1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Experimental Graphical features

Discussion in 'C2C mod mods' started by Toffer90, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Lines? You mean the black grid (ctrl+t)? I could make it white; but if I have to make it thinner it would mean that each different terrain would have 1MB bigger textures.

Rivers and flood plains doesn't have any lines though; but do you want the new flood plains into core too?

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Well...? It's been downloaded 5 times now, so someone ought to know.

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

No, lines meaning XML file (lines) . . (meaning) dont put stuff in the "land" if the default is not land, i hope this explains it better . . .

EDIT: ahaha i forgot about the (squares) not lines, lol. sorry for the confusion . .

also remember i just said rivers, not all terrain right now, ok . .

5. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Sure, so, no flood plains then?

6. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

thats ok, :p

7. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Floodplains and rivers are now in SVN; but I can't add the new lake art without adding all ocean coasts due to the way they are fitted to the new land-water heightmaps.
    if I add the new lakes I need to add the new heightmaps for the lake shores to look good; but this would make the old coasts look bad.

8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Did the attachment in post #69 fix the reported white grid (e.g. post #68, picture 2) in water terrains?

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Chieftain

Not sure but I am not seeing any difference between polar, temperate and tropical waters any more either.

10. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

The difference should be visible; if you want it more visible I'll change it.
    I would prefer it if there was no difference though; but it's no biggie.

Edit: Not talking about coast water here, just regular ocean terrain.

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

12. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I will create polar- and tropical-Sea soonish as this is necessary for movement rules. I'm thinking they should have different art, as the current sea has a visible bottom as opposed to deep-sea. The current sea art will probably be the basis for tropical sea.
    I'm not sure if we need polar/tropical deep sea/coast though; that will depend on how frequent they are on maps I guess. if they are not too frequent a sea animal wouldn't get too far away from it's intended habitat by traveling the deep coast/sea. It could also make the border between polar/temperate/tropical climate zones a bit more organic.

13. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

14. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

@TB: Good point, but does it justify 4 new water terrains that would look more or less the same as the regular deep coast/sea? (do we need polar/tropical continental shelf too then...?)
    If the deep ones (including trench) only spawn a few select sea animals that can exist in all latitudes, and if all other sea animals (except the odd ones like Dugong) can traverse the deep terrains, then I'm almost sure no one would perceive this offset as a problem.

Repacked Terrain Pack for C2C V36 compatibility.
    Nothing new.

15. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

@TB: I was just thinking about what you said about making the polar/tropical terrain info into features.
    I kinda hammered the idea down because I got hung up on the graphical side of making this into a feature; but I just realized it doesn't really need graphics.
    This could save us a lot of hassle actually.
    We would still need to keep tropical/polar coast terrain due to their unique art, but most other water terrains doesn't really need differing art.

16. climat

climat Chieftain

solved

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The problem then becomes that unless we open back up the can of worms that is the multi-feature mod then the limit of one feature per tile becomes an issue as it then conflicts with reefs, coral, sea grass etc...

The deeper - non-continental shelf coastal tiles would be interesting in that submersible units would have some unique options that they normally wouldn't have in shallower coastal waters.

18. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

1. Thanks, that narrows it a bit down. I'm still stumped over the fact that I don't see those white lines in my games.

2. That is an easy to fix thing, thanks again.

Wasn't the main issue of multi-features that only 1 feature would be visible? Having no model/textures for the polar/tropical features would make it suitable as a secondary feature right?

Yes, we should aim at having the deep coast/sea even if it means having 3 versions of each.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Naw... there's some bugs that would need to be hammered out still. Probably not severe ones. It might actually be toughest to work into a mod I'm working on now and keep things from causing more delay than needbe. Thus my reluctance. Plus the amount of changes that would need to be introduced into the map generation mechanism for that... I'd wager it would prove more difficult than the original method.

20. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

@TB: Okey dokey, there's no rush on this.

Updated terrain pack
    • Another attempt to fix white lines in water. (reports on this would be appreciated either way.)
    • Fixed salt-flat - muddy blending issue.