Explorers

Davy Crocket looks very Davy Crockety (and I'm glad the German doesn't look half as dandy as in Wolfshanze's pic)!:goodjob:

PS: OK, I heave a really out-there request: could you do a Space Marine MOO2-style???

I'm now taking requests.
Well, English Explorer (Dr Livingston, I presume) Native Explorer (Female Indian Guide) or Middle-East Explorer (we already have American, African, European & Asian Explorers).

English Explorer:

Native Explorer:

Middle East Explorer:

Bra-freggin vo!

2 units in one day, eh? I've been thinking of doing something similar myself. (today) :mischief:

The only problem I forsee with a female native explorer is... what happens when you click on them if it's your unit (ahem... voice might ruin it).

Otherwise, I see no problems.

Okay... did some digging... when/if we get to a Middle East explorer, it should be based on Ibn Battuta...

Abu Abdullah Muhammad Ibn Battuta (Arabic: أبو عبد الله محمد ابن بطوطة‎) (born February 24, 1304; year of death uncertain, possibly 1368 or 1377) was a Moroccan Berber scholar and jurisprudent from the Maliki Madhhab (a school of Fiqh, or Sunni Islamic law), and at times a Qadi or judge. However, he is best known as a traveler and explorer, whose account documents his travels and excursions over a period of almost thirty years, covering some 73,000 miles (117,000 km). These journeys covered almost the entirety of the known Islamic world and beyond, extending from North Africa, West Africa, Southern Europe and Eastern Europe in the west, to the Middle East, Indian subcontinent, Central Asia, Southeast Asia and China in the east, a distance readily surpassing that of his predecessors and his near-contemporary Marco Polo.

At the instigation of the Sultan of Morocco, Abu Inan Faris, several years after his return, Ibn Battuta dictated an account of his journeys to a scholar named Ibn Juzayy, whom he had met while in Granada. This account, recorded by Ibn Juzayy and interspersed with the latter's own comments, is the primary source of information for his adventures. The title of this initial manuscript تحفة النظار في غرائب الأمصار وعجائب الأسفار may be translated as A Gift to Those Who Contemplate the Wonders of Cities and the Marvels of Travelling, but is often simply referred to as the Rihla الرحلة, or "Journey". Whilst apparently fictional in places, the Rihla still gives as complete an account as exists of some parts of the world in the 14th century.

Almost all that is known about Ibn Battuta's life comes from one source – Ibn Battuta himself. In places the things he claims he saw or did are probably fanciful, but in many others there is no way to know whether he is reporting or story-telling. However, due to the complexity and thoroughness of his recountals, we are left to assume that his chronicles were in fact true.

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

The Headless Explorer!

The German Explorer HAS NO HEAD in the little window on the bottom-left of the game screen.

On another note, I noticed his head might need to be slid-forward a bit... as seen in the Civilopedia...

The German Explorer HAS NO HEAD in the little window on the bottom-left of the game screen.

Dummkopf! Das ist mein brilliantze stealthen gruppen! :lol: (This bad German sentence brought to you by Basil Fawlty.)

In the bottom one it almost looks like his head's on backwards. :crazyeye: Also, I second the request for Ibn Battuta. :goodjob:

Nice first units NikNaks! You should make some buttons to go with them. ;) I'm planning on making some more explorers btw, but it's low priority as I recently played a game as the Chinese and never once saw an explorer the entire game (I went to 2050). :lol:

The only problem I forsee with a female native explorer is... what happens when you click on them if it's your unit (ahem... voice might ruin it).

Otherwise, I see no problems.

Easy.. just use the spy's audio. :rolleyes:

The Headless Explorer!

I've probably added the head to one too many bones again, like with the gun on Davy.
On another note, I noticed his head might need to be slid-forward a bit... as seen in the Civilopedia...

That comes from me having to shrink the original cavalry head to 1/4 because the hat stuck out of his face (notice how thin the neck is). I'll have a play with it and see if I can make it look any better. I agree that it needs to be moved forward.

Good work on the explorers before. I would only suggest a better picture for the Native American to work with. I mean that one before I saw looks like it came from some bad movie where they could not find a Native to act in.

Here is one picture I have to help that I think is not that good, but I am sure someone could find a better one.

Got your PM: the original Marines in MOO2 are quite tiny, plus I can't take an in-game screenshot from those, so this is the best I can do (they're from 2 [civ2] scenarios I did, so please ignore the poor graphics):

Attachments

• MOOjr4UNITS.7z
    29.9 KB · Views: 198
  • MOOjr3UNITS.7z
    32.2 KB · Views: 215
Concerning Native female explorer's voice...
Easy.. just use the spy's audio. :rolleyes:
Damn Chugg, you're smart... (I never would have thought of that).

Good work on the explorers before. I would only suggest a better picture for the Native American to work with. I mean that one before I saw looks like it came from some bad movie where they could not find a Native to act in.

Here is one picture I have to help that I think is not that good, but I am sure someone could find a better one.
The problem with the natives is that they don't change outfits much in hundreds of years... your picture could just as easily pass for the Native Scout unit (or the native Archer, or the native Longbowman, etc, etc). The reason I chose a FEMALE Explorer is to not make it look like every other native unit (especially the native scout). I'm going for a stand-out unit that's unique.

Female models already exist for this game... NikNak wouldn't use the woman wearing the outfit in that pic to put in the game, so the source is pretty pointless... I was mainly confering that any female native as an explorer would stand-out as differant and not just look like "yet another native scout look-alike".

Plus it's popular... folks always want a few more females in the game, and since it is well documented that female natives were used in exploration, and it's one of the few times you could justify pulling-off a female unit that would be both realistic and stand-out from the crowd of shirtless bow-carrying native indians, why not do it?

Sacagawea helped Lewis and Clark for crying out loud (and would make a great companion for the American Explorer!)

Nothing against using a female or being more distinct, but the first with the crazy colored miniature tomahawk and all was not that great. It was a bad copy job is all. The new one you put up is much better.

Top Bottom