1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fall Patch" announced

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Pouakai, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

Will the Steam mods achievements get fixed in this patch? It is because I need only 3 achievements to complete them. They pertain to the mods. It was broken in the Steam workshop. And when will this patch be released?

Thanks!

2. crawf0rd

crawf0rd The One and Only

I didn't see it in the patch notes. Regarding the release date, all we have is "before windows 8" which comes out on October 26th. Other people have noted that these patch notes are quite extensive for a patch that might be released soon. In the past they only gave us patch notes days before release. My guess would be October 7th.

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Air repair doesn't mean repairing mid-air, it's just repairing aircraft. Melee and ranged units have an attack-and-heal option, and there's no reason planes shouldn't. It makes a small airforce viable when your bombers take nasty amounts of attrition damage just from doing their job.

4. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

One thing that has always bothered me about the Austrian UA (which I don't see in the notes) is that CS which are married into the Austrian Empire lose their status as CS. In every other game mechanic involving CS, they are treated like capitals. Chief among this is that they cannot be razed no matter how many times they change hands.

Now enter Austria and its broken UA. Once Austria marries a CS, it ceases to be a CS. When a player is at war with Austria, they are free to burn all these former CS to the ground. The cannot, under any circumstances, liberate these CS either.

I would like to see CS absorbed into Austria remain CS for game mechanics reasons. They would get them with all of the buildings intact and without the :c5happy: penalty of a conquered city, bot for all other intents and purposes they would be treated like a conquered CS. When another player rolls up with an invasion force, they should be given the option to liberate CS from Austria, and should not under any circumstances be allowed to raze said CS to the ground.

At the very least, this would introduce a compelling reason for a player to DOW Austria for taking one of its CS. They could liberate their CS ally. As it is now, they can only overthrow the Austria friendly government from the former CS and then choose to annex or burn their former CS ally which seems out of place.

5. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Really, if the "Render Error" fix makes my games stop crashing, everything after that is pure gravy.

6. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

But then why call it `air` repair? The description even calls it repairing in flight. It`s obvious why normal land units can repair, but air units shouldn`t be able to until they`ve landed.

Last I heard, aircraft engineers don`t hang on to flying aircraft in case the wing needs repairing.

It`s silly, no matter how you try to reason it.

7. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

Just think of it as a boost to repair time, or nanomachines

8. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

A possible one. ok.

9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

When a bombing mission normally takes about five years or so, there's plenty of time to learn how to do this. :rolleyes:

10. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Large aircraft (particularly bombers in WWII) did actually have engineers who made on-the-fly repairs.

Also, this is a silly complaint.

11. black213

black213 Emperor

Let's hope the optimization will make the turn times a bit faster :)

12. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I'm very surprised they haven't nerfed the offensiveness of the great general citadels. After they gave them this stealing land possibility warfare is just pure boring.

In multiplayer games the map is painted with citadels everywhere outside disputed cities. It's just plain stupid. Planting one next to an enemy city will also weaken the defender there every turn. Please give us back the old fun warfare, not a citadel spam warfare stupidness.

My suggestion: Make players have to choose between making a citadel (no culture bomb), or just using the general as an ordinary culture bomb (no citadel). That's more then powerfull enough for the Great Generals.

Would also be nice if a tile with a citadel on never could be culturbombed by an opponent. My main point is citadels should be best defensively, not for blitz-krieging the opponent.

Otherwise this patch seems great. Abit worried the 25 hit point per pillage can be to high a bonus. We'll see. But very intersting idea.

13. juxtapose519

juxtapose519 Chieftain

I like the way citadels work. Before the change, great generals were just plain useless. Now they serve a real purpose.

I do see how they can be abused, but I don't play multiplayer so it doesn't bother me. I do agree that they shouldn't be allowed to be placed next to other cities and citadels, but otherwise I think they're great.

14. plastiqe

plastiqe Grinch

LoL @ everyone who bought Civ5 when it came out.

I learned my lesson way back with Play the World to just wait for the complete version. Didn't think Civ5 would ever get there but I guess there is hope now.

15. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

It could have been worse. Sword of the Stars 2 was absolutely broken at launch and required weekly patches for months before it was playable.

I still won't buy it out of spite.

16. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Deity

To differentiate it from promotions for other unit types that would have the same name.

It's just words. Who gives a crap?

17. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

I can't see what it adds to gameplay in singleplayer either, beside of more possibilities to exploit the poor AI.

With my sollution the Great general is better then before the gk-EXPANSION, because you still have the flexibility to take land with a culture bomb, but then not with the citadel placed there too. More then strong enough. No need to overpower the Great General to make warfare almost all about citadel placements on the offensive. This makes

So boring that I have almost stopped playing Civ, even though I loved everything else in Gods and Kings. I only play MP. If I play SP I can of course choose to not exploit this vs the AI... but what's the point in having this feature then afterall?

18. AbbieRevo

AbbieRevo Non-Voting Delegate

Not sure if anyone noticed this but:

"Added "Restart Game" option to game menu. This option lets you restart the game and generate a new map using your current pregame settings. It's only available at Turn 0."

Efffff yessss

Moderator Action: Not much to discuss -> merged with the main thread.

19. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

does this fix the issue that broke Spatzimaus' mods?

20. Wodan

Wodan Deity

That goes both ways. I've had the AI culture bomb ME. When you're trying to be peaceful and lose a vital strategic resource, it sucks rocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.