1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Explorers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by NikNaks, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Speaking of skimishers... did Davy get into a sword fight with a Samurai and lose?

Cuz it sure looks like he did... what happened to his disembodied hand? (still clutching his musket) Ouch!

2. avain

avain (key)

3. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Love the ouch effects. When that kind of thing happens you can try repairing the hand, or just try rigging it again from scratch.

4. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

That is really strange. I haven't done anything different from the first Davy...

5. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Maybe we were all too busy looking at the possum coming out of his hat in the 1st version to notice the hands... but the severed hand is definately there in this version!

6. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Is it a possum?....

Anyway, I'll upload another version in a minute or two. I've played with the bones so hopefully they shouldn't look detached. Hopefully. It should be a little lighter on processors too (deleted some unneeded nodes and bones).

7. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Well technically I believe it was a "mini-wolf"... but you never know for sure. I doubt you took the time to model a 'coon-head. :p

8. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

I have no idea what possessed me to leave the head on...

New version uploaded. That any better, Wolf?

9. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

It was pretty funny... but I guess you took enough flak over that one...

We'll see... I never know what head is going to be missing or what body part is going to be hacked off when I test your models! :lol:

10. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Strangely, only the ModCast guys picked up on it...
    Yeah, those body parts get annoyed really easily :crazyeye:

11. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

I picked-up on it too... but since you were fulfilling a request of mine, I kept a bit quiet on it... called it "artistic flair".

12. avain

avain (key)

Oh, com'on, guys, we all know that Wolfie is biting them parts off! Just admit. It's not like it's a secret or anything;)

13. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Okay... the verdict is in...

I have reviewed version 3,432 of the American Explorer... here are my conclusions:

1) He has a head (always a good thing)

2) His hands seem mostly intact (hasn't run-into a samurai lately)

3) Davy seems to have had an unfortunate accident with some super glue. While gluing his scale model of the Alamo together, he got a lot of super glue on his hands... hearing a strange noise outside, Davy motioned for his musket but found it stuck to the outside of his hands. Davy is now unable to actually grasp his gun, though it's definitely glued to his hands... though it's very hard to fire with his hands glued to the surface of the gun... to make sure I wasn't seeing things, I double-checked the Oromo Warrior (same animations)... the Oromo Warrior is definately grasping his gun... while Davy definately has it glued to his hands.

4) Other then #3 above, model looks really good. :thumbsup:

14. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

*Sigh*. I'm going to need to do some fiddling with the hands. I could always put them back to being severed for the time being...

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Niks I'm in your corner, cheering for you. I know you can pull this off man....:goodjob:

Wolves are really dogs waiting to be domesticated, so he's cheering for you too I'm betting ;):lol:.

16. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Maybe if I moved the arms instead of the hands, I could fix both problems. If that doesn't work, I'll have to enlist the services of a more established unit maker.

17. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

If I'm not mistaken, I think the gun itself is too close to the body... look a the top picture (with the detached hands)... when you re-attached the hand (which was previously holding the gun), the hand shifted up to the arm, but the gun stayed where it was.

Now the back of the left hand is "glued" to the gun... the right hand is also not holding the gun (the gun seems too close to the body).

If you look at the Oromo Warrior... the gun is definately further-out from the body. The arms are where they need to be, the gun is not.

18. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Hm, that's odd. I don't remember changing the gun at all.

19. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

I'm not pointing fingers, I'm simply stating some facts here. Whether or not you changed the model (or think you did/didn't) the gun hands/arms were all just fine in the v1.0 Davy Crocket (if you doubt that, you can still see the v1.0 picture in the first post of this thread). Since you made changes in v2.0 or v3.0 (or whatever it is now), the hand got chopped off and the gun has moved much closer to the body.

It is what it is.

You can tell by the pictures I posted the gun is closer to the body in relation to the hands/arms... and when you reattached his hand to the arms, the gun stayed where it is in the picture... and if you double check that with the Oromo Warrior, the new Davy Crockett is holding his gun much closer to his body then the original Davy or the Oromo Warrior.

Somebody changed things around... and it certainly wasn't me.

20. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Okay, okay. I said I'd take a look at it. Just give me some time.