1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Expansion Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Xineoph, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

There's plenty of mods which allow you to play as Hitler in Civ4... my own Wolfshanze Mod does too (though it's for BtS).

2. Synorbs

Synorbs Chieftain

Awesome ty, i shall be sure to give it a go. ;)

3. John_The_Last_1

John_The_Last_1 Chieftain

The best nations aren't the best .Which ever you fell more comfortable with for me:

Germany,Americans,Russians,Native Americans,and Spain

4. yarp72

yarp72 Chieftain

i would like to see the...
    Vikings
    Canadiens
    Australians
    great zimbabwe...Africa needs more civs
    Congo
    sumerians...they were important

the first cannadiens were actually vikings that had come over.
    they left though because it was so cold.
    people have found viking settlements in our currant canada.
    cannadiens should be included.

5. yarp72

yarp72 Chieftain

the vikings show up in earth 1000AD.
    you cant play as them though.
    thats the problem.

6. hockeyrox38

hockeyrox38 Chieftain

i'd like to see;
    Vikings
    Ottoman Turks (played a role in fall of Islamic Empire
    Austrailians (British who colonized)
    Canadians (I am one):goodjob::king:
    Congo
    Inuit:goodjob:

7. yarp72

yarp72 Chieftain

i would like to see the...
    Vikings
    Canadiens
    Australians
    great zimbabwe...Africa needs more civs
    Congo
    sumerians...they were important

great zimbabwe was a major empire in south eastern africa. they traded with the europeans. at some point their empire collapsed, because of an unknown cause.

if u had the australiens, would the unique unit be kangaroo riders?!
    lolololololol!!!!!

8. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Why does everyone keep saying "Vikings"? They've been in the game since Warlords!

9. Nemean94

Nemean94 Chieftain

Actually the first Vikings to set foot in Canada were not considered "Canadian" and they did not leave because it was cold, Scandinavia is more nothern than Newfoundland, so why should they leave Canada and not Scandinavia?
    Canada would be a great addition to Civilizations, they had one of the most important histories in North America, being the land that the first Europeans set foot on, it's defense against American raids, it's bravery in the World Wars and in Iraq, and the technologies that were born here.

P.S: The lightbulb was actually started by a Canadian man and bought off by Edisson:p

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Yup, the most important right after the United States and Mexico. Take that, Republic of Vermont! :rolleyes:

11. Jack @$$

Jack @$$ Chieftain

ur right canada has done nothing bu sit back and watch everyone else fight

12. Jack @$$

Jack @$$ Chieftain

why does everyone say canada. All they have is a bunch of woods half a water fall and a bunch of never fired rifles

13. Macezek

Macezek Warlord

There are too many stereotypes about Canada that people readily believe. What if I wrote that the US shouldn't be in the game because all Americans are gun toting racist rednecks that start wars everywhere they go? That wouldn't be a very accurate description, and it wouldn't be a nice thing to say.

I live in Canada, and even I don't think it should be in the game. It's not a "civilization" and not even 150 years old. In fact, according to the last census, the majority of people living in Canada (something like 52%) were born outside of Canada (so was I). Likewise, I don't think the U.S. should be considered a "civilization" since it's nothing but an independent British colony that did an excellent job at establishing themselves as a world power. It is just a game though, and Sid Meier and Firaxis have their reasons.

Just because the population density of Canada is much lower than the rest of the world doesn't mean everyone is spread out evenly across the terrain. Something like 90% of Canadians live within 50 km of the U.S. border. Canada has more drinkable fresh water than anywhere else on the planet (except the ice caps). We also have a powerful tech sector, and our economy is large enough to include us in the G8 (the 8 most powerful economies in the world).

As for military contribution... Canada sent hundreds of thousands of soldiers to fight in both WWI and WWII, we participated in the Yugoslavian war and now we're a major player in south Afghanistan, where most of NATO won't go because they're hiding in their bases in the safer north of the country. The previous government (1993-2006) was ******** (in my opinion) and completely neglected the Canadian Armed Forces, thats why they are in a laughable condition now. Either way, why have tanks and aircraft carriers when your neighbour is so concerned about security that they would be willing to defend you against pretty much anyone?

