Explanation, please...

english_cracker

Chieftain
Please can someone give short summary of what exactly happens? Everything that is being talked about isn't explained anywhere, which doesn't really support the "recruitment" of fresh blood. Does everyone play one game of Civ3?

english

www.downhillbattle.org

First of all, welcome to the CFC and to the demogame. The demogame is one of the most interesting ways to play Civilization, and I hope you and several others lurking out there stick around and join in on the fun when we get things started next week.

In the demogame, we all participate in the playing of a single game of Civilization. All participants in the game are considered citizens of our nation, and we hold regular elections for various offices (the President, the Advisors, Governors, Mayors of cities, etc.).

Throughout the game, the leaders will post polls and lead the nation in discussions on topics relevant to the game. They will also post instructions to the President on how to play the game. Every few days (on a schedule established by the President), the President will play the game for a brief number of turns (normally between 5-10 turns at a time) and the cycle will begin anew.

What you are witnessing at present, is a rather lengthy discussion/debate on the rules by which we will play this game. I encourage you to take part in these discussions if you are so inclined. However, if you are not, I still encourage you to linger and take part in the playing of this game. You will likely find it to be a rewarding experience.

hey EC. Don't feel bad. This is a difficult game to grasp without a little help in the begining. This will be our fourth Demogame, so everyone pretty much knows the ropes by now, but we still get a lot of requests for information on how this thing actually works.

And you're right, we're not setup very well in this forum for new-comers. I guess we're all used to someone else doing the main body of work. But here's a link to someone who had a similar question to yours and got an answer to it. New-comer.

Here's a link to a Welcome Center from our second game. As you might have guess the link above was from our last (3rd) game.

Welcome Center

FortyJ seems to have answered your question, so I'll leave it at that. Basically, we all try to work together to move the nation as a whole. Good Luck.

and we also have a website that further explains the game in detail. that is once its officially changed over to the new demogame

Welcome English_Cracker to DemoGame4.
I certainly remember what is was like coming to the DG for the first time. I have been here since the end of the DG3. I found the forum daunting. The constitutional talks are interesting if you are thinking about a career in politics :crazyeye: .

I like to hang out in the citizens groups. I especially like the Kights of the round table (or more currently the Guys hanging around a chaulk circle, because tables, chairs and knights haven't been invented yet). I is not directly related to the game-play of the demo game, but it is a lot of fun; especially if you are a monty python fan.

Once the demo game gets started, you wait in line to be a mayor of a township and will get to order your labourers around, set the build queue for your town and optionally host a RPG for your town.

If you are more adventurous, and have more time, you might run for an elected office.

I am surprised 40J didn't mention this (probably didn't want to overwhelm you) but there is also the CHD with I hope will be the highlight of the demogame, especially for the lurkers. It will have a creative history of what has gone on in the game as told by fictional characters created by citizens.

You can read more about that in the Creative History Department thread in the Government forum.

More later.

FortyJ was the most helpful, but thanks to all who replied. I think I have a good general understanding now.

Top Bottom