranked fourth. Both Belgian Champions League participents knocked out in the first cup match, says it all, doesn't.

For the second round, KRC Genk has been drawn to play against Sint Truiden VV, the other team from the Limburgian province. It'll be a nice derby, as Genk has won ALL matches in St Truiden in the last 7 years and haven't been beaten at home by them either :)

When do people think McLeish will get the sack at Rangers? It seems only to be a matter of time. My guess is when Rangers get knocked out of Europe, unless McLeish can conjure up some magical domestic form.

Top Bottom