14. Saim

Saim King

Obviously now we're discussing possibilities for sequels or even yet ANOTHER expansion. Here's some civs that could be added (no I don't think all, or even most, of these civs should be added):

Europe
    -Venice
    -Papal States (what would the descriptions be though? Papal Empire?)
    -Italy (could include the Papal States and Venice, but I was thinking of it as more the Kingdom of Italy + Italian Republic)
    -Austria (sort of overlaps with the HRE like Germany does though)
    -Austria-Hungary (obviously Austria can't be included as well)
    -Hungary
    -Poland
    -Macedonia
    -Athens/Delian League
    -Minoa
    -Mycenae
    -Etruria
    -Huns
    -Normans
    -Hungary
    -Poland
    -the Bulgars
    Although I only really want Austria or Austria-Hungary, and maybe Venice or Italy. I think that while Europe has good levels of representation, its causing other great areas of civilization - India (the region, not the country), Southeast Asia, East Asia, North Africa, and even some great Middle Eastern civilizations like Assyria are being left out. I'd also rather like Greece being split into Athens and Macedonia, and possibly others like Mycenae and Sparta).

Sub-Saharan Africa (excluding the Horn of Africa)
    -Great Zimbabwe
    -Kongo

Saharan West Africa
    -Songhay

North Africa (including the Horn of Africa)
    -Axumites (I think that Ethiopia really represents the kingdom of Abyssinia, the modern state and the Solomonic dynasty, not every civiilzation in the region)
    -Ku****es (the best Nubian civilization, which have been for some strange reason not been suggested much on this board)
    -Christian Nubian civilizations are possible as well
    -Numidians or the "Libyans" (ancient Berbers)
    -Some Islamic Maghrebi civilizations - or perhaps the "Moors" as a single civilization
    -Perhaps Andalusia or some Islamic Iberian states
    Anyway, I think that the Moorish cultures of Northwest Africa should be represented as more than just the "Moors", but that might just be including a bunch of Berber+Arab dynasties.
    ------
    -Fatimids
    -Ptolemies
    -Ayyubids

OR

-Should they be included with Egypt?
    ------

Middle East
    -Assyrians (really should be in over the Sumerians)
    -Akkadians
    -Medes (the greatest power in Iran before the rise of the Persians)
    -Parthians (dominated Iran for some time after the decline some Persian dynasties)
    -Phoenicians (surprised at the fact that they're not already in, as with the Assyrians)
    -Seljuks (perhaps split into the Rum Seljuks and Great Seljuks)
    -Seleucids (a state that was created after the breakup of Macedonia)
    -Hittites (best ancient Anatolian representation)
    -Lydians (for more Anatolians)
    -Phrygians (for more Anatolians)
    -Armenians
    -Elamites (a non-Iranian state in Iran)
    -Israelites
    -Himyarites (south Arabian state culturally associated with the Horn of Africa)
    -Ilkhanids (the Mongolian succesor state of Middle East)

Central Asia
    -Timurids
    -Khwarezmids
    -Afghans (mainly the Durrani dynasty)
    -Ghaznavids
    -Sogdians
    -Tibetans
    -Uyghurs
    -Chagatai Khanate (Mongol sucessor state of Central Asia)
    -Golden Horde (Mongol sucessor state in Central Asia/Europe)
    -Kushans

East Asia
    -There isn't really anything, other than states that most would see as part of China, Korea or Japan. Maybe the Goguryeo and Silla kingdoms could be split from Korea.
    -The only other thing I could see is Manchuria (in case you're thinking: wait, that's in China!", yes, it is now, but a large number of the civs in Civ IV no longer exist anyway.
    Perhaps the Chinese dynasties should be split? After all, we have the Byzantines and Romans, the Germans and the Holy Roman Empire, the Egyptians and Saladin as a leader of Arabia for som reason, so why not?

Southeast Asia
    -Srivijaya (the biggest Indonesian empire)
    -Thailand (possibly split into Ayutthaya and Siam)
    -Malacca
    -Sailendra
    -Majapahit
    -Vietnam
    -Pyu
    -Mon
    -Champa
    -Bamar/Burmese (ethnic Burmese aka Bamar or Burmans: Pagan, Ava, Toungoo, Konbaung)

India
    -Mauryas
    -Guptas
    -Mughals
    -Vedic civilization
    -Cholas (conquered parts of the Malay Archipelago and Peninsula as well as large parts of South India)
    -Chalukyas
    -Hoysala
    -Kakatiyas
    -Rashtakrutas
    -Pallavas
    -Pandyas
    -Delhi Sultanate
    -Deccan Sultanates
    -Ahom
    -Vijayanagara
    -Marathas
    -Sikhs (not the religion - the states rebelling against Mughal rule)
    -Rajputs

Perhaps the Mauryas and Guptas should be grouped under Magadha, as well as many other of the dynasties as part of a single culture, but I'm not sure if they are. Most sources on the Maurya and Gupta empires don't say that they are actually Magadhi or whatever, while Wikipedia seems to think so.

New World
    -Polynesians
    -Iroquois
    -Sioux
    -Olmecs
    -Chavins
    -Moche
    -Zapotecs

I've recently been working on modding in civs, starting with the Ku****es, Phoenicians and Venetians, soon will begin Mughals, but I'm really having trouble getting UUs and UBs even after borrowing books from the library (I prefer not to rely too much on Wikipedia). Especially UBs.

For the Phoenicians I've settled for the Hippoi as the Phoenician UU, the Greek word for their trading boats with the horse face at the front, as a workboat replacement. I would give the Venetians a workboat replacement too, but its problematic since I should really give them a replacement to a Middle Ages unit. Perhaps a Galleon replacement?

Anyone have any suggestions for UUs and UBs for any of the above civilizations?

15. yarp72

yarp72 Chieftain

Nemean94 said that the first Europeans set foot on North America. that is incorrect. columbus actually landed his ship in the Bahamas. many people dont know this.

16. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

Actually, the Vikings discovered Newfoundland in something like 1000 AD.

17. Willem

Willem Deity

Yeah right. In both world wars, we had troops on the ground long before any Americans ever showed up.

18. gusi

gusi Randduke of Randorra

Hi Saim,

That is ambitious!

For Polynesians you may want something like the carrack that can transport units across oceans early, perhaps even at galley level. Alternatively you could have a lighthouse that extends a large 'no sink' region around a city. Not sure how you'd mod it though.

Venetians were famous for trading and had trading concessions all over the place. UB would have to be something like an improved bank, or marketplace. Ideally you want them to be able to found Civ Jewelers Corp in the middle ages and then spawn it to all its opponent in caravels. The Sumerians get an early courthouse so it may be possible. It could be a game breaker though. UU could be something like the dutch EIM.

Indonesians and Javanese may need something like more food out of their BF cross. I think they get one extra rice harvest per year in Java. How about a granary (Terrace/padi) that adds slightly more food. Or saves 60% instead of 50% of your grain.

How would an improved workboat operate? does it yield more food or commerce from a resource square?

I have to admit that I don't know anything about most of those other Civilizations. IIRC The Sogdians lived on the upper banks of the Syr Darya and Amur Darya rivers and Roxanna (the kings daughter?) married Alexander the Great. But that doesn't suggest anything about a possible leader, UU and UB.

You may get something from other forumites who (or whose ancestors) come from those regions.

19. Saim

Saim King

The Carrack is the Portuguese UU though, isn't it? I don't know why - the rest of Europe had carracks. That's a good idea for the Polynesian UU - that would really be what they're known for.

What exactly is a BF cross, and what is a "padi"?

That's what I was thinking.

EDIT:
    Here's a sort of redo the list of Indian civs, with culture rather than dynasty in mind:

India
    Telugus (Satavahanas, Pallavas, etc.)
    Kannadigas (Hoysalas, Mysore, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Chalukyas, etc.)
    Magadhis (Guptas, Mauryas, Sungas, Nandas, etc.)
    Kushans (a dynasty, but they where a foreign Indianized one associated with no ethnic groups - they where however based in Gandhara)
    Tamils (Cholas, Cheras, Pandyans, etc.)
    Marathas
    Mughals (another foreign Indianized dynasty)
    Sinhalese
    Delhi Sultanate
    Ahom (a Tai kingdom established in Northeast India, modern Assam and the Assamese language, which is now Indo-Aryan, is named after Ahom)
    Vijayanagara (either Telugu or Kannadiga, unknown)
    Sikhs
    Deccan sultanates
    Licchavis

Or should each dynasty/state within the culture have its own civ? And where the Guptas, Mauryas, etc. even dynasties of Magadha?

20. gusi

gusi Randduke of Randorra

BF Cross - Big Fat Cross - all the squares accessible by a city, Not sure what the official term is.

padi - rice field

I don't know that much about Indian history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